Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Where abouts in Tipp are you? Gurteen in North Tipp showing 49mm.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭giveitholly

South Tipp,wouldn't be that far from the Galtee mountain range

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I know Galtymore well. I wonder has that impacted ye. Rain clouds from the south struggle to get over that 917m peak and dump on southern side or in the valley.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭pureza

Its like a sauna but actually not sweaty,just hot,I think even @highdef Might even struggle

The regular thunderstorms are far from boring !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Potential squall line might develop in the next couple of hours....its over galway now but does not look like much yet on the satellite but by the time it reaches the midlands east and north it could be bad enough…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

No squall line line now...it just looks like alot of small showers that will probably merge together into big thundery showers when the heat starts to build up during the day...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lot of heavier showers earlier this morning here in Kerry, even leaving some surface water in the garden, less showers now the last few hours but a heavy one just went through quickly a short time ago.

12.4c and feeling a tad cool in the breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Miserable drizzle all morning in NCD.

Feels cool out there at 12c.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Decent morning in Naas but gone very dark now and thunder and lightning with torrential rain has arrived.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

After a wet and grey start it's turned into a decent Summers afternoon in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

From light into darkness…

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

Some band of showers hitting Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Unfortunately still damp, grey and cold here in North Couny Dublin, no sign of summer.

Not this again...for me May is Summer. As I said on the 1st of May's weather forecast on rte Joanne DDonnelly said May 1st is summer and that's good enough for me...think she has more knowledge on this then most of us on this forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stevensi

I'd be of that thinking as well that May 1st is the start of the Summer...

Spoke to soon...massive downpour in the city centre now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Damp drizzle and dark most of the morning.

Dried up after 1pm before the next clouds moved in.

Pelting here now.

14⁰ Meath

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

TBH, I couldn't care less what Joanna has to say! Google meteorological summer. This is a meteorological/weather forum. It is Spring (now). Summer starts June 1st. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd take May 1st to be the first day of summer also, May, June, July & August.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Does it really matter at the end of the day..people have different opinions I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

June, July & August is summer.

Any other suggestion is just numptyness 🙄😃

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

How are we supposed to keep records for statistical purposes if we have to have various versions depending on what certain groups decide what given month is in what season.

It's ludicrous to demand that a month belongs to a different season, just for your own personal opinion, rather than for the purpose of accurate record keeping. When you look up weather and climate statistics and records, they are all based on the seasons as per the Met Office so you're only confusing yourself by mixing things up in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So did anyone watch Gavs weather vids summer predictions today? Seemed like there are quite a few bad and good years in the analogues but I think we’ve an outside chance of a good July/August myself based on nothing only a hunch and law of averages re rain and wind. It’s been raining and windy for about 18 months. May has been better but not good enough surely to count as ‘settled summer weather’. Are there any summer 2024 threads for weather predictions like for winter?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The summer threads will be created later this week in time for Saturday 1st June. The good news for now is that next weekend is looking very good but of course things could change between now and next weekend.

I think we will see some very warm spells this summer but also some cool interludes. A mixed summer seems to be what most people are predicting, and hopefully nowhere near as a washout as last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It's not about opinions, statistically June July August are the warmest months of the year. August is on average 4 degrees warmer than May ! There's more of an argument for September to be a summer month than May….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Miserable here in carrick , very chilly , rain keeps forming to the south west going by radar play back , temperatures to drop down to 3c before sunrise tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Ah here, we've had that argument several times and have we not agreed that a lot of weather and seasons perception is in the head as we all perceive it differently. The whole concept of "real feel" is in the head.

While I don't personally agree with that poster about May, Irish summers, especially, can't be confined to stats and dates. For me, for example, summer is really mid June to mid September and May is the build up.

Whatever, our differing views on the dates of summer, let's hope we get a proper one in 2024! 😍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dazler97

This is what charts looked like this time 4 years ago , I remember it well summer 2020 was so nice and just as well considering we were only 2 months into lockdown

Advertisement