Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to prove a UK imported car qualifies for RGR (returned goods relief/customs duty 0%)?

Options
  • 14-03-2024 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there,

I've searched import threads but could not find an answer. Hopefully one of you may be able to help.

I'm a private Irish resident. I have sourced an October 2022 Hyundai Kona 64kWh EV in the UK that I want to import.

I thought it was manufactured/assembled in the Czech Republic but am finding it hard to prove (or even find out!). Speaking with my customs declaration guy & he says a CoC (certificate of conformity will not suffice. (According to revenue.ie website a CoC or an Oasis Vehicle report is what's required as proof.)

I have the VIN which looks like it may have been manufactured in S Korea but do any of you know what "proof" is acceptable to revenue for customs duty purposes & where would I get such proof? I am purchasing from a UK garage - it's not a Hyundai dealership so they can't/won't help.

If it was manufactured in S Korea then I will pay the 10% customs duty, but I do not want to pay the duty only to later find out it was manufactured/assembled in the Czech Republic & therefore qualifies for the RGR.

I'm banging my head on a wall. No proper clarity on revenue.ie. I called in person to our Galway VRT office & they didn't know.

My current position is that I've paid a £500 deposit to the UK garage. They want payment or will put it back on the market (unsure of where that leaves me deposit wise).

So, I would like to know how I can find out whether it was manufactured/assembled in the EU? And if it was, how do I prove it?

TIA,

Deirdre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭User1998

I read in one of the Revenue documents that the VIN number was accepted as proof

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Hyundai UK or a 3rd party should be able to assist with getting a CoC.

Google found me https://www.eurococ.eu/en/certificate-of-conformity-hyundai/ - Hyundai UK would probably charge for one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

My Ioniq 38 I bought from the North had the CoC in the booklet thing in the glove box, might be worth asking the garage is it there. But if your customs guy is saying it won't be enough, what is he looking for?

There are a few up North that would save a lot of headaches, what kind of spec/money is this car?

Advertisement