Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭AllForIt

A solid hour or more of it in Castlebar but seems to be fading away now. Was very intense. Would have to go back to 2016 to recall something comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭OrangeBadger

South Sligo continuous lightening/thunder for the last 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭obi604

East Galway stopped about 2 hours ago and it’s started again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 leprechauntimmer123

New here. Have a passion for severe weather so I am here. Quite the night in the West (still going as i speak), very active

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

Lightning to the west of Cork city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Nothing so far here in carrick since earlier ,think the main band is further west than anticipated

Seems like all the energy is wasted from now on, it doesn't seem like any other events will occur up the line. This has been a pretty decent outbreak, that's for sure. Was hoping for something at least in my area, hit or miss and i was on the miss end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Some lightning and thunder in Galway for the past few hours never saw as many flashes like daylight seems to be dying off at the moment.

Did ME issue any warnings for this thunder it's pretty severe around the place .

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭monster1

An almighty bang woke up up a few minutes ago mid west roscommon..

It wasn't a dream anyway, pissing rain, power gone. Distant rumbles now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A massive bang and then a lightning strike out of nowhere that temporarily knocked out the electricity. I say out of nowhere because all was quiet for the last couple of hours.

• Advertisement

Definitely not as much activity as the event is gradually beginning to hinder. CAPE values still 400+, nearly 500 at areas currently so should decrease in 2 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Storm has been ongoing here since about 11pn. Dies down a little then seems to come back again. Some really impressive forks out there again now

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It maybe be winding down but as oneiric3 says still some impressive forks about at the moment. It's the best event I have experienced in 24 years.

Purple lightning 🌩 here in carrick with extremely heavy rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Non-stop in Ballaghadereen for hours now though it's been ten minutes since the last flash. I can't remember the last time a show lasted this long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

What a show. Last 8 hour sferic animation.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Torrential rain , plenty of thunder and lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sudocremegg

Is it unusual for the west to have such long and intense lightning storms? Even living in the South East I haven't seen things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭ascophyllum

Became very intense in coastal West Mayo at midnight, flashes every 30 seconds or so, not much thunder, hard to make oit the forks through the rain but intensely bright, like a camera flash in your face. The last spectacle like this was 2 years ago almost to the day I think.

Kudos to @Meteorite58 for calling this as a big event a few days ago - it certainly delivered for many!

• Advertisement

Thousands without out power in Galway City and County due lightning damage ,

Well done we Meteorite58 great call way ahead of ME.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Had a few more rumbles through the night, fair play to ESB getting the power back on so quickly. I think I can mark that one as the best thunderstorm from recent memory in the west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭OldRio

We were awoken at about 4.20am. Torrential rain bouncing off the roof and then the bedroom lit up with the flash of lightning. This was followed by loud thunder echoing across the sky.

The storm lasted for about 15 minutes. Then utter stillness. The power of nature is really very humbling.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 9 owen3371

strongʻ SSE wind pushed the squall lines further west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Hi. I have a fantastic video from last night that I want to share with you, but I'm getting this error ( it's on x).

" Sites 'X.com' robots.txt did not allow access to the url"

Any suggestions on how to get around this?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

That was a crazy night. Power went twice but not for too long. Amazing display of lightning. When the rain eventually came, it was epic. A night to remember. The power of nature indeed.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Sadly house badly damaged by lightning in Cork, found this posted on facebook scary

https://www.facebook.com/CarlowWeather/videos/video-from-earlier-this-evening-near-ballineen-in-west-cork-with-electrical-pole/481938747872285/?_rdr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭highdef

Put it on youtube and use the attach link button (shown below) to add it here. Assuming it's in landscape orientation, it'll look normal when I view it on the telly :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Advertisement