Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options
1555657585961»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Yeah I noticed that too. Met Office also has the forecast similiar to Met E. Let's hope MT sees something they don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I wouldn't be so sure. I fully expect the clouds to burn off across the country by lunchtime, same with tomorrow and probably partly sunny/cloudy on Sunday.

It's only 10.30. Keep the faith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭squarecircles

2 DAYS AGO

Next week could turn even warmer and nights will not be quite as cool either, but in light and variable, mostly easterly breezes, some coastal areas notably in Leinster could remain a bit cooler; otherwise highs could be into 22-25 C range. Any northerly flow ending this spell is now indicated to be confined to regions from North Sea eastward at times next week, and more generally over Ireland not until around weekend of 8-9 June or into following week.

NOW

The latest guidance for next week continues to hold temperatures around 19 or 20 C south, and 15 to 17 C north. A weak northwesterly flow will likely move into some northern counties around Tuesday to Thursday which is when any rain in that region is most likely, further south it will remain mostly dry and partly cloudy in most central and southern counties.

MET EIREANN is even worse

Overview: Turning cloudier on Sunday and Monday light rain or drizzle at times. Becoming cooler and more unsettled through next week.

Wednesday and Thursday will be cool, breezy days with sunny spells and scattered showers. Highest temperatures of 11 to 15 degrees with moderate to fresh west to northwest winds.

11 degree maximun in june, what utter garbadge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I lit my stove last night, it was lovely, from the looks of things it might get lit again over the weekend but today has been pretty decent in south Dublin anyhow.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

18º and partly sunny in south county Dublin. Can't really complain.

May will end up around 2.5º ABOVE its LTA in Dublin at least. That's pretty significant.

No doubt some posters on here will go into a fit when MET E confirms its been one of the warmest Mays on record in some places.

In my opinion it really shows the impact of climate change that we can have such a warm May (by Irish standards) without a prolonged spell of good, sunny weather.

For those who'll say it didn't feel warm, well:

The average max temperature in May for Dublin is 15º. This temperature was breached on 24 days this month. We may not have had record-breaking heat. But the vast number of days were above average temp wise.

Phoenix Park will end the month with temps closer to the June average. Which is pretty remarkable.

However it has been cloudy. So it hasn't been as good a May as the temps would suggest. But it's been above average by Irish standards in most parts. Particularly further East.

Post edited by compsys on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

May this year was much warmer than last May. I remember temperatures struggling to make it much past 12C for majority of May 2023 in Dublin and the east coast even tho there was bags of sunshine, we had that nasty easterly breeze to deal with which kept temperatures below normal. It was a very different story further west with warm temperatures combined with the bags of sunshine. The easterly breeze wasn't really an issue this May and we got very lucky with warm temperatures and sunshine during the last spell of high pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Beautiful day. Hazy sunshine but warm nonetheless. Currently 19c N Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

When Ireland gets really good weather the East is often plagued with a cool easterly breeze and coastal mist. In April and May especially.

The East often gets the best weather in quite mediocre set-ups where there's slack pressure and a westerly breeze. This will often bring poor weather to the West but the East often stays dry and partly sunny with temps warming up a bit as wind crosses the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

I honestly find it cool with that wind. Even though it’s sunny here and sheltered. I’m a bit under the weather today though which probably isn’t helping. South Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Just back from a run. Baked.

I'd take this May and May 2023 every single year. Very dry month in relation to the average and most of the rain fell on 2/3 days. Dry and bright with some lovely sunny spells.

3 weeks until the evenings start to close in so embrace the light 🙂. The 6 weeks either side of the solstice are my favourite time of year. 9 weeks of that to enjoy. Enjoy the bank holiday!

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

IS their a summer thread

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Well bye bye spring 2024. I enjoyed May despite the very poor sun stats but another season to be forgotten. The highlights of spring 2024 for me were:

1. The snow day on March 1st. I got "trolled" with onshore breeze modification at home in Donaghmede with cold rain whilst Clontarf down the road by the sea had a winter wonderland. It was the most marginal setup I've ever encountered here and I thought December 2022 was bad enough with the marginality. Nonetheless, I got to the snow and enjoyed especially after a completely snowless winter in Dublin - I appreciate I got to experience some of the snow in the north in January.
    2. The G5 aurora display on May 10th. First of all a beautiful warm, sunny day. Unusually warm for May here on the east coast in fact, not far off 22 degrees. Then perfect clear skies for the biggest aurora display since 1989 that even exceeded the Halloween 2003 displays according to NOAA. I went to Kildare for it but could have stayed at home as my father seen it dancing in the sky above from our back garden. The amount of people I seen posting about it afterwards too was amazing. I hadn't seen such widespread reports on this scale since the epic sunset on 20th March 2020, a week before the original lockdown.

That's pretty much it aside from individual moments that I got to enjoy for photography sakes which can be seen in my collage below of favourite shots from spring 2024. Not one to remember at all. Probably the worst spring since 2013, even though it's been much warmer than that one. At least in my opinion of course. Hopefully 2024 steps up a gear for the summer because as of now to be honest it's been mostly a stinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭acequion

Overall it has been a decent May in Tralee. There has been a lot of dry weather and that's a game changer for us in the rainiest county in Ireland. But I'd by no means consider it shorts/beach weather, just pleasant late spring weather and we'll certainly take that. Yesterday was very chilly and gloomy until evening but today was lovely and quite warm, with a golden sunset promising nice things for tomorrow, we'll see.😎 The extremely long days wreck my head though, I just can't wind down like I do on shorter days and don't sleep so well.

Off to Spain the end of next week for two weeks. I'm like Gonzo. While I'm away the sun is guaranteed to play, so I reckon ye'll get yer heatwave first half of June.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Your cherry tree pic top left is absolutely amazing.
    where and when did you take that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Had my mildest May @13.6C since recording here , previous was last year and the year before.. Surprising enough given that my feeling was that it wasn't a particularly sunny month but that's subjective. Sunny weather also usually brings sea breezes here so maybe conversely that's helped the overall average?

Rainfall @ 34mm over 8 days was below average (May seems to flip between quite wet or quite dry here).

Max temp of 21.8C was around normal max, no frosts since January, so earliest last frost ever (11 years data set). Average wind was 3kmph which was lowest since last year, definite trend noticeable there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

That would be the Irish National War Memorial Gardens in Islandbridge near the Phoenix Park. Second best spot for cherry blossoms in Dublin after Herbert Park in Ballsbridge in my opinion. It was taken on the morning of April 20th, that lovely weekend we got when we felt relieved that fine weather still existed after such a prolonged period of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

It's lovely here in carrick today sun is splitting the rocks , must be 19c or so 😀 also I seen the northern lights this morning around 3am kinda faint but still seen them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Advertisement