Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage 2024

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭morphy87

I’m going spreading fertilizer the weekend on ground that was reseeded last year and will be baled tomorrow, what should this be like quality wise the end of August?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭DBK1

Depending on growth between now and then you’ll probably only have around 5 or 6 bales an acre on it by end of august but it should be top quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,513 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You will have about eight weeks from.the weekend to the September 1st. A lot will depend on weather when you are going to cut it. Three bags of 18-6-12 to the acre will give you the option of cutting it from the 20th August on. It may be light but it will be decent stuff

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Sami23

Well lads n ladies do ye think there will be a weather window next week to cut another bit of silage or what's your thoughts ?

Some of the forecaster are predicting higher temps and less rain I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Dam all on my bit of second cut yet. Walked it yesterday. Will be a few more weeks before I will cut. The ground was fare hard when I was walking it, was very surprised. I suppose the wind is drying all before it. Forecast until Monday anyways from Met eireann is broken. Hopefully the temperatures pick up. Very cold in the mornings and evenings. It's really fecking up the growth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,472 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

many of the larger over stocked dairy outfits could really struggle later for fodder. Where as they normally try to buy feeding later in the year for a pittance off lads who have a surplus of bales, hopefully they will be caught with their pants down

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I hate to see anyone caught out. I have often had a surplus and sold off in the month of March but always got a fair price. If not I'd leave it there. I don't think I will have a surplus next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Jack98

I’m sure most were well able to do a fodder budget by now, we had about 150 bales left in the yard here when we eventually got cows out full time this year. Bought 250 bales off contractor during the first cuts at the end of May all in the yard now along with what we made ourselves that will be a great insurance in the back end and next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Driving up to look at cattle yesterday there were patches of grass in the boreen centre fierce green, then yellowish the rest of the way. Twas the shade of hawthorn trees keeping the wind off

• Registered Users Posts: 20,472 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

there are plenty around here who try to buy very cheap from smaller farmers late in the year. over stocked and nearly taking it as a given that why make their own bales when they can just buy for a fraction of the cost late in the year, and even get them to deliver the bales too !! It back fired last year, and hopefully will do the same this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭locha

Any idea what the going rate is for second cut ground? Neighbour approached me to see if I’d be interested. It’s 15 acres and has been slurried after the first cut. Could really do with it this year but have never rented this way before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭visatorro

The journal had an article of auctioneers auctioning meadows. Every field Is different. Maybe say you'll take it and pay a tenner a bale and you pay your contractor

• Registered Users Posts: 18,513 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I took first cut the last week in May. It got slurry and about 60 units of N. There is a nice cover on it now. It needs heat now to push ot along.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 21,364 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Would €1K get it? What's having it worth to you is the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

done our main 1st cut 1/2 June. It got 2000 gallons of slurry 2 weeks ago and 2.5 bags of cut sward yesterday. Greening up but needs growthy weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,364 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Regrowth has been quite slow, so winter supplies might be tight enough around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Dunedin

allowing €14 to mow rake bale. €3.50 for plastic and €1.50 to draw in, etc. that works out €29 a bale which would be a low price. Maybe €15 a bale would be a fair price. .

• Registered Users Posts: 40 KingPanko

All in what would be a fair price to buy / sell bales out of the field at the moment?

i.e. Contractor will mow, bale and wrap, fertiliser already spread and customer will come to field with loader, trailer and draw them away from the field

Advertisement