Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you buy a demo model EV from a dealer?

• 19-03-2024 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on buying a demo model EV from a dealer.

Have seen or or two that interest me, 6months to a year old maybe around 5k kms on the clock

Would there be any additional risks around the treatment of the battery during its time as a demo model to consider? Is there anyway to really find out if there is any significant degradation before buying

Or is it a non issue once its in good nick generally? Assuming its all still covered by manufacturer warranty for a few more years?

What are peoples thought on it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. A year old with 6k on the clock. Still like new and I have two years of warranty plus seven of the eight years on the battery. A no-brainer imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭zg3409

Typically the battery protects itself from over and under charging. It will stop the car moving before damage to the battery can occur.

Main costs of a new EV is depreciation and ensure you do not overpay for an older car. Check for scratches and things missing such as charging cables.

Is there a new model coming soon that may devalue old model and are they selling demo cars as newer facelift demo models coming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I wouldn't have any major concerns, however it's worth becoming familiar with the battery warranty just in case there are issues

Pretty much all EVs have some way for the garage to check the battery health, although it is generally an estimate based on usage. It's worth asking for this to be checked at least and see the report

There's also independent companies that can test the battery, however it's unlikely that the garage will get this done before a sale and you'll be hard pressed to get them to accept that result over the manufacturers approved one

It's possible the car may have been fast charged a lot more than others, however in general studies have shown this only has a slight effect on degradation

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yep. Done it in 2022.

got the remainder of the 4 year warranty plus another 1 year when that ends as it’s a dealer demo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I can certainly say I will never be buying a brand new EV from a dealer again and thats for sure!! Used all the way now

I bought a July 22 EV in Feb 24 but it was from a family member and was exactly 50% of the new price which was what he was offered as trade in as he didnt want the car anymore, too much tech, too complicated for a 70 year old man used to driving vans and Toyota Hilux type things all his life. I couldnt turn down the offer really and I do like the car.

A demo from a dealer, I suppose I'd be looking for somewhere around 20/25% off if it had crossed a registration period, particularly a year.

A bit less if in same year and a decent chunk of that year still left

But yeah, I'd have no problem buying a demo if price was right, but insulate yourself as best you can from depreciation, tis savage!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I got pretty much 26% off the list price for a car with tiny mileage and in perfect condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭rob w

Wow, 26% is a big markdown from a dealer!

Do you mind me asking what model, dealer, mileage?

Im looking at the E-Niro K4, which seems to have a list price of around €48k, but you never know really until you go in to but it once they add on delivery etc

A quick search shows Joe Duffy North Dublin have a couple of 232 reg, mileage ranging from 18000km down to 1500km with prices at 41.5k and 44k respectively - nowhere near a 26% mark down from list price though - prob 15% at most. Maybe thats just that dealer though!

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/kia/e-niro/fpa/202309212205397?journey=Search

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/kia/e-niro/fpa/3553880?journey=Search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭rob w

Do you think they would have been fast charged more often than normal? I would have thought most car dealers just have a standard 'home type' 7kw charger and are just topping it up after short test drives. Didnt think they would be out and about using public high power chargers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's a mixed bag from what I've seen

For example the Nissan garage near me has a 50kW DC charger which seems to be used a lot by staff and customers. They actually let me use the charger for a few weeks after I got my first EV before I got the home charger installed

The VW garage beside it was a mix of AC and DC charging. They seem to use the DC charger for topping up cars before delivery or customer demos

Some other dealerships seem to have no charging at all, I've seen what looks like demo cars hanging out at local DC chargers every so often

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

E-Niro K4 was 48K when ID4s and Tesla Model Ys were 50K+

Now look at the market. I wouldn't be touching Kia until they sort their pricing out.

• Advertisement

No problem. Polestar 2 Performance. Directly from Polestar with just over 6k on the clock.

Advertisement