Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you still like stuff from your childhood?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I still like robbing apples from my neighbour's orchard. They would give me some if I asked but I'd prefer to jump the wall and rob them.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not tv anyway, we didn't have one till I was about 11 and then it was black and white and my dad used watch Sgt Bilko and Dixon and cowboy films to an obsessive level - it seemed like that to me anyway. Still not bothered. Not a film/cartoon fan either.

Things that did stay with me though. Reading - my mother used say I would read the back of the cornflakes box if there was nothing else (books not allowed at the table). It wasn't entirely approved of as it wasn't 'doing something'. I still get through at least a couple of books a week, novels, easy reading.

Messing about with a hammer and nails and a hacksaw, making stuff mostly from plywood. Still do it though the equipment has got a bit more sophisticated and the projects a bit bigger.

Sewing, still do that too. Into embroidery and slow stitching at the moment. Started making doll clothes when I was 7 or 8, making my own clothes on the treadle machine around 12.

Crafty/diy stuff generally, starting with kits and building sets and moving on to household and other stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭briany

A lot of things which were made for kids back in the day actually had a lot of adult overtones to them. That's understandable, considering that they were almost exclusively made by adults who were in part amusing themselves. Things like Animaniacs, you'd only cop about 50 percent of the cultural references when you were 9, which made them fun to rewatch at, say, 25.

When I think back to shows like The Den, they were getting away with saying things at 3 in the afternoon that I don't think you'd get away with saying on TV at any time of day or night, now. Stuff like 'fat-shaming' Derek Davis by calling him 'hippo-head', or Dustin calling Irish a 'foreign language'. Almost anything went. I think that Zag was reported to have accidentally blurted out, "Oh for fúck sake!" when when one phone-in child was taking too long on an answer.

Some old computer games really hold up, as well. Things like Tetris were infamous for being played more by the parents than the kids when they first came out, so there is obviously some cross-generational appeal going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I think one thing from my childhood that I got a really big kick out of as an adult - was in building a treehouse for my own kids. I channeled a lot of things from my childhood into how I went about that project.

I really injected the spirit of things like "Fatty and the Three investigators" into it. Those children had a "hideout" clubhouse thing which was inside a huge mobile home trailer which was concealed by stacks of garbage in a junk yard. And they could access it using secret passages and entrances embedded through the junk.

This spirit of getting away from the world and the adult and having their complete secret really captured my childhood brain and I loved injecting that spirit into the treehouse that I built my kids. It was a real labor of love and nostalgia that project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

What about completely spacing out in the office imagining to foil a bank robbery.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

What a lot of people here, including me, have mentioned is building stuff. As kids we got to do it all the time with lego, Plasticine and other kits. The same goes for drawing and painting. You're still making something. And there's a lot of satisfaction that comes from building/making something. However some stuff like building a chair is considered more adult than making lego. painting a picture is more adult than painting a figuring of a dwarf or elf. Hell, painting a miniature of a napoleon era soldier for table top battles is more adult than painting a fantasy miniature and you're basically doing the same thing.

If I had space (and time and money) I might even build a train set.

I collect watches and I'm thinking of building my own. You can buy the movement and case etc desperately Seperately and assemble. It's probably very adult (and nerdy) but it's still just building something.

edited for a spell check error :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Your train set comment reminded me of something I always wanted to do but never got around to. And given the sheer number of things I currently do in my life I probably never will.

But as a kid I saw the movie Bettlejuice. And in the start of that movie the main couple have married and moved to a dream house in a small town. And the husband in the attic started to build a complete scale down model of that town.

Always wanted to do that since that moment as a kid.

That's the intro scene before you realize the camera has been over the model town all the time. 30+ years later and it still stays with me. As does the sexual awakening Winona Ryder instilled in me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I've just made a fish finger sambo - lovely!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I still watch The Simpsons up to season 12ish, Futurama, Family Guy still game on the XBOX, recently watched a few youtube vids of old Commodore 64 games.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

You are correct, I was talking about the OTTD -

Crazy that it's still being updated but I guess model train people tend to be a bit obsessive, so why not digital model train people too eh?

What other strategy games do you play? I wouldn't mind trying a new one of getting back into an oldie.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Declan05

John Morrison was the puppeteer behind Dustin the Turkey but being behind a puppet meant he was anonymous to the general public and could more easily disparage people or groups. Admittedly it was a 'comedy' routine but I think he crossed a few lines that he wouldn't have crossed if his face and identity were generally known, a bit like some people here or on Reddit - yes, I'm aware of the irony. 

As you say "they were getting away with saying things at 3 in the afternoon that I don't think you'd get away with saying on TV at any time of day or night, now" - and the latter is a good thing imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭briany

That's generally how it is with comedy characters. Their opinions and speech would be more outrageous than the real person portraying them. You certainly wouldn't get away with it now, but if Davis was OK with those barbs at the time, I don't think anyone need retroactively cancel Dustin or whatever. Just of its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Declan05

True but being a puppet gives an extra level of anonymity and distance that being just an ordinary comedy character doesn't afford. The fact that Davis may have been ok with it is well and good but Davis could have been seen as representative of overweight people in general and barbs about his weight seen as being against all overweight people. As you say, it was of its time and nobody needs to retroactively cancel Dustin but it should be looked at more critically than it was before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Just stuck the first one on there after maybe a decade? and was surprised to see it really does hold up well, just as an actual movie even if you can't get into the childish wonder element. Especially compared to some of the absolute bombs that get the big release nowadays.

I'd forgotten just how insanely stacked the cast was even at that point, I mean christ Alan Rickman, Robbie Coltrane, Richard Harris, Maggie Smith and Julie Walters then add Michael Gambon, Brendan Gleeson, Gary Oldman, David Thewlis, Emma Thompson, Imelda Staunton, Helena Bonham Carter, Ralph Fiennes, Jason Isaac etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement