Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Acolyte - Disney+ - (***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just copped it has a 4.5 / 10 rating on IMDB after 20,000 votes. Can't remember a major series with such a low score before.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You can't trust the ratings on any of these major shows anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Charlo30

Not great. Not terrible pretty much sums up the first 2 episodes. I've found the pacing to be very ponderous and the script writing and acting won't be winning any awards. So far I haven't found any of the lead characters very likeable.

Hoping for some improvement but not expecting any. It's a pity as the premise is an interesting one. A Star Wars series set outside the Skywalker era. But beyond the Jedi wearing white and gold robes I don't get a sense its set a 100 years before the main franchise.

I'll give the 3rd episode a watch and make a decision after that if I stick with it or not

I'll probably keep watching mostly because it is inoffensive.

Unlike something like Boba Fett, Obi Wan or Rings of Power where you just can't stop internally screaming at the absolute disaster of a job being done on historical characters.

So as long as it doesn't started fekin about with stuff like making one of the twins Shmi Skywalkers mother or showing that Padawan building the Millennium Falcon ill throw it on as I have Disney+ to watch the new season of The Bear anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

Not as bad as some people are making it out to be, but you have the usual opposition that's disingenuously raving about it and comparing it to Andor, and… well, no. Not even close. I know we're only two episodes in, but you can already see the writing is nowehere near the standard of Andor, and even though the episodes were somewhat watchable, the writing doesn't stand up to scrutiny, with the usual plethora of Disney/Lucasfilm inconsistencies and lack of understanding of George Lucas' Star Wars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

should it be that easy to…?

Thing about Andor is it wasn't just the best Star Wars in ages it was very high quality for any TV show. We won't get anything close to it in Star Wars for another good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Snore fest episode. That's me gone. Don't even care what happens.

100%. You know things are bad when the only reason you keep watching is to see a Wookiee Jedi. Which is a bit of a novelty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

that was kind of a dark episode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So that was meant to explain Mae and Osha's past and why Mae believes all the jedi should kill themselves? Seemed more like Jedi were just being Jedi to feel guilty enough to deserve to take their own lives. Like why did they guy who was a padawan simply take Mae's poison?

Also how quickly did all the witches die and the fire spread? That seemed really suspicious

Does anyone else hear 'Occupational Safety and Health Administration' every time they say the name Osha?

We only saw Osha's story in that episode. Guaranteed to be more to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a parallel Mae episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the memes are great, looks like an awful show, what with the space lesbians and what not, not your daddy's Star Wars ;-)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

There was no father? so midichlorians up to no good again?

And why do they make that Jedi knight such an idiot, that his Padawan comes up with better plans.

And Jedi coming to forcibly take kids?

And as someone already mentioned, space witches all die that easily?

and not to forget the other episode where the droids flying the ship were shut down so easily.

there's more, but i won't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Snoozed through episode 3, my god this is poor so far.

The kids having no father gives me a sinking suspicion that they will try to crowbar some Skywalker angle in somewhere

It would ruin this show if they crowbar in any connections.to the other shows.

It sounds more like the mother is so powerful she could manipulate the force into creating life. They could also be some form of clone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was thinking that about linking to Skywalker or maybe even trying to do "an all female version of the Skywalker story happened first". No father like Anakin and force sensitive twins like Luke and Leia.

Though they did imply the twins were a result of something dodgy and not an immaculate conception.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

A women heavy episode, lesbians, a lot of non whites…. The episode is going to trigger a lot of people

• Advertisement

That's assuming Shmi is telling the truth about no father. She could be just blaming the angels after a night of bush drinking like your wan in Palestine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont know about triggered, but it seems bad (in a funny way) your show shouldnt be the butt of jokes but yet it is

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I did like the Dathomir witch angle though, that is a very cool part of the star wars lore.

but the more i think of the no father bit, the more I think of Darth Plagueis. This would be around the time he existed.

I'll stick with it - problems and all - just to see who the sith master is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just reading this thread has helped me to not start watching.

Thanks guys.

One thing I've noticed and maybe it's just me but the Jedi in this period seem more powerful then in then in the Skywalker era.

It's interesting to see a different take on the religious aspect to the force.

That would make sense. These guys had way more training than the mostly self trained Skywalker era.

Makes sense & explains why Yoda was more powerful then the other Jedi. He would have been a Jedi during this period and had the extra training

Lucas said as much in an interview while making the prequels. He changed the lightsaber fighting style to something more flamboyant (too much so with that shocking Yoda Vs Palpatine fight) to reflect that the original trilogy was an old man, a half robot and an untrained kid.

• Advertisement

how do the kids know what a jedi is?

that fire escalated quickly, spreading across bare rock

Post edited by expectationlost on

Advertisement