Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Unusual to see temperatures rising as we go into the late evening, early night on thd met Éireann computer model, rising to 22 degrees as it approaches 8pm, and still 19 degrees at midnight, while only 18 degrees earlier at 3 pm, then the graphics show heavy rain /thunder from midnight onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Uk met office giving ulster the best chance of significant storms, most of the south and east escaping while the west gets a spell of heavy rain. It's a bit more in line with MT'S forecast of a couple of days ago. Let's see how this unfolds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭pad199207

overnight arome bringing the east back into play

As usual the forecast detail has been wrong from met Éireann and the amateurs, north Midlands and ulster now, so I'm done, nó interest now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭The Macho Man

I really hope you're wrong and we get some action but unfortunately you could be right. But I'll stay hopeful ☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Ros4Sam24

Could be in the firing line in North Ros, we could really do without the rain here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Darwin

I like to look at the High-res Ensemble Prediction System on met.ie which is usually pretty accurate within 24 hours. I'm not sure if this will get updated again later today, for now further East and South missing most of the action:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Watching through the models still some variance of where will get the most activity.

I think ECM / AROME /HARMONIE is a good mix. So IMO could see thunderstorms come ashore in the S, SW, W, SE from early evening moving up the country on a path towards the NE. I think every county cannot be ruled out of having a chance of a thunderstorm and a severe storm could happen anywhere. More than likely there will be an increase in intensity as the weather moves up through the midlands and into the NE in the early hours of Monday morning and could see it cleared the coasts in the NE by around 08.00. Anywhere could get intense rainfall accompanied by hail, more so in the midlands and NE early morning.

It will be interesting to gauge the level of activity in the early evening to see how unstable the atmosphere is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭JVince

Listening to radio news and online newspapers, you'd swear a major weather event is about to happen with the catastrophising of a basic level yellow warning.

They are also saying it's for the entire country. But it's not.

Why do the media have to sensationalise what is effectively an advisory of heavy overnight rain and possibly a few thunderstorms - nothing unusual at all, but handy to know if you have dogs or other animals that fear thunder or leaving things outside that should not get wet.

But this "headline news" manner of the media is like calling wolf when it's simply not warranted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,751 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Advertisement

So after all the potential, and expectation,this is it, a band of (possibley) thundery rain.wow.

southeast counties removed.

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary, Connacht, Longford, Louth, Meath, Offaly, Westmeath

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Update: A band of heavy rain will move eastwards Sunday night and early Monday, with thundery downpours possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,194 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

As Meteorite said anywhere could see a storm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I always had the feeling this would be thundery rain rather than thunderstorms in the west,but we shall see. Speaking of thunderstorms, we had a brilliant one a few years back around about this time. I had never experienced rain or wind like it before. It will be a long time before we experience a storm like that one again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Yellow - Thunderstorm Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry

A narrow band of heavy rain and thunderstorms is expected during the early hours of Monday, before pushing quickly east, clearing around 0700. Whilst not all areas will be affected, where storms do occur frequent lightning, gusty winds and possibly some large hail will be additional hazards. As the heavy rain moves through, 20-40 mm could fall in an hour or so, with a few places perhaps seeing 60 mm by the time rain clears.

Arome is very interesting for the majority of the country and usually Arome does best in these situations.

This will probably be the time that’s it’s wrong 😆

Its thundery rain because met eireann dont have the expertise to forecast thunderstorm activity, hence the constant changing of ambigous flowery language regarding thunder, hop across the border and the met office have the confidence to say thunderstorm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Well as usual, widely forecast thunderstorms will most likely produce another significant bust. Long experience has taught me not to get excited about predicted thunderstorms until I actually see the flashes and hear the thunder.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Quite a few storms in the Bay of Biscay which look to be moving north.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,837 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Storms gathering off the south coast. Maybe reaching the Cork, Wexford coast within the next 2 hours or so. Be interesting to see how this all develops overnight.

https://www.sat24.com/en-gb

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Getting closer.

• Advertisement

Status Orange - Rain warning for Donegal, Leitrim, Sligo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Very heavy and thundery rain for a time tonight.

Impacts:

• Localised flooding
    • Very difficult travelling conditions

Valid: 00:00 Monday 12/08/2024 to 04:00 Monday

12/08/2024

Issued: 15:34 Sunday 11/08/2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Is it tracking more to the east on radar? Looks like it's going to push up the midlands so wouldn't rule out the possibility of anywhere getting storms just yet, SE included. Interesting evening ahead perhaps. Surprised to see the SE removed from the warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭pureza

Yes those are moving North East ,worth watching ?

If I were to guess,I'd say into Waterford and wexford but could be high based showers meaning little rainfall ,hard to know untill we get reports from the ground,conditions seem ripe for showers to break out east of the front which is what those are and would be consistent with what arome was showing earlier if you saw that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Scrabbel

Most of you already use this I'm sure but for those who don't have it yet, I find this to be the best real time lightning tracker. Have a look at an area of the world where there's a heavy storm.

https://map.blitzortung.org/#7.47/51.475/-8.359

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Saz_ie

Two long rumbles heard in Shannon - wind is picking up and gone very muggy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

South Tipp, rain is coming..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Storms come and go in particular cells. They die off, rejuvenate and are just impossible to predict, even when 5 kms away!! Some will see storms and most won't is probably the best guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Dan Steely

No Netweather convective forecast up yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,194 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Shannon Airport reporting a thunderstorm at 5.30pm . 23 degrees!

Advertisement