Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Big cell to my East (SW Laois) sparking away, looks like Portlaoise and Abbeyleix in the firing line. Despite very dark and ominous clouds overhead, got away with just a bit of light rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

more rumbles. Ominous clouds to the North. Seem to be slow moving

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lightning observed in N Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Nice cell forming overhead. Rumbling away with lightning. Mt. Leinster, Carlow/Wexford border

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Two very heavy showers in South Wicklow in the past half hour or so but thunder is way off in the distance. Looking at the radar the worst of it seems to be the West of my location towards Tinahely

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The upper shear seems to have helped storm development later in the afternoon combined with peak diurnal heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I meant to say yesterday how surprised I was that the thunder was in Kildare and much further away than I thought, to me it sounded much closer, somewhere west of me in Dublin.

what I’m saying it seems sound can travel differently in certain atmospheric conditions, I wouldn’t normally hear thunder from as far away as Kildare in my parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

Tremendous downpour near Ardagh, Longford. Surprised there was no lightning, what with the intensity of the rain. Had been lovely warm sunshine just prior and the torrential rain began so quickly that I'm stick in one of the sheds for the past ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Currently on holidays in Bordeaux, Thunderstorm activity since about 2am, great light show during the night, still going strong,one right overhead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

Live broadcast of severe thunderstorm from Germany on RTE 2 currently 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

The UEFA EUROS knock out match tween Germany Denmark has been stopped due to severe thunderstorm over head. Lots of lightning strikes plus big hail stones and very heavy rainfall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I can’t access any lightning maps, it appears that they have all crashed, I can’t think of any other explanation? LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Rain Spreading From The West

More pics from Dortmund .. Germany v Denmark match suspended. Though looking like starting again now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Could be some thunderstorms tomorrow across the east ,let's see anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Risk seems to be in the evening and overnight in the east.

From met.ie

It will be a mostly dry start to tomorrow, Friday with sunny spells during the morning. Cloud will increase in the afternoon and slow moving showers will gradually spread from the southwest. Some of the showers will turn heavy with the chance of thunder and spot flooding. Highest temperatures of 15 to 17 degrees with light southwesterly or variable winds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Shortwave rough producing heavy shower going through Tralee now, a lot of deep layer shear available today with some lower level shear and increasing cold upper pool, all very marginal, will we see a few isolated storms break out , especially the Southern half of the country, maybe a few tonight also more towards the coasts, maybe the W or SW or S but low chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,157 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Torrential rain, thunder and lightning here in Castlebar moving east

• Advertisement

Very heavy rain went through here near Tralee for over and hour around 17.30 to 19.00, brighter now from the West but some big convective clouds around the coasts.

Powers gone here due to lightning 🌩

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭StormForce13

Yes carrick on shannon , but I'm always prepared for a outage have candles , gas stove , power banks batteries etc

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Torrential rain here in South Kildare just after 8pm, gutters overflowing, roads and garden flooded.

Hit a peak rate of around 80mm/hr with a rumble or two of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭The Macho Man

Currently a large torrential downpour in Newlands Cross, no thunder or lightning. Just a big dump of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy Downpour of rain and hail in Kildare with thunder

Looks like potential for heavy rain and thunderstorms on Monday. Complex LP with occluded fronts and troughs moving over Ireland with a lot of relative vorticity, possibly a couple of center's of LP . Shear is low but a lot of moisture in the atmosphere , temp into the high teens ( ARPEGE showing just getting over 20C ) and humid with subtle areas of convergence. Possible negative tilted trough moving through its axis aiding instability. Potential for localised flooding under some of the convective rainfall or slow moving thunderstorms.

A shift in track of the LP for Monday could see most of the thunderstorm activity over the UK. Lower chance now for Ireland but could get the odd isolated storm.

• Advertisement

Main areas with a small chance of some activity tomorrow is the SW and perhaps along the South I think. Low chance of Isolated storm, some heavy convective like showers expected.

Advertisement