Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Only about 2 seconds between each flash and thunder now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Area of LP with and upper low with associated cold pool aloft moving in over Ireland on Friday . Evaporation after the front moves through from Thurs/ early Fri with spells of sunshine . Light variable winds with areas of convergence and decent vorticity from the rotating area of LP all aiding the instability which could lead to some heavy localised showers and slow moving thunderstorms, some hail possible also. Deep layer shear not looking overly strong at this stage but initial charts showing decent lapse rates.

Thunderstorms isolated in nature perhaps and more pulse type could occur about anywhere and maturing and peaking from the available warmth through the afternoon I reckon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oooh…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Any updates on the possible thunderstorm tomorrow and Saturday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The blue shaded area in the Lapse rate chart for tomorrow Friday( underneath the coldest upper air combined with vorticity ) showing areas with the most probability of some thunderstorms and more so the closer you get to the coastal areas along the S, SE and E being aided by converging winds and peak diurnal temperatures in the afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pureza

I've just boarded a flight from CLT down to MIA and we have been told to expect a lot of turbulence as we head into Miami 😱

They've had record breaking rain there this past 2 days ,north of 10 inches

Seen that on the news crazy , how long you there for and here please take pics of the thunderstorms if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

surely something later on? looking W from Dublin

Nice sunny spells in Tralee with some hefty showers earlier, vivid blue skies, convection growing and moving inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Met Eireann have just issued a status yellow thunderstorm warning for Carlow, Dublin, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow, Tipperary, Waterford valid from 1pm to 7pm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

Heard a few rumbles in the distance from that cell thats passing over Granard now.

Looked impressive but the thunder died out as it came closer.

Post edited by lolie on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

I wonder if Meath will be added as there's just been a few strikes from a very potent looking cell in the Gonzoland area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭yagan

Good bit of thunder now around Cork harbour.

there’s lightning and thunder around alright but not one of any of the radars (lightning maps.org, met.ie, net weather) are showing any strikes so I presume something is down?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Blitzortung is showing sparks around the Cork area, haven't heard anything in the city yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Banarol

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Recent shower in Greystones has produced lightning juts off the coast.

Some chance of heavy local showers and isolated thunderstorms again tomorrow with a few hail showers possible. Again maybe pulse type in nature, parameters just the better side of marginal. Again possibly peaking in the afternoon, maybe getting the most activity in the midlands N midlands and SE. Decent amount of shear in the Southern half of the country, will see if it contributes some bit in the midlands ,surface temperatures only fair though, will need decent sunny breaks to form thunderstorms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pad199207

Claps of thunder in Kildare

Thunderstorm warning has been issued

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭The Macho Man

Clap of thunder south of Portarlington, first I've heard this year. Long time coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

distant rumbles here near Trim, reallly dark clouds to the south of us

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Drifting from the North. Might blindside places normally more immune.

Ye hopefully I don't get them I want to go out for my evening walk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Big clap of thunder just now in Celbridge.

There was a rumble an hour ago too during a downpour, but it's currently dry and sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Clap of thunder N Kildare, looks like a potentially bigger shower/ cell moving in this direction about 15 minutes away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Pretty sure I heard thunder a couple of minutes in Dublin 22. It's sunny though, and there's an ice cream van outside the house.

• Advertisement

heard it as I sit in the garden with a cold beer enjoying the sunshine

Advertisement