Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TDs running away from Varadkar whilst blaming the voters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There's a difference between criticism and a lot of the abusive stuff towards politicians.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: @foxhunter2024 do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nachouser

Crazy thread. His point has been made and validated by the yokes on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭BagofWeed

Politics has drifted so far from the people that it's only natural people are going to be angry at politicians. The country is not run for all it's people and too many of our politicians are just showponies including that dreadful excuse of a Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Genuine question. In what way has it drifted from the people? What policies are they putting forward that are far from the people? Or is it policies they are not putting forward but should be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes.

Not a FFG supporter at all and frequently go on about them, but..... child GP visit cards for under 8s and education improvenents like free school books for primary school now, and junior cycle from next September, along with cuts to 3rd level and post graduate registration fees have been very helpful for families.

Also the extra payments through Covid and since the energy crisis can hardly be ignored.

You did ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Aw FF/FG snowflake supporters cannot take even the mildest of criticism.

Mod: @Peter Flynt do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Knocking on doors the week a christmas visa bill comes in isnt going to help anyone.

The problem that are contriving is that they are reframing criticism and anger from a public where health, crime and housing services have completely eroded as abuse.

When your grandad waits on a trolly for 76 hours and your angry about it the local TD should get it both barrells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭riddles

If you own your own home and are mortgage free then you have a different perspective to people who are living at home with their parents or people who can’t afford to rent etc because people in receipt of HAP have more rental means. You could also be paying mortgage on a semi D and find the council has bought the house next door and is now socially housing people who don’t really understand communal living.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭JVince

Your hatred spewing post is an example of what politicians have to put up with.

Maybe try even being a local councillor for a few months and see how you cope with a type of person who spews hate at you and your family for no reason other than they have a different point of view.

My guess is you could not last a week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So supporting FF or FG means you’re a snowflake now? Jaysus!

Who do I support so I’m not a snowflake?

The national party?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I find it more interesting that fine gael are running away from fine gael

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Is that new legislation or reform? That was the question.

Giving away multinational tax profits is easy.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭riddles

I wonder how many of the departing TD’s will end up in NGO’s.

Anger is understandable and excusable. Abuse goes too far.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Should the local TD and her family be threatened with death over that? Should the local TDs car be burnt out? Should she have **** thrown at her? A councillor on the radio this morning saying she got death threats.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No that's terrible, however this behaviour has festered and worsened over time and wasn't dealt with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Politics has drifted so far from the people 

We live in a democracy. Politics can only 'drift' so far before it gets reset at the next election.

Now, if you don't like the results of that election, then that's unfortunate but that's part of the T&C of living in a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,842 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The absolute stench of hypocrisy off this post beggars belief.

You're calling him a coward etc. etc. and then say people shouldn't abuse anyone?

Ah, so you wouldn't call him a coward, but you did call him a rat!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

People in all walks of life get threatened with violence and are the victims of violence. Ive been assaulted in my workplace before and threatened numerous times, and i wasn't compensated to anything like the level they are, nor did i have the garda access and protection that TD’s enjoy.

If TD’s are not happy with the society they have helped create and shape then maybe they should blame themselves.

We live in a more violent society, in a large part because of the policy's of this government who have made crime worse, gardai levels diminshing and punishment non existent and everyday you can see the results of that where more areas of cities are off limits and scrotes run rampant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

But what is that 'difference' that you talk of and just who gets to define it? Where is the line between robust and forthright criticism and abuse? That's all in the minds of the recipient and you can see the same patterns here evident on boards every day. Some posters who like to spin certain lines and hate it when others robustly disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

I think alot of modern tds were used to campaigning on relatively easy "progressive" topics like same sex marriage, immigration rights for asylum seekers etc, have a compliant media on the same page , have good pr management etc. It was basically just a continuation of their student politics, they didn't have to think too deeply about it. There are loads of those types elected and anyone not like that did not get selected or were ejected like verona Murphy who didn't dance to varadkers tune.

However now there is a crisis of confidence by many of these people as the public has woken up and are not buying the pr spin any longer. Suddenly these people have been found out and the varadker magic media dust no longer works. They are not able to deal with the difficult topics like immigration and rowing back on climate targets as the public will also not comply on this. Therefore they have decided, I'm out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Leo jumps ship now!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure about the college registration but the rest is definitely reform.

And don't be giving out about multinational tax money.. Better in the pockets of families that need it than not.

Now if they used more of that to sort our housing situation in a more permanent way.. And health..

Mod: thread title updated to bring it in line with forum standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,834 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fine Gael TDs running away from Varadkar whilst blaming the voters

Seems Varadkar is giving chase or is running too. Not a great look for FG at the minute tbh

• Advertisement

Big difference having words with a td or local representative or writing a strongly worded email, to being abusive and threatening.

The former will get a listening ear and maybe some positive action, the latter will get you the door and rightly so.

If we ignore this threatening bullying behaviour by some of the public we run the risk of losing the gentler people in politics and we could end up with politicians that nobody can get to anymore except through a strict security cordon.

There are tds cancelling their public clinics because of abuse and threats from certain members of the public.

The problem here is those members of the public who think they are within ' their rights' to loudly abuse and threaten those in public office.

The same people who carry on in the same way to other public servants, shouting and roaring when they don't get what they want first because ' that is their right'.

It is not and never was their right especially if it involves foul threatening behaviour, in a civil society.

The guy that murdered Jo Cox felt it was his first 'right' to do so.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

Advertisement