Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newly topsoiled and seeded paddock

• 06-03-2024 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, looking for advice on dealing with possible soil compaction, apologies if wrong forum thread. We had to dig a lot of fill out when building our house in County Galway. It was quite a stoney/gravelly type fill and instead of removing it off site we stripped the topsoil off a 1/2 acre paddock beside the house, spread out the fill over the stripped area and then put the topsoil back over this. I then reseeded the grass last July. The paddock has not being draining well at all since this and it is impossible to let even sheep graze on it. The soil is like soup on the surface. Could it be compacted by the 15 tonne excavator used to spread the fill and topsoil? Or would this poor drainage be normal in a newly reseeded grassland and just needs time to settle and eatablish? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,833 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You may just give it time to settle itself. All those little drainage channels in soil are from soil aggregating together with soil life (bacteria) at it's core. Then worms come into the mix and provide further drainage. Leave it and let nature work it from now. You may need the summer to work it's magic on it (dry out and settle). Really just time now. Could lime it in the autumn if when it does settle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 alder9

Thanks for this. Interesting you should mention worms. I don’t see many when I dig and I never see birds looking for them in my paddock, like they do in adjacent fields. Would buying worms to add to the soil perhaps help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Doubtful if they would make a difference. What are required for drainage are earthworms, they tunnel down through the soil helping with aeration. Most, if not all of the worms you can buy are composting worms and live in the top part of the soil to help with the breakdown of dead matter.

"Both of these worms are often confused with one another because of their similar appearance. Unlike compost worms, the worm that you find in the dirt is not ideal for your compost bin. Earthworms consume organic matter and are beneficial to soil as they eat decaying organic matter, which produces rich fertilizer in the form of castings, while also improving the moisture and drainage qualities of the soil. Compost worms on the other hand, are simply scavengers that feast on decaying plant material."

Good point. I did find Lugworms for sale from an Irish site. I believe these a true “earthworms” and not the composting variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Lugworms or known as Sand worms, used as fishing bait

• Advertisement

Perhaps not the right worm type for clay soil so? Where would you find regular earthworms for sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

They'd come for free in well rotted farmyard manure, which would be the best top dressing to give it, when the weather dries out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭9935452

To be fair as well, its rained nearly constant since last july..

We always found reseeded ground would be very brittle with bad weather . It would take a while for the root system to get going properly and solid up a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Who2

To be honest I’d say you could fill the field with all the worms in Ireland and it still wouldn’t cure it. Any ground that has been dug and back filled will stay wet for a very long time. I’ve a field here I filled a hollow in with clay from a job I was doing in the yard and levelled topsoil over and it’s still like soup three years later. I intend to pull shallow drains drop in 4” pipe and fill to the top with stone, hopefully that will cure mine anyway.

I was out in a field where a neighbour had done the same when he was building and I asked him was there a spring in one spot and he said no that he had used the spoil of his site to fill it when he was building and it never dried and his house is up 20 years at least.

Yes, this is what I was hoping was the main reason it hasn’t solid upped a bit more. When the weather allows it to dry up a bit I plan to test pH and see if it needs lime. I’ll aim to spread yard manure then as has been recommended here, and see what shape it’ll by end of this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Reseeding with mixed species sward might help. Some of those plants have really deep roots. When they die off, they open up airways into the soil.

Yes, this is my worst case fear. But I dug a few holes and the soil/fill about 6 inch down is loose and draining ok. It just seems the water is stuck in the top 3 or 4 inches of soil. Also I seeded a lawn on top of the same fill, and it did well.. grew thick and drains reasonably ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭White Clover

Farmyard manure/Dung is your friend here. Put a bit of structure and life to the top 6 inches.

Thanks for this advice. Maybe a stupid question but how would you go about spreading this farmyard manure over a 1 acre paddock? Cover the entire area completely or fork a bit here and there over the entire area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭White Clover

Wait until it dries and spread an even covering over the whole area. After that concentrate on the poorest areas.

A dung spreader would be the best machine for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Odelay

BIG TRACTOR OR HOVERCRAFT #AnswerAsAPercent 1452 (youtube.com)

Skip to 10 minutes (I think some of it may not apply to your acre), does it look that type of ground?

This is what it currently looks like having “dried” a bit over last 3 days with less rain. I wouldn’t be surprised if it did look like your video example when the summer comes.

Advertisement