Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WEC 2024

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

One of the Lambo hypercar’s has different front tyres to rear - is that a thing in endurance racing or just specific to Le Mans?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Strategies can be different for loads of things. Not changing two tires every once in a while can be a time saver.
    They also have a limit of tires for the race so double stints might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Never seen it before but id imagine it's allowed in all WEC races. It seemed like it made the car a bit unbalanced, both drivers had trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Kubica totally at fault there, the BMW can't just disappear!

He should expect a penalty after this safety car, especially after the Porsche 4 got a penalty for clipping the 85 Iron Dames.

Was there any mention of the #46 BMW getting a penalty for punting a car off shortly before the safety car period? Missed the last 30 mins or so.

Ok so just a warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

The safety is going on for a while now.

But I know safety comes first and they need to repair the barrier properly

Starting to rain very heavy now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Chaos in the pits now haha

• Registered Users Posts: 30,245 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

wonder how this will play out, would imagine worth getting a penalty to be on the right tires

Shame for #46, bronze driver binned it into the gravel, unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Maybe the thinking was to generate a bit of grip on the front. With no tyre heating they're probably struggling to get heat into the front. They're spinning wheels out of the pit box and getting heat into the rears but front are colder

Slick tyres on a wet track doesn’t help either. 😁 But several teams seem happy to take that gamble and just rough it out until it’s dry enough to push.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Halftime, seven cars, four manufacturers on the lead lap!

https://x.com/mans_24h/status/1802144982058311976

Just tuned in again now, another safety car I see.

Could not count 11 cars still on lead lap

Cadillac, Toyota, Ferrari, Porsche all able to win

Shite, #83 Ferrari is out. Toyota looking strong.

Such a tight race, it's anyone's games.

Remember it's not over till it's over

Both Ferraris being investigated for technical infringement!

This is gas stuff, trying to close the door while bombing down the straight.

• Advertisement

Agree with Alex Brundle there, only a 5 second penalty for the #51 Ferrari is very lenient.

Lift & Coast or splash & dash. Race to the flag

31 seconds behind, 5 Seconds quicker 7 laps left

Drama unfolding

Would be great if the Toyota could catch him but looks like the Ferrari has it, long as he doesn’t make a mistake.

Well done to the #50 car but Toyota can feel hard done by, their #8 car lost 45s I think after being punted off the track by the #51 Ferrari. They were the lead Toyota at the time I think. Could’ve been a more exciting finish only for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Just in home a while ago from an epic (and soggy!) Le Mans. Definitely a bucket list item! Holy jesus, those cars are really something else. Was absolutely surreal walking along the general admission steps in the middle of the night as the cars screamed past at close to full throttle. The rain was really, well, Irish, I avoided the worst of it as I stayed on a tour bus that was left for my group overnight!

The sound of the Cadillac V8 is just vicious, the Mustang GT3 as well, you can totally tell them apart. Had a grand stand seat directly across from pitlane and with binoculars could see some of the pit action for Ferrari and the other teams up at that end of the pitlane.

Have a very hazy view of the race overall really as it is very hard to understand it properly when you are actually there, even with a TV screen across from the grandstand and with Radio Le Mans on almost all the time, for example I wasn't even aware that Alpine had both of their cars go out early on. Got down to Indianapolis and also to Arnage as well. Will be downloading the broadcast to watch over the next couple of days. Will post video when I get myself organised!

Was great to see our own Charlie Eastwood and Ryan Cullen hammering around the track as well, there is extra skin in the game as a spectator when you are hoping for the best for Irish drivers!

It is very physically demanding to go to and spectate at a race lasting that long, I have a serious hip problem so found it even tougher. I have a walking stick and it would have been impossible without it. But I had to go as I honestly don't know when I'll be able to go again if ever as I will be starting to focus on a complex and heavy duty surgery.

If you've never been and you are bored of F1 races (have been to a few) and you like endurance stuff, then you have to go - you get a lot more bang for your buck, the races last longer and there are no casual fans there - all complete petrol heads, plenty of beer flowing but no drunken carry on at all, it is all about going racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Oh yeah one other thing - even if you can't get to the race at all but you are in the north of France, try to make a detour to visit the circuit and go to the museum beside the main entrance. It is incredible.

Great write up Tom thanks for sharing. I'm glad you enjoyed your time at Le Mans 2024.

Did you go for the race only or did you see Hyperpole and other events?

I wish you good health and the best of luck with your surgery, it will all be ok.

Next year Aston Martin are racing in Hypercar! Be sure to go if you can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Yes, I visited the museum while on holiday in Brittany; it must have been 25 years ago now. Even then, it was well worth a trip from our campsite. I'd love to get back (and to see the race).

Advertisement