Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career change from civil service (admin/HEO) to secondary teaching

• 04-03-2024 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi there.

I've hated working in the civil service for a long time now, and am seriously looking at transitioning into teaching second-level economics (and maybe other subjects) this year. Do you know if both these careers can link to each other for salary/pension purposes? i.e. Can you carry the same salary from civil service to teaching, and can your pension continue uninterrupted also.

Much obliged.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I've heard many different takes on this over the years. But I'm almost certain you'll go back to the bottom of the teaching scale. At the beginning the salary will be a percentage, depending on how many hours you get in the school. 15 hours would be 15/21.20 of the salary. Do you have other subjects other than Economics? There's at best 10 hours of Economics in a school, most schools don't have that subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

Most secondary schools dont have Economics?! I thought it was one of the key leaving cert subjects.

For other subjects I'm thinking geography or something like that. I have no qualifications for that at the moment but can look into it.

Going back to the bottom of the teaching pay scale would be a big negative...

Thanks for your time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm in the south and I don't know many schools that have it. Business and Accounting are very popular. Maybe in bigger schools they can have Economics. Where I am a few grind schools do it and students go there after school for it. Make sure you're qualified for JC Business as well as Economics. I would highly recommend a core subject if you're good at any of those.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I think just over 5,000 students out of a total of 60,000 sat Economics in the 2023 Leaving Certificate. Roughly 1 in 12 students took it so it's a minority subject. You'd probably need more mainstream subjects to secure a permanent teaching post. Shame more don't study it, it's an interesting subject. I did it myself for Leaving Cert and took a few modules of it in college as well.

I've met a good few civil servants that left secondary teaching for the civil service, including a HEO I worked closely with. I'm not sure many go the other way.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

Advertisement