Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 11 hangs on load screen forever

Options
  • 05-03-2024 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

Made this video... forgive my crappy editing/narration skills

I work in IT, and it's bugging me that I cannot figure out what's wrong.

This issue doesn't happen all the time, it's totally hit a miss.

Basically, if I reseat the memory the issue seems to resolve itself (99% of the time)

The memory is all new (2 stick are warranty replacements and the other 2 are new) all less than 2 months old

Computer is running latest bios and chipset drivers for all HW, windows is up to date. (x570e board 5950x CPU)

I've turned off windows insider program and am waiting on the next big update, to get to a normal version of windows 11

This issue also occurs the very odd time on shutdown (Hangs on shutdown forever)

Once windows loads there is no issue at all, it seems to run perfectly fine.

How do I see what its hanging on

Note also there are no errors in the Event viewer for anything, bar "Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing" which is related to some USB device I believe (based on my googling)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

You state 120 (128? 4x32GB) RAM, did you try to run with half of it or even single stick / in the different slots? You are maxing out "supported" by MoBo. At this point i would be checking official web for listed supported RAM manufacturers/specs/configs

What happens if you let it "roll" with ROG screen - does it eventually pass the POST or give you error/beeps/LEDs, other?

Other things to check:

"fast startup" to be disabled in BIOS as well in Win - instead shutting down your PC it writes all info from RAM to drive, then restores from drive to RAM on startup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

You state 120 (128? 4x32GB) RAM, did you try to run with half of it or even single stick / in the different slots? You are maxing out "supported" by MoBo. At this point i would be checking official web for listed supported RAM manufacturers/specs/configs

I have tried with just 32GB Dimm in and the issue still occurs

What happens if you let it "roll" with ROG screen - does it eventually pass the POST or give you error/beeps/LEDs, other?

It will hang on that screen indefinitely for hours.

Other things to check:

"fast startup" to be disabled in BIOS as well in Win - instead shutting down your PC it writes all info from RAM to drive, then restores from drive to RAM on startup

Tried this also, no joy

I am beginning to suspect this might have something to do with windows backup. I backup to another disk (C: Image and files) once a week. I wonder is windows taking a delta of the system state at each startup and shutdown. I've new disks in the backup to. I'll let you know how it goes.

@smuggler.ie

Since I replaced the disks this issue hasn't occurred once!

Weird one....

My guess is that windows is taking a system snapshot or delta at startup and shutdown. The reason the reseating the RAM is working is because maybe windows detects a hardware change from the MoBo (Still has battery plugged in) and doesn't do the snap/delta.

Seems good for now. Very strange behaviour

replaced disks is it = fresh install ?

"disks" plural - what configuration of drives you have?

windows backup is it = actual "Windows backup" or "Backup and restore (Win7)" ?

replaced disks is it = fresh install ?

No, Windows Lives on an NVMe, I replaced the 2.5/3.5 inch spindle disks with 2 * 2.5 SSD disk. The backup goes to R: (a partition for backups on that disk)

"disks" plural - what configuration of drives you have?

2 NVMe 1TB disk (one for of one for ganes)

2 SSD 2TB disk (Storage and backups)

No raid configured

windows backup is it = actual "Windows backup" or "Backup and restore (Win7)" ?

Backup and restore (Win7)

• Advertisement

Wonder if system image file present on PC cause confusion during boot...

Why "Backup and restore (Win7)"? I think there is better products for this.

Myself running OS on 1TB NVMe and considering to migrate to 128GB (or 250). Found it pure waste , especially as all my data reside on separate drives. Just haven't got to it yet

Using it since win7, it's what I know and it works, Window 11 backup just backs up files, doesn't do system image I don't think, that's kinda useless to me "if" that is the case.

I wouldn't bother migrating, you're not gonna get much better than 3000 MB/s. there's a dependency on MoBo lanes too, if you don't have a high end Board there is a chance it's sharing lanes with some other component on the board. PCIe 5.0 will be great when it comes Main Stream we should get speeds above 10GB/s (depending on what your read)

They'll need active cooling by then I'd say and as a result of that will more than likely be "off board" or at least have an "off board" option available.

As for backup - look into veeam, might suite you, its free for one backup job as far i know. I did some testing - seem ok.

As for my system, 😊 , i have roots deep in old stuff and still cant get out from Win8. I know it well, and despite hated back then , got use to it. For work i am forced to use Win10 and Win11 and i hate both - will have to "convert" at some stage.

My point is not the speed, all this chasing after 0.01ms, i have enough and system is balanced - the C:\ size. I vent for 1TB NVMe, it was on sale (as MoBo is old had to go over PCIe adapter (PCIev2.0)) but will be dropping to 128 or 250 as no intention to store data alongside with OS.

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

Advertisement