Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2024 - Friday, June 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

Yes she faltered on the security segment but held well on Migratition issue. She didn't get much airtime.

I see that the Issue of 'Ursula von der Leyen' Presidency has been raised again in these debates.

And will FF/FG support her is a question been asked! Billy Kelleher won't answer the question about his party, but said he would not. Thought FF where members of the 'Renew' Group?

I wonder are our politicions aware of the Lead candidates for that re:- Eur(o)vision Debate 2024 (New Thread on it).

Just wondering if anyone is considering voting along party lines given that we only have 14 MEPs in the End.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That was disturbing but not unexpected. As pointed out above she is close to the worker's party in Cork and they will want to see solidarity with Mother Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

So two russian lackeys in the debate,, hardly a fair representation unless whoever is selecting people for the show is getting roubles also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

A fairly mainstream view in irish politics, I'm not seeing the scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,719 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The same tankies that spent November 2021 through to February 2022 that the Russian troops massing on the Ukranian border were no threat to anyone.

Theresa Reidy: Electing one-term MEPs makes Ireland weaker in Europe

Ireland tends to have a high turnover of MEPs, with people serving for just one or two terms, and for many it is a stepping stone to election to the Dáil, but influence in Europe is built up over time. ….

Ireland also elects a large number of independents. Independents are sometimes powerful in the Dáil when they hold the balance of power but this does not happen in the EU. The European Parliament works differently.

Is this article encouraging votes for incumbents?

Seems to be, but incumbants in general and not any specific individuals. Valid points...

Tweets on this account for other two as well.

Why pickout Blighe when Susan Doyle is on the same odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I posted this over in CA but my thoughts on last night

Watched the debate last night

Few things are apparent.

It doesn't matter who Sinn Fein send out to bat, they just attack the government on anything and everything. Gavan was no different. Nothing of substance. Avoid

Lorna Bogue's brain doesn't engage with her mouth. Hasn't a clue what she is talking about.

Grace O'Sullivan came across quite well. She's be better off staying in Ireland as better than Ryan, O'Gorman and Martim IMO.

Niamh Hourigan seems like a decent skin. Wouldn't vote for her, but wasn't the worst.

Mullins was uninspiring. Avoid

McNamara was McNamara, he'll be elected, but he'll stay around for the Dail next time round and get re-elected no problem

Billy Kelleher is an experienced policitician. Was always going to come across as so. Decent performance.

Then we have Wallace. A gas man. Someone you see at the end of the bar on a Friday night after a days bricklaying. In fairness, some of what he says makes sense. But then he also talks some bollox

Going on the above. I give Fianna Fail first preferance. McNamara, second, Greens third, Hourigan fourth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I might be wrong but I thought McNamara previously stated he will serve the full term as an MEP & will not be standing as a candidate in the general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

FG: 18% (-1)
    FF: 18% (+2)
    SF: 17% (-5)
    GP: 7% (+1)
    SD: 5%
    LAB: 4% (+1)
    PBP-S: 3% (+1)
    INDs & Others: 28% (+3)

+/- vs. Bealtaine/May

@Ireland_Thinks/@TheJournal_ie
    Bealtaine/May 2024

Earlier poll. I think SF outside Funchion and Lynn will struggle to get another seat, I was sure at least Mc Manus/Gildernew would get one in the midlands but that's very crowded and they are weak candidates in a time where SF are cold.

That's an interesting poll……..SF on the slide

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

tbf FF not exactly flying either but yeah could be a very tough euros for them.

There is a seroius lack of credibility of with A LOT of the Euro candidates. I'd say FF with Kelleher and Cowan, they are experienced politicians.

Looking at last nights debate i'd consider putting myself forward if that's what we have

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I was researching some of the Independent candidates in Ireland South. As expected they mostly appear to be either on the far-right or far-left. I was pleasantly surprised by one though, Christoper Doyle from Wexford. He's a retired engineer and I automatically assumed he was going to be another far-right candidate. Not so. The independent interviewed him last week. Here's what he had to say about Ukraine:

One of Christopher’s core aims is to do “whatever is necessary to fully reinstate Ukraine and protect the European Union”, and he fears the ongoing war has the potential to “threaten peace like no other time in history since WWII”.“The war in Ukraine has the capacity to expand and could very well lead to war on the European mainland in the lifetime of the next European Parliament,” he says.Should the conflict lead to the annexation of Ukraine, Christopher says the knock-on effect across Europe will be incalculable.“There’s four million Ukrainians outside of the country at the moment, which leaves 34 million in it, if Ukraine falls the 34 million people living there are not going to be too interested in staying under a Russian regime, and you have to ask yourself, ‘where are those people thinking of going?’“We have about 100,000 Ukrainian people here at the moment, if you scale that up and do the math it becomes big numbers, that's not possible, it’s not feasible, it’s on a scale we cannot comprehend. And that’s just one consequence of things going badly in Ukraine. If it goes badly in Ukraine it’s very bad for Europe on many, many levels. I’d be hugely concerned about that.”

He's not in denial about climate change either:

In addition to the war in Ukraine, Christopher has grave concerns about climate change and a series of crises “the likes of which we’ve never seen before”.Although he would like to see further promotion of clean energy production and the eradication of plastic packaging in Europe, he accepts that everyone in the EU is behind the curve on this issue.“We are gone past mitigating against the effects of climate change, we’re now in a mode where we’re going to have find ways to adapt,” he says. “Look at Our Lady’s Island lake; all my life it was only drained once a year, this year it’s been drained three times already. It has rained here continuously since the first week in July to the first weeks of February, I live on a farm and I’ve never seen the land as wet.“We’re all now in a position where we accept that sea levels are going to rise a metre in the next 20-40 years, but we now need to think that might end up being three or four metres.”

source

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's an argument for shutting down the video recording and live transmission. If you're going to broadcast, it should be accessible to everybody. Council minutes are VERY different to a live transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Thats a load of reductive nonsense. By that metric all minutes should have to come with a braille version too for the blind?

There is no obligation to cater to every case in every circumstance. Written record of minutes from each meeting is enough to facilitate the deaf and hearing impaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is it enough? Did you decide that? Did you consider the obligations on public bodies in Part 3 of the Disability Act 2005 and in the Equal Status Acts in coming to your decision?

Why do you think Councils put meetings online in the first place?

And yes, local authorities DO provide Braille versions of documents when asked;

https://www.clarecoco.ie/your-council/social-inclusion-and-accessibility/access-to-info-and-services/#examples

For most people with sight loss, an electronic version in an accessible format works best. They will use screen reading software for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Not sure if it's enough of an explanation, unless there's been a lowering of the barrier.

Something has changed up in these EU elections, never remember anything like the deluge of junk mail I am getting in the post from nutty "independents" all trying to ensconse themselves in an MEP seat, though most of them seem to detest the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I’m from Newbridge, so vote in MNW. Regarding Gildenew, I know absolutely nothing about her. In fairness she has not been in any debating platforms I’ve seen/heard, but I certainly won’t be voting for her. In fairness to Her she’s not alone , here in Newbridge, I don’t think there is one poster up in Walsh’s honour either. Neither for Casey, though I seen a few mounted in Clane.
    Aside from Gildernew, this poll is interesting. 5% point drop is a hell of a drop. I’d say MLMcD must be worried.

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭JayBee66

I will only be voting for those who will cancel the decision to recognise the imaginary state of "Palestine".

Why recognise this illegal province (which was created by the Roman Empire and sustained by other illegal empires; Byzantine, Arab, Ottoman and British) so long after the "Palestinian" Authority was created and so soon after the terrorists of Hamas attacked Israel?

The Blue Shirts reverting to their fascist past? The party of de Valera reminding us that the Long Fella mourned the death of Hitler. They all make comfortable bedfellows with Yasser Arafat's cousin, Amin al-Husseini, the mufti of Jerusalem who walked amongst Hitler's muslim SS units, giving the fascist salute that members of Hamas still do to this day and the Blue Shirts before them.

The establishment parties have destroyed our republic. Time for a second republic with new parties to serve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,532 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You know that neither Councillors nor MEPs have anything to do with this, right?

No party has come out against recognition, Mattie McGrath did - for about ten minutes, then went back when he realised his voters were in favour.

Okay, but what do you really think?

Also, being an MEP has nothing to do with a state recognising another state or not...

I

I don't think the barrier has been lowered, but I reckon social media has made it possible for people to feel like they have an audience to speak to.

Look at the debates on rte/etc. None of the cranks are getting onto them. In the days before social media, that would have been that, no publicity apart from being read out at the end of a broadcast. Now you can be broadcasting to a relatively small number of people but still feel like it's a bigger audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Good loser

As I stated Walsh was the first - to interrupt Ming. She stopped when he objected. Thereafter she was the least to interrupt and stopped when the chair said so. Ming, I would say, could not be stopped and spoke, I would guess, for at least 50% of the time. Gildernew a bit at sea with the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Best of luck with finding someone to vote for in this election. Thankfully the majority of the population disagree with your stance.

• Advertisement

I think the Pandemic has a lot to answer for. A lot of people had far too much time on their hands. Some people spent it baking sour dough bread and learning to play a musical instrument. Others spent it going down rabbit holes on the internet. A lot of people became radicalised one way or another.

This is the first nationwide election since the Pandemic so it's not surprising that there a lot of "unconventional" candidates running.

Advertisement