Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK fittings on Irish pipes

• 10-03-2024 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1 meilin90

Hiya,

Please help! Can I use a 28mm compression fitting with a 28mm olive on Irish 1" copper pipe please? Or a 28mm fitting and nut with an Irish 1" olive? Failing that, would a 28mm fitting with the Irish 1" olive and nut work as the threads are 1" BSP?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

1. No - the 28mm olive is too large for the Irish 1” pipe and won’t work correctly.
    2. Would be much better, and will work albeit the joint may not be just as durable as it could be.
    3. I don’t understand what you are suggesting here? 1” BSP threads are different to the threads on compression regardless of whether you are dealing in metric or Irish.

What is it you are trying to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Seventy Plus

It is ironic that in the south of Ireland we use Imperial

and in the North and Britain they use Metric.

Going to be a hassle when they go Metric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

We use ‘Irish’ .

Imperial pipe sizes were used in the UK pre 1970 and were a different affair again.

The current UK metric sizing is starting to creep in here though too.

• I'm surprised that the EU doesn't standardise plumbing fixtures. It seems very strange that a market the size of Ireland has a unique approach to something as simple as water piping.

Advertisement