Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disputing Threadban in After Hours

• 01-03-2024 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I am disputing a thread ban issued by '@Raichu in the Deposit Return Scheme Thread on After Hours. I was thread banned with no warning.

They contend that I was "uncivil" which I completely dispute.

I would like a CmOD to look over the thread, (posts #2203 to #2225) and the subsequent PM thread with the moderator.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Can a CMod look at this please?

I can pm or post the PMs exchanged with mod whenever you're ready.

Thks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,855 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Hi @Ezeoul I can look at this for you.

As this is the Helpdesk forum and not DRP let's leave the PMs out for now.

Can you give me the background and can you show me the post that triggered the threadban? If the post has been deleted from the thread you will find a copy of it in your PMs where Jeremy Fit Renter presumably warned you and gave you the threadban. Just paste it into the thread please.

I'm on my mobile so the post numbers don't show up (yay Vanilla). Can you post a link to post #2203 so I can read it and the subsequent posts?

Thanks @Ten of Swords

Link to post 2203 as requested

Background is basically there was a bit of back and forth between I and another poster. The other poster was heavily implying that I was lying, but I did not report their posts as uncivil as I thought "we're all adults here" and its AH.

I wa banned for this post without warning.

It is relevant that I mention at this stage that I did not receive any warning. This is why I referenced the PMs between the Mod Jeremy Fit Renter, and I. I have Jeremy Fit Renter on Ignore (since last November for an unrelated matter). They acknowledged by PM that they knew I could not receive a warning from them as they were aware I had them on Ignore. I also could not see their post quoting mine with one word "threadbanned".

They have contacted me via another account since the ignore (also on another issue) so they could have contacted me if they wanted to.

Only after someone else asked me why I was threadbanned, I actually had to un-ignore Jeremy Fit Renter and PM them to find out what was going on (they claimed I was "uncivil"). I dispute this, as I believe I was no worse behaved than anyone else on the thread, and certainly not enough to warrant a threadban.

I did not receive any official notification of a warning until 6 hours after I had already been threadbanned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,855 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Is there anything in the PMs that is particularly relevant or essential for your dispute? I ask because this is not DRP so PMs can't be shown here.

IF there is something you feel is directly relevant and IF @[Deleted User] agrees then you can forward them to me - do not post them to this thread.

Or should we proceed without them?

I originally posted in Dispute Resolution, but I think Spear moved it here.

I disagreed with Jeremy Fit Renter that I was uncivil and he expressed in his PMs that he got frustrated with the thread in general, and I feel he took his frustration out on me by going nuclear over a trivial comment.

So I'll leave it up to you if you want to see the pms.

• Advertisement

You can send them to ToS, I do not mind.

OK I've received the PMs. I'll read through them and get back to you soon.

@Ten of Swords I wonder if you've had a chance to look at this? Thks.

Hi Ezeoul,

I've gone through the posts and the subsequent PMs and I am upholding the threadban.

You have not engaged with the moderator on this, nearly all of your PMs are berating him for one thing or another yet none of them acknowledge what you said in your post.

Your individual complaints are as follows;

First - Someone offering a different viewpoint does not mean they are "implying you are a liar"

Second - They were uncivil to you first. What they said in their post is a separate issue to this however in your next post you immediately said the exact same thing back to them

Third - You have the Mod on ignore. This is not, and never will be, a valid excuse. If you ignore a mod then you run the risk of not receiving mod notes relevant to you.

Forth - A mod can't issue a threadban without issuing a warning first. They absolutely can if they decide the situation calls for it.

Fifth - The mod was just taking their frustrations out on me. An unfair accusation imo that you have offered no supporting evidence for.

As to your explanation for your post. The mod asked you directly about the post and you sidestepped the question and refused to engage any further

For the record, the other party was not "offering a different viewpoint". They were arguing about something I posted as a fact of my experience, with the implication that I was lying in what I posted.

So I can't post the PMs here, but you can selectively cut and paste single sentences from them and quote them here?

I also note: "Second -  They were uncivil to you first."

Yet they are still posting on the thread, and have not been threadbanned for their behaviour, (despite it being reported) - in fact, they posted a baiting post directed at me yesterday.

Can an Admin review please.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Advertisement

You're STILL not going to address the post that you made that triggered the threadban in the first place?

This is not a DRP, you don't automatically get an admin review for this.

You can ask one of the admins to take a look if you wish, they may take a look for you.

I have addressed it. I believe it was a very mild comment (a lot worse has been posted on that thread) and a threadban was a nuclear reaction from the mod that was not warranted, and I stand by that. My position on that is not going to change.

The Dispute Resolution Process seems overly complicated. I read the sticky and originally posted in DRP, but the thread was moved here by another mod, so can you please escalate to an Admin, or advise how I can escalate to an Admin.

@bigbagofchips can you have a look at this please?

I am unable to find a list of Admins, and I know you are one.

If I might suggest you are far too worried about what other posters are doing and not with your own posting style and behaviour.

Nuclear option is and always will be a permanent forum ban. Thats the nuke.

you got a threadban because you can’t keep your head cool and cannot or will not accept that someone else being uncivil does not give you greenlight to do so.

I have a right to be "worried" about what other posters do, when it directly involves me, and double standards are being applied at the whim of the mood of the moderators.

I have nothing more to add here.

It doesn’t directly involve you whether or not another poster was warned for their behaviour.

As I have said previously you have absolutely no idea if they were warned or not. In fact I am pretty sure I checked and confirmed to you they were warned by another mod.

Im not going to one up other mods by chasing after them and following on with extra sanctions. That’s not my place.

Again my main reason for refusing to lift your threadban is that you will not admit you were uncivil without pointing fingers at other posters. Someone being uncivil or personally attacking etc is never a greenlight to respond in kind.

The admins are free to look at this if they feel necessary however I am unsure what you expect to get from them when both me, ToS a cmod have told you your behaviour is unacceptable.

As I have said previously you have absolutely no idea if they were warned or not. In fact I am pretty sure I checked and confirmed to you they were warned by another mod.

And I can confirm you absolutely never said or confirmed any such thing to me, and I find it very convenient that you are bringing this up here, now.

At this point, I honestly no longer care about the threadban.

It is secondary to the ridiculous double standards being applied to different posters - it's an absolute joke.

I'm done with it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,962 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, I've had a look and cannot find anything to fault in the review undertaken by Ten of Swords

Your threadban remains

I would suggest you take on board some of the comments made here.

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement