Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

That storm coming on to land in West Cork has certainly fired up big-time.

http://archive.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭pureza

its a very tiny cell here,you wouldn't think it capable

This is what it looks like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Rougies

Yeah that was the stuff that came over Wexford, you literally stole my thunder!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

unbelievable rain thunder and lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭pureza

Its gone away now as fast as it came,a little bit of rain with it,but doesn't it tell you though that the athmosphere is primed and ready

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Rougies

Yeah looks savage alright. A lot earlier than expected too. Maybe it bodes well for lots of action tonight, very hard to call these events.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ominous skies in Greystones at the moment.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ominous skies in Greystones at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Hefty storm moving up through cork towards Limerick. Gone very dull even dark here near Tralee, 19.8C and feeling very close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭pad199207

That’s the start of the line now over Cork that will spread NEwards probably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Listening to the rumbles of the strikes west of kinsale. Couple of strikes near.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭moby2101

Really Kicking off here now in South Circular Road Limerick, house just shook on the last blast😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

My earlier scepticism may yet prove to be ill-founded here in Limerick if that storm maintains its trajectory and vigour!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Id say it is the beginnings of the trough ahead of the front, pretty lively and all the big stuff to come later in the night /early morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Few sparks out in the Atlantic too now I see.

Very dark sky to the west in Galway. Dry though so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭pad199207

Its traveling at a fair speed and looks to be intensifying, a cell just off Dungarvan perhaps?

Actually it is two different cells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭squonk

Not expecting anything major off this for north Clare really but this safe Sunday night (Aug 14, 2022) produced one if the biggest, most violent storm cells I’ve ever seen or am likely to ever see in this country. It lasted about an hour, coming in west of the sea and intensifying overhead. At its height there were multiple flashes continuously and a constant loud rumbling of thunder with torrential rain. Unbelievable and I’m glad I was in the right place at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Limerick in the zone now alright as was West Cork earlier!! It bypassed Cork City apart from the odd rumble West of Ballincollig

The whole event doesn't look hugely widespread, these storms can die off very quickly. L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

Lots of thunder and lightning in Limerick city right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Saz_ie

Plenty of rumbles in Shannon from the stuff over Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

My guess is what's coming tonight is happening now! I don't see anything later on especially for the South. The energy is there now and it already feels cooler in Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭squarecircles

met eireanns latest update is all very meh,move along ,nothing to see here…

all the ingredients and parameters were there, but as usual the atmosphere over ireland sucks the life and the fun out of everything.

Tonight

Tonight, showers will merge into a band of rain, heavy at times with thunderstorms and localised flooding possible. The rain will move northeastwards over the country tonight, clearing to the northeast by tomorrow morning. Lowest temperatures 13 to 16 degrees with moderate, occasionally fresh, southerly winds veering westerly with the clearance of the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭moby2101

That’s the Limerick hurlers getting ready to welcome ye to the Gaelic Grounds next year as Champions!😉

Congrats to Clare by the way 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭esposito

Nice flash of lightning in Dublin 16!!

And a long rumble of thunder too

Lots more to come in tonight / early morning januarySnowster, maybe scraping by Cork, maybe a bit North of Cork, you never know though but set to be very lively later as those bands cross the country.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That looks impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lightning and a long low rumble in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Can see the front now of Galway starting to form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Warning for Munster and Galway extended till 10pm I'd say we could have an updated orange warning for some counties yet and especially if the east gets any they will be added into the yellow

Advertisement