Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCV and airflow

Options
  • 14-03-2024 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have a demand control ventilation system installed after building an extension (not a heat recovery system). I have a good relationship with my builder and he has performed well throughout. However he has been struggling to resolve a number of snags despite a few attempts and his theory is the issues are down to the DCV and the effects on airflow.

We have vents in the windows and have left the vents open in the bathrooms where the DCV is. The two bathrooms share the same waste pipe running down the side of the house. Waste from one toilet is washing up in the bottom of the bowl downstream. My builder has fixed everything he can think of and is puzzled by what it could be, and has began questioning if there’s not enough airflow from the vents and a vacuum is sucking waste back up the toilet bowl. Is this possible?

Likewise I have no DCV in my converted attic space. I find it hard to notice a draft in the eaves. But on occasion when winds are high, it seems like wind is blowing into the eaves and the doors to the storage in the eaves begins to rattle. Lots of investigations have been done, sealing up of pipes connecting to roof vents redone etc.. Nothing has worked. The builder’s theory is again the vacuum caused by the DCV even though the DCV is not on that floor. Is that possible or likely?

Anybody with experience installing and troubleshooting in modern extensions with DCVs I’d love to hear from you. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Are these toilets on floors above each other flowing into same stack? Or both on same level flowing into same stack.

Waste from one toilet showing up in other toilet?

Soil stack vented at top I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

In my experience, DCV has nothing to do with your toilet issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Agreed.

Couldnt be, there just isnt enough air being drawn in to the vents to create suction of that level.

It surely would be simple to test anyway, just turn off the Fans in the attic spaces and see what happens, id wager my house its not the issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sounds like a waste problem any pictures of the soil stack ?

Advertisement