Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeated shower pump failure

Options
  • 08-03-2024 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi All

I've had a shower pump fail 4 times the past 2 years. It's been replaced under warranty each time

however I'm now wondering is there something wrong with my system. However before that I had a pump

last 6 years and then 5 years on the same system so that seems to rule out the system as problem but

maybe not?

Engineer who replaced said that the quality of the pumps is much worse than formerly due to Chinese

outsourcing.

Any plumbers out there seen this and can advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

What kind of shower pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'd be genuinely surprised if a decent brand pump gives this much trouble however the engineer would have checked the installation and if installation was at fault they wouldn't have replaced it under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jimbobmalones

Thanks for comments - Its a main brand pump beginning with S. I'm surprised myself but

there you go. I don't think it's the instalation as previous pumps lasted 6 and 5 years respectively.

At least it's covered under warranty

Was it the same issue with all 3 or 4 pumps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭John.G

Maybe Cylinder HW temperature greater than 65C??.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭delboythedub

If that pump is a S*******er forget it. I stopped buying these for our apartments and I will only use Stuart Turner pumps as you can get these repaired in ireland and spare parts are available here as well. If you have S*******er you will not get parts for it here which amazes me as i thought you were entitled to Right To Repair.

Just to be clear. Salamander pumps can indeed be repaired in Ireland and parts of available here. MT Agencies 018643363 are the Salamander agent. They have their own engineers to repair their pumps and they stock all parts for the pumps they sell here in Ireland.

Problems arise when buying a Salamander pump from Screwfix, Amazon etc. Screwfix import most of their pumps and showers directly from the UK. This means that the 5 years parts of & labour warranty issued by MT Agencies isn't valid on these showers. Screwfix also import models of showers and pump not intended for the Irish market. Again MT Agencies only stocks parts for models of shower and pumps that they sell in Ireland.

The higher end salamander pumps come with a 5 years parts and labour warranty

Hi All

thanks for comments - am getting it repaired under warranty. Water has mixing valve to bring under 65 degrees.

Hopefully next one will last longer

Has the mixing valve only been installed now?, if so, I'm surprised that any of the pumps would be under warranty as they clearly state, I think, that the HW cannot exceed 65C.

Mixing valve has been installed since house was built over 10 years ago.

• Advertisement

What kind of failure(s) are you getting, is the pump just stopping (motor "burn out") or are the pump seals leaking or whatever?

Can you post a photo of where the pump is located in relation to the HW cylinder and also the hot water take off from the HW cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

Excusing my ignorance please but I thought that the 65C limit applied to the water coming from the cylinder and not to the water temp as adjusted by the mixing valve?

Most showers and pumps have a maximum of 65 degrees entering the shower or pump. Not the mixing temperature. Exceeding 65 voids the warranty

Got it fixed under warranty - seems that particular model of pump is just poor quality. Thanks All

Was it a Stuart Turner or Salamander pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 thepressurehub

Wondering how the pump isn't intended for the Irish market, or how we differ from European countries?

Pumps intended for the Irish market are brought in by the Irish agent. The Irish agent offers the warranty (up to 5 years warranty). Pumps brought in from the UK by Screwfix etc bypass the Irish agent so no Irish warranty offered.

Salamander pumps brought in from outside Ireland have no warranty here. Stuart Turner pumps are more complicated. Stuart Turner will offer a warranty here BUT you must use the UK sized flexis that comes with the pump. You need to reduce to Irish size after the flexis. Using Irish flexis is an automatic voided warranty.

I don't get involved in pumps at all now. The market is too complicated. Also there are dedicated pump repair companies like ST Pumps and Domestic Pumps. It's far simpler getting in a company that only works on pumps

• Registered Users Posts: 5 thepressurehub

ok, so the pump is perfect, it's just where you buy it is where your warranty lies with the purchaser.

You can't buy from abroad and head to your local dealer for warranty issues if you didn't buy it there. Seems normal. You can't buy a pc in Curries and go into Harvey Norman with the item. You' still have statutory rights for warranty with Screwfix or the U.K, it probably is different, and more of a pain in the ass.

The flexis, i'd imagine should be used with the item provided. The pump itself is fine for the Irish market.

Im selling pumps 10 years, just not these negative head type hot/cold shower pumps. Was just wondering, cheers.

Sure it's fine to use. It's if something goes wrong the problem arrises. Pump or shower fails after 12 months. Homeowner has to engage a tradesman to remove the faulty produce. Homeowner has to return it to Screwfix. Screwfix send it off to be repaired. Homeowner collects it a few weeks later & has to engage tradesman to install the repaired product. If it had an Irish warranty then Stuart Turner, Aqualisa etc send out their own engineer, to homeowner, to repair / replace the product. Only last month this very thing happened. I was paid just shy of €200 to remove an Aqualisa Aquastream & reinstall it two weeks later. Homeowner had no shower for two weeks. Had he bought it from an Irish trade counter it would have come with a Three years parts & labour warranty. Some showers are not supposed to be sold in Ireland at all. When they fail, parts have to be shipped from the UK

Hi All

My pump was replaced by Irish distributor under warranty - can't complain about service - only issue is the week we are left without pump. I won't mention the brand given how good their warranty service is. If I was buying new again I would do some in depth research and buy the best available in terms of reliability. this seems to be only an issue with newer pumps.

As I said the first pump I ever bought which was aqualisa i think lasted 6 years and my plumber has an older model stuart turner that he has for almost 20 years with no problems. QC in China isn't up to much i some cases.

• Advertisement
Advertisement