Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭highdef

I think that's been posted already but still, it's rare to see an electrical pole on fire in Ireland, caused by lightning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭glightning

@Meteorite58 called this one well!

As for me, was away from home at a wedding and didn’t see a thing.

But looking at the sferics, seems like most of the action was west side of Ireland and my home missed out anyway. So the night time lightning drought continues since I’ve moved house (7 years now!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Extraordinary event over Ballaghaderreen last night. Almost 6 hours of continuous lightening and thunderclaps. Taken from the back garden. Looking South from near Ballaghaderreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭The Macho Man

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Robwindstorm

The big question is, did squarecircles get his/her thunderstorm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭The Macho Man

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nothing exciting to report the east coast/GDA other than a very impressive display of cloud to ground/cloud to clould lightning, which lasted over an hour, out over the Irish Sea. No thunder from it, so a lot of prople would not be aware of it/would have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭esposito

I think Squarecircles is based in Mayo? If so, surely they caught some good thunder and lightning.

@squarecircles please report back. Were you proved wrong in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Spare a thought for us in Meath looking forward to a lightning display, especially as it originally looked like our area of the country was in the firing line. We ended up getting a normal shower 😳

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Taken from reddit Galway last night spectacular video especially the explosion at the end

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/1eq6vfv/lightning_in_galway_last_night/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Had the camera out for an hour but unfortunately I dont seem to have captured any nice forks, just mostly flashes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

There was one almighty bang late last night. It woke me and it takes a lot to wake me. I thought a tree had fallen or something hit the house. Still not sure what it was, no sign of any damage. Sounded kinda metallic. Very strange but very loud.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I have same difficulty with X, but if you place cursor over the video on X and copy, then you paste into your post , that should work, sometimes you have to press enter for the tweet to load in the post properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,818 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That was some serious thunder, lightning and rain overnight here in Donegal.

Sounded like it was right on top of the house, and long time since I've seen rain so heavy.

Yet a glorious morning now, lovely sunshine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I see nothing on the front page of the RTE website regarding the severe electrical storms last night.

If it was on the East coast you wouldn't hear the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭monster1

Still have no power even though fault shown as fixed this morning on the outage website. I wonder did that massive bang that woke me around 3am hit the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nothing at all, despite over 30k premises without power this morning.

Also Met Eireann had no thunderstorm warning active for the vast majority of the thunderstorm activity. If this hit Dublin would it be the same? Absolutely not.

Not one for conspiracies, but it does seem if it's in the west it's not happening for our government organizations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Make sure you report it as a fault, sometimes they assume everyone on a line is back.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭squonk

That’s just it really. West of the Shannon you just don’t get the service. Even on RTE news even seeing Galen’s in Connacht you get a map with a pin. If it happens on the east coast, a camera crew are dispatched immediately. Sage with ME. I’m sick to death of hearing forecasters saying it’ll be a mostly dry week apart from some rain at times in the west, and when you hear that you know it’ll be far from dry as you’re getting the rain at source so to speak. Those storms were quite far west so could see ME forgetting about them but if it was Dublin there would be minute by minute warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: please stay on topic, there is a thread for Met Eireann related discussion, this thread is just for discussing Convective/ Thunderstorms only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

In Dublin and saw nothing at all. Been a lovely sunny day since 7am to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

Tried to upload this last night, YouTube seems to work

Was with kids watching fireworks in portrane last night which was Brought forward by 30 minutes due to weather in the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Needmoretea

Thanks for all your great pictures and reports of last nights thunderstorms. They sounded epic! I can't help but feel slightly jealous 😁 This was a very busy thread last night!

I was looking at the Met Eireann radar last night and there was a row of heavy rain blobs and crosses all the way down the west. I was hoping it would slip over more easterly 🙂

Very calm here in Dublin just a little bit of rain last night but nice pleasant day today and mostly sunny so I should not complain too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭monster1

Yeah reported it. Blown transformer over the road, estimated repair tonight 10pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I just hope it's not another 24 years before I get to witness an event like that again.

Wouldn't it be great if we were guaranteed a couple of nights like that every summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Wasn't out for the storm but got a few strikes offshore from Portrane, Dublin. Nothing like what was seen out west but I'll take it especially considering I wasn't expecting or planning for it. Seen a massive sheet lightning strike too that my camera was out of focus for pffff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Ah, was it Yee at the bench? Was there someone there with a drone up? If so, that might have gotten some cracking footage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Got these in Galway last night:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭salamander27

Was at the spot where it happened today, in a place called Tierneevin. A local told me it was a high voltage transformer went on fire. Amazing that it lit up the clouds 8km away!

Advertisement