Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outline Permission - Changes

• 01-03-2024 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hoping to get some info on how restrictive outline planning permission is, is it possible to change things like division of the internal space, if the footprint of the house itself doesn't change?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What do you mean by internal space? Within the site? Within the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

Within the house, for example could you change the layout/amount of rooms within the house's footprint, if it didn't change the space the house has been laid out over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

it may depend on the specifics but in general yes

House plans are never submitted as part of an application for outline planning permission so the footprint as indicated on the site layout plan is merely a block and not indicative of the internal layout or indeed the overall size. If the outline permission has conditioned the max size, type and height of the proposed house then you will have to adhere to that when applying for full permission. Planners aren't generally interested in the internal layout of a house.

This submission did include floor plans, but it seems like they can change, good to hear! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Outline permission is not permission to build anything. The plan you submit afterwards is the plan that is granted permission.

I understand that, but the outline permission in this case is very specifically discussing the site as planned in the application, which included floor plans, drawings of the outside of the house, and overall site layout. So I'm trying to understand if the full permission application can deviate from that conditional approval without being in danger of being refused for that reason.

I'm confused. What do you mean by "discussing the site"? Is this a current planning application that hasn't yet been decided? Is this someone else's application that you wish to make a submission on?

As stated before there are no plans of any type submitted with an application for outline planning permission so there is a great deal of confusion based on what you have posted so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

An outline planning application does not give you conditional approval. It only agreement with the loose principal - eg that the site is suitable for a house.

You can submit plans, or not. But no specifics if those plans are approved. The plans you submit subsequently are assessed at stage. Being different to previous is irrelevant, either they are appropriate or not in their own righ

And just outline permission was granted with a feature on a plan. That feature even if unchanged could be the reason permission is not granted.

It's someone else's approved(outline) application I am interested in. I can obviously see the application online and there were all the plans mentioned above included, and considered during the various responses from the council/planners. The approval also reads as though approval is conditional on an adherence to the things laid out in the application, however I obviously don't have a lot of knowledge in this area, so maybe I'm understanding it incorrectly.

So you are essentially back to square one for the most part in the subsequent application for full permission? That's interesting, the application in question is very thorough and really appears like a full application, from others that I've seen. It may be a function of the area and the requirements, but there was certainly discussions in the correspondence about the specifics of the house and caveats for the outline approval.

I kind of thought that you were halfway there with outline approval in terms of timelines for full approval. It sounds like that might not be the case, though.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. So outline has been granted but is the application for "permission consequent" currently being processed? I still dont understand how or why you are seeing plans with the outline application unless the planners merged the files or someone scanned the docs into the wrong file.

The site is being sold as is with outline permission. I think maybe what happened was that there was a previous full permission application denied and maybe all the docs from that were just submitted as part of the new one, and that's why it's a bit odd?

All documents should be kept in their respective files but scanned and hard copies of drawings do end up in the wrong file occasionally. It shouldn't happen but it does. I suppose we're all human.

On one occasion in the past I recall discussing an outline application (by phone) with the local planner where he raised concerns about the type of roof on the proposed house. Initially I couldn't understand what he was talking about as plans weren't submitted but after a bit of discussion we established that one of the admin staff had accidentally attached plans from another application I lodged on the same day to the outline application.

On another occasion I had a client who applied for full permission but was granted outline. So you need to be on your toes when dealing with planning applications.

I think the latter is potentially what has happened! Thanks for all the info.

Advertisement