Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 out of 3 young adults living at home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I can understand people being very cynical about supports for ayslum seekers if they are working themselves but have to live with their parents in their 30s or 40s.

Perhaps, and I certainly understand their ire. But blaming asylum seekers is stupid. It's the government that's at fault for our appalling housing fiasco. They just don't care. They're wedded to markets and if you can't make it in that market, well it's "tough, fuck you".

People need to wake up to this reality, fast. Constantly voting in parties that haven't given a tinker's cuss about housing the population in decades is pure folly.

Pointing at immigrants and asylum seekers isn't going to solve the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Social cohesion is breaking down in the country and it's a direct result of the extraordinarily weak leadership that we've seen from this government.

The people in charge want to appear to be these wonderful and benevolent humanitarians. How could we possibly refuse to grant residency from those people in the world who are looking for a better life? The problem is that they haven't thought ahead in financing the cost or building the required infrastructure. The costs of international protection are spiralling and now ordinary struggling taxpayers who are having to pay for it are furious. How could you blame them?

The housing problem won't be getting better anytime soon, certainly not for ordinary young people. There's no will in this government nor the more radical opposition left-wing parties to tackle this issue. Migration will continue to go up, demand for social housing will continue to go up, taxpayer costs will continue to go up. At some stage something will break and perhaps then we will see some change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

The same thinking that got us into this mess isn’t going to solve it.

The housing crisis isnt going to be solved until the government gets very tough with its budgets & organisations like county council’s get the finger out and start coming up with idea’s.

How many houses, apartments have been built or how many tradespeople were trained by the policy of Paying HAP & rent allowance to private landlords over the past 15-20 years? Where is the value for money? All pissed down the drain.

The technology is there, the housing designs are there already, the land is ready and available, they have the engineers, the reports etc to no what they need to build and where it’s needed. Building Housing shouldn’t be costing what it does at the moment.

They have hired people in jobs as HAP finders, that nearly everybody can do by themselves with a quick look on Daft.ie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The market is not the problem, it is interference in the market via the horrendous planning system that is the problem. A completely free market in construction would be building 2x or 3x as much housing as we do.

No market is free from interference and it very much becomes a problem when people are priced out of needs like a home. Doubly so when there's no real alternative like a functioning rental system.

• Advertisement

And the reason people are priced out is nothing to do with "the market" it is because of planning interference, which is almost entirely political.

I don't even support a completely free market, I'm not a weirdo libertarian, but those focusing on the government being "obsessed" with the free market as the reason for the housing problem are completely and utterly incorrect. The problem is the exact opposite.

When government do nothing to alleviate the problem, they're very much part of it.

I have very clearly expressed they are a huge part of the problem, though at least with the planning bill are making some attempts to correct it. Local government is a bigger issue. But political interference is 100% the problem, not relying on market forces. Market forces have their own issues, but are 100% not at fault for the current problems. The problem is fundamentally Nimbyism and that no councillor has ever lost votes by opposing development.

So, you agree. Government are part of the problem, and not asylum seekers or immigrants.

I have never once said otherwise.

They're wedded to markets and if you can't make it in that market, well it's "tough, fuck you".

This is what I'm arguing is completely wrong. It gets a problem completely backwards.

• Advertisement

I have the benefit of evidence - the free market wants to build significantly more housing than the governmental (national and local) interference is allowing. More housing means lower housing costs. Unless you think that objections to development will disappear if it is the government building public housing apartment blocks instead of private developments?

Unfortunately, nothing in the behaviour of any of the alternative parties at local level has suggested that they will be any more amenable to the type of planning reform that will actually allow more housing to be built where it is needed.

Both FF and FG appear very happy to see modest houses costing upwards of half a million Euro in this country and don't seem interested in trying to remedy that situation. They couldn't care less if people are priced out of that "market" at all and haven't made any efforts to tackle this shameful mess. "Markets" only care about how much it can get in return for its "product" and FFG seem to be quite comfortable with how things are going presently.

So, yes, they are wedded to the market in that respect and have no inclination at all to try and stabilise it to more sensible degrees.

They cost that much because we don't allow them to build enough. Pure market forces would see more housing built, supply and demand more equalised and prices fall.

The problem is planning, and local opposition. The majority of people who claim they have an issue with the housing crisis are full of **** and would complain the second a 6 story apartment block is proposed to be built next to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Of course they haven't. It's good politics. Why piss off the older and wealthier demographics you need to vote for you? People like their asset values high and fixing the housing crisis would require a herculean effort, the gratitude for which would go to someone else?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I think you're missing a significant point. It's getting to the stage that the older and wealthier demographics are being affected in the sense that they're fully aware of nieces, nephews and grand children and how they are struggling in this current age. Therein lies the real danger for the government parties, they'll have lost a significant proportion of the young vote and also leaking the older and wealthier demographic vote.

I know why they cost that much and I know that FFG aren't interested in tackling that. So, they're wedded to the housing market as it stands. They don't seem to be at all concerned that half a mil is the going rate for a three up two down and a whole generation has been priced out of ever owning a home.

And yet…

They remain a deeply hypocritical section of the population who won't countenance development in their own area because it is "out of scale" and will be full of "transient population". I have some limited sympathy for the government in this respect as people are demanding solutions to a problem that they don't want the actual solutions for. The limited steps the government are taking in the planning reform bill are being vociferously opposed by those who claim they would solve the housing problem 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭amacca

re: your last statement….one would think so but seriously what is the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

437 properties on sale in Co Tipp at the moment. And thats just whats on Daft.

4 bed gaffs going for 200k. Wish I could've availed of those prices when I was first buying!

https://www.daft.ie/property-for-sale/tipperary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Grand, I'll move to Clonmel and spend 7 hours a day commuting to my office in Dublin, thanks for the info.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

But they're not going to vote to have their own assets devalued which is what needs to happen, that's the thing. They'll just call the next generation lazy, entitled and obsessed with avocadoes.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

How do you pay for these gaffs? Has Tipp a booming, high-wage job market?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Roscrea is 80 minutes away. Thurles is 90 mins.

Used to take me that long to get to town when I first bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Most people are not NIMBY complainers but those who are have got far too much power. NIMBY people are mostly d*ckheads who need to be told to f*ck off and the local politicians that support stupid objections need to be named and shamed

Politicians and councillors depend on their votes though. It's not that simple.

Potentially, it is hard to gauge. For sure Nimbys tend to have more time and means on their side and dominate discussions. Perhaps there is a cohort happy for larger development, though I'd like to think councillors aren't completely oblivious to this and yet none seem to cater towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Asylum seekers who end up in Ireland by and large choose to be here. They usually have to pass through multiple safe countries to get here. Some come from another countries where they have already claimed asylum and are being housed. So they're more than likely doing their research and choosing here.

And then they rock up here in the middle of a housing crisis and expect to be accommodated. Those people deserve to be held accountable for their part in making a bad situation worse.

Migration is increasing demand on housing to an unsustainable level. While it's not the only factor, it needs to be acknowledged as playing a significant factor in the demand side.

And while there are plenty of issues on the supply side, ignoring a bid one on the demand side is the real stupidity here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The older/ wealthier demographic will vote in the interests of their family and that includes the younger generation. And once you lose the votes of the older/ wealthier demographic, parties are in trouble.

• Advertisement

We're going to have to agree to disagree there. I think there'll be plenty of pulling up the ladder. Always has been.

Advertisement