Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT, MOT

• 13-03-2024 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9 ApePiaggio

Does anyone know….if I purchase a classic car from overseas but plan to not drive it on public roads, do I still need VRT, MOT etc??? Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres no late fees for VRT of classic cars and you don’t need to tax and insure it so you should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Afaik, you don't need to register it if it is *never* going to be used on public roads.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The short answer is 'yes'. Just look at the amount of people posting up about buying cars with UK reg's that have been in the country for years, and now want to regularise them.

Revenue don't care if/how/whether you ever use a car - it's importation here triggers taxes; VRT and, depending on where it's coming from, VAT, Customs Duty etc.

You are required to VRT it within 30 days of it's importation to the State: https://www.revenue.ie/en/vrt/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-and-registration.aspx

And, if you're buying something particularly exotic or valuable (think: 1960's Ferrari or something), you need to watch the value of it for tax purposes.

The only exemptions from VRT are available on this page: https://www.revenue.ie/en/vrt/reliefs-and-exemptions/index.aspx

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭easygoing39

No you don't if it's not going on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

curious as I am to get the definitive answer on this I asked Those Who Know: Revenue.

Revenue have quickly replied as follows:

Under SI 318 of 1992:

(1) (a) A person not being an authorised person who manufactures or brings into the State a vehicle which is not exempt from registration under section 135 of the Act shall—

(i) make an appointment for a pre-registration examination with the competent person concerned not later than 7 days after the manufacture or arrival in the State of the vehicle, and

(ii) register the vehicle to the satisfaction of the Commissioners not later than 30 days after its manufacture or arrival in the State.

Vehicles exempt from registration under Section 135 are vehicles brought into the contry temporarily.

So, now you know: there is no exemption from VRT except for those brought in temporarily by an authorised (by Revenue) person (e.g. a motor trader, importer/distributor etc).

Whether or if you ever use it on the road doesn't come into it, it's the act of importation that triggers VRT etc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

• VRT you do pay.

Motor tax you do not have to worry about but I suggest declaring it off the road as soon as you can on the off chance you decide to drive on roads you will not be hit with the arrears.

I think some here are confusing the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭User1998

Realistically tho nothing will ever happen to you if you don’t VRT a car that will never be driven on the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I personnally know of 5 cars in the country that have been here over 10 years and have'nt had VRT paid on them.In fact they will never have the VRT paid on them paid on them.If the car ain't on the road why the hell would you be stupid enough to pay??

Advertisement