Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Acolyte - Disney+ - (***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

there is also a good documentary about the holiday special out there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well with hyperbolic scores that ludicrous I'm just gonna have to look at this aren't I.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The only thing as pointless as those online scores is people posting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DialecticAspirations

Agreed.

We should get rid of online restaurant scores also. I hate knowing in advance if the food is going to be good or absolutely terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yes we should because very rarely are the complaints about the actual quality of food and are usually about some petty gripe.

We live in a world where people absolutely love McDonald's and you are honestly gonna tell me you go by aggregate scores for restaurants.

Aggregate scores for restaurants lead to things like people queueing for hours for whatever TripAdvisor told them to see and ignoring all else around them in a city full of choice like London.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So we're quite low on TV shows to watch and decided F It, how bad could it be?

Answer: simple. Not bad at all. Just not good either; in some ways it was the worst crime of all - boring. At least Boba Fett was almost (almost) entertainingly bad, and made weird and sometimes hilariously terrible choices. This was just low effort "content" of the most inessential variety.

This was just like every other Jedi appearance - bland porridge with by-design emotionally stunted monks. I'm so sick to the back teeth how this interesting universe gets suffocated by these singularly uninteresting 1970s new age throwbacks; it's actually kinda ironic that despite living in an age where we understand externalising and embracing our emotions is healthy, here are "heroes" who actively shun positive emotion. God forbid this miserable lot crack a joke or shag someone and form a connection.

I'm supposed to give two shíts about a pack of characters this repressed by choice? It's laughable.

I can believe the money: think of all those aliens, background sets and polish. You simply don't see that amount of throwaway FX in anything else. That motley crew of prisoners would have ate a whole season's budget on another show.

You can see the money on screen … it's all in the detail and aesthetics … it's just as usual with this franchise, it was directed with all the style of a TV sitcom. I'm also sick of using those wipes and scene transitions from the original movies, while everything else was so flat.

The entire RT system is provably broken, time and again, but people keep trotting it out as some Source of Truth for a concept so obviously subjective and nebulous as art-entertainment.

Post edited by pixelburp on

the critic score is somewhat indicative of the quality of a movie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

three episodes in and really enjoying it.

I had thought it was going to be much further back than just 100 years (I have a recollection of reading it was confirmed to take place before the time of Yoda). And I’m pretty sure it was said to be a murder mystery but there isn’t much of that.

I saw a few headlines on Google that it was making STAR WARS “queer” and changing the nature of the Force but I don’t see anything like that in this. Between the movies, old EU and Clone Wars we seen all female covens, unnatural conception and the view that the Jedi are oppressive and imperfect.

I like that the flashback episode was told from Ohsa’s point of view only and therefore didn’t reveal what Indra, or her padawan, did that night.

It is pretty clear from episode 2 that the Wookiee knows but I’m hoping he only found out much later. He looks cool.

Post edited by Spon Farmer on

Nope, critic RT scores are no less arbitrary IMO: the methodology is both reductive and flawed, and it's patently ludicrous you can somehow, magically, boil down an expansive critic's review into something that yields … I dunno, 9.1 … as if a scoreless stream of consciousness can be reduced to statistical truth. And these days, more often than note I'll see RT deployed as some J'Accuse for precisely the kind of tedious agenda paranoia this thread briefly deviated into via the usual malcontents.

I find sites like letterboxd at least try to rationalise out-of-ten scoring into something fuzzier & puts the spread of scores visible for all; you can clearly see if a specific film trends positive, or is all over the map. But critically, it doesn't put it front & centre like it's the most impotant aspect. EG, here's The Fall Guy. I also like how it separates rating and liking a movie: so you can think a movie is a 4 out of 5 stars - but not actually like the thing. A lot of stuff I've reviewed there I'd mark as good-to-great, but I didn't actually like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

You beat me to it Valeyard - yea this is terrible - horrendous writing -

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Didn't your one Charmaine DeGrate write these? or some of these?, How do you go from writing House of The Dragon to this?

The mention of the Holiday Special no longer being the worst-rated Star Wars thanks to this show did get me thinking: how many of those people histrionically clicking their 1-out-of-10s on RT have actually seen the Holiday Special?

Cos bland and mediocre ain't the same as … this…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I read this on another website, and I agree with all of it….

The story so far is quite bad. The acting is bad. Despite taking place a 100 years ago they decide once again to introduced things that change the previous movies.

Majority of acting and dialogue is cringe. Yes, the chanting, yes the children, I know they are child actors but the scene especially with locking in the room and starting a fire was bad.

Anakin was the chosen one and the only person to ever have been born via immaculate conception. Yet no, actually two kids did it before. It’s like big deal Jesus, you were born immaculately and resurrected. All been done before, you’re not special. I’m not one of those people who screams woke but it does seem like they made that the case just so the witches could have a kid without a man and the kids could have two moms.

The impenetrable meditating Jedi is so dumb. So we are supposed to believe he can go without eating or drinking for a decade while in a floating meditation. Don’t really like the fact he just sat there the first assassination attempt but then killer himself the second, but I can kind of explain it.

They let a Jedi master die to a teenage girl with a couple of throwing daggers.

All the witches dead in the middle nowhere near the fire. (I get they likely didn’t die because of the fire) The fire was all random patches of fire. Everyone should know Mae is alive because no Jedi killed her and the fire was farcical. Yes it’s a Stone Mountain. Not a wooden fort.

Jedi are a bunch of dork kidnappers apparently.

The show looks quite cheap. There’s lots of other small things too. Imagine space vespas but all episode every episode.

I will continue to watch and see what happens but the criticism is valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

Had to laugh last week when I found that Discovery had recently finished it's 5th and final season. 5th! How on Earth did that utter shite end up getting 5 seasons? That insufferably bad 2nd season was enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'll give you one better - Blue Bloods got 14 seasons! 14 years that utter crap has been on air! I give up around season 3 or 4.

But why continue to watch? too much free time on your hands?! I watched the first 2 episodes and then no more, couldn't cope with how bad it was, even out of curiousity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

withholding so much info

it was the very last line of the quote.

why do you bother read this thread?

comes up on my boards.ie homepage and I've a general interest in star wars. I dont understand why people dislike a show and criticize it but then continue to spend hours watching it.

• Advertisement

fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

While this week's episode was better I was disappointed at the missed opportunity of a dangerous trek through the forest. Was sure all those extra ones would be the redshirts, especially when we saw the giant bug. Was just waiting for all the bugs to attack and kill at least 1. Maybe will lose a few to the bad guy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,476 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Don't get the low rating on this - yeah its not great but not as bad as Ahsoka, Obi-Wan or Boba shows which all have some weirdly incredible high ratings. Then again I'm only a casual SW fan and apart from the original trilogy think most of it is garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They don't bother with any subtlety anymore. It's as on the nose as it can possibly get. I watched 2 and a half episodes before packing it in and the levels of cringe at times is really remarkable. Even by Disney's modern standards there are scenes here where it's impossible not to either blush or just be so confused as to how bad some of the acting and dialogue is. It's a mess and more than that it's mindbendingly boring.

Disney are in really serious trouble (they are already in trouble as everyone knows) if they keep serving this kind of output.

it's bad

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its too late for Disney, its easier to avoid then try to pick out the odd good show, they have trained their former audience well

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I hadn't realised GB News and the ilk picked up some random passing joke about R2D2 being gay (lesbian) and made a whole outrage "thing" about; just shows how much of this outrage is what I presume either cynical outrage-as-industry or idiocy (years of "the droids are gay" jokes apparently missed?)

Had to laugh at how gratifying it kinda is, watching Red Letter Media as they parallel into middle-age with me, sharing my own increasingly fatigued view of the culture wars and the screaming going on. I do think the aforementioned ranting about "woke" is the more dangerous side of the coin ... but ye gods watching people fall for corporate sponsored inclusion also induces a fair amount of eye-twitching.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Episode 5 was much, much better. Quite possibly some of the best lightsaber combat in years, and I mean like Revenge of the Sith level.

• Advertisement

it was good and some of the choices were unexpected. I wonder how this episode will be spun into a woke narrative/ an attempt to turn the frogs gay.

Advertisement