Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir fibre broadband

Options
  • 07-03-2024 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi so after waiting years fibre broadband has arrived in my area.we decided to go with eir 1000mbps deal got it connected today and when I run a Speedtest we’re the router is I’m getting roughly 550mbps but where I need it where the tv is which is across the hall not far I’m only getting 170mbps.don’t get me wrong it’s a massive improvement on what we had but when your paying for 1000mbps it’s a bit of a let down.I do have a mesh setup but doesn’t really make a difference.any suggestions to get it up to at least the 500mbps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

No expert but isn’t the 1000mbs the speed from the fibre router to outside. If you are running a speed test by connecting to the router using WiFi then that’s likely the bottleneck.

i have 1000mbs also I get 900mbs when connected with Ethernet directly to the router

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Run the speed test when connected by cat5e or newer standard cable to the router.

It's likely, no matter how good your WiFi kit is, you won't be able to get or sustain anything close to 1Gbps internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Blues14

I’m definitely no expert everything is through wifi because of where the router is no choice.I wanted to run the cable along skirting so it could be in the hall at least it would be in centre of house but he wouldn’t do said it would look awful I say he just didn’t want to do it.but anyway surely i should be getting better then 170mbps

I tried my old tp link router but didn’t seem to work at all.is it worth upgrading the router or is the eir router good enough if I got that cat 5e cable.like I said I’m useless with this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Max speed of 2.4G WiFi is about 500mbs (best case) 5Ghz wifi is 1000mbs but this is the first hop from your computer to the router…. Simple analogy is the 1000mbs is the motorway but you need to use the local road (wifi) to get there….

• Advertisement

are those eir router decent or is it worth upgrading to a better one?

I was thinking if I got a long Ethernet cable cat 6 and run it to bring router into living room were i need do you reckon it would make a difference or will I lose the speed because of the long cable.

Advertisement