Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle to work query re cargo bike threshold.

Options
  • 17-03-2024 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭

Just checking how legit this is.

Bike shop suggested to me that I can claim I purchased a cargo bike from the shop (i.e. invoice for a cargo bike for 3k),but in reality use the 3,000 euro to buy 2 bikes and accessories plus have credit left over after.

Any risk that someone may ask to verify that u indeed purchased a cargo bike?

I'm self employed so my company would be paying the 3k.

Post edited by Weepsie on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Don't think so and likely more of a risk for the shop being audited when they're selling so many cargo bikes from inventory they don't have so not sure how they'd explain that one. Store credit for any remaining balance might be awkward as what are you likely to need if you purchase two bikes and accessories?

I know of a couple of people that bought expensive electric bikes and got them classified as cargo bikes for the maximum bike to work allowance but in fairness they they had racks installed on the bike for that purpose and got attachments to allow pulling a trailer so hard to know what classifies as a cargo bike from a tax perspective.

Will be interesting to see what others more knowledgeable contribute. Despite cycling for over 30 years I've never partook of the bike to work scheme. When it came out first I looked into it but we were limited to only purchasing from the CycleSuperStore via work who were super expensive back then and with a limited range of stock. Despite the tax advantages it was cheaper for me to purchase an equivalent bike abroad from nett pay which is very wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement