Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar resigns as Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

hildegarde naughtons hair is now waffling on prime time🥴

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thats not what we are saying at all.

All officials should be honest above all but thats often not the case in politics.

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible.” Frank Herbert

Im not really a fan of Haughey but he was an able and shrewd operator, and alot of his policies were well ahead of their time and shaped the country as we know it.

If its a choice between him and school boy Harris, its like comparing Einstein to a caveman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭amacca

Yeah such shite...they must all do intensive training on how to talk absolute ballcockery at a rate of knots in orther to further ones own career

This is the kind of nonsense we seem to reward as a species...dho has the greatest set of brass balls and loves displaying them at every opportunity

Go team!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

What will happen to Simon Coveney?

Will there be a cabinet reshuffle so to speak?

These are all young politicians. What will they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

You are missing the point that an FFG govt is still the most likley outcome after the general election.

There is no point in FF pushing for a GE now, unless they want to saddle up with SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭NSAman

The current leaders have created none of these, they inherited this from the EEC. They currently try to impinge on the export markets and create disincentives to control the wealth that people make, to create taxes for personal vanity projects.

Sorry but are you trying to tell me that current politicians have ANY leadership abilities (especially in Ireland) to create wealth? Please explain that one.

i create wealth. For countries, for staff and also for communities. Name one politician that actually creates wealth in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Coveney could be Tánaiste and Harris Taoiseach;

Simon and Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

Not missing the point.

I simply no longer think enough TDs will be returned for the current government to be re elected. FWIW I expected it would be re-elected up until maybe middle of last year. Now, as I said, I think it's going to be SF FF or SF FF led.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yes of course they should focus on fixing the planning system but it's not as if this issue arose yesterday. Planning has long been a problem but they sat on their hands for years.

It's also not good enough to say that it's because of opposition to policy. Government have forced through unpopular policy here on many occasions, and are in the midst of forcing through a deeply unpopular hate speech law. They didn't reform planning because they didn't want to. It's that simple.

And of course the government should be in the business of building and developing infrastructure - that absolutely includes houses . The government is the biggest builder in the state by far and has ample skill to throw at it. The issue though government has an industrial policy of creating job growth in MNCs where the native population do not have the skills and has therefore required huge inward migration to keep the show on the road. It does not have a housing policy to match this - this is a choice. The net effect of importing high skilled high paid labour is to price locals out of the market.

The main reason for the children's hospital overrunning it's budget was because it was tendered with an unfinished design. What party was in government and pushed the button when it wasn't ready?

• Advertisement

FFG + the Soc Dems or a group of indies will be enough.

FF's first choice is FG.

It would be a last resort for them to side with SF and the numbers for FFG combined make it a simple enough stretch to get the seats needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

You may be right, especially if MM is still leading after the General Election. I think another leader of FF may be more open than MM to a SF coalition. I also think high chance MM will stand down before the next General Election.

Yep, MM wont side with SF. A new leader may do so.

But SF are sliding in the polls and FG will jump a little, I expect.

Any mew FF leader will still be part of the curremt govt and find themselves on the recieving end of SFs attacks, thus pushing them closer to FG.

FF and SF is certainly a possible govt, but still less likley than FFG and I have the feeling MM may well stay around for 9 months, just to keep SF out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The problem is that the established parties are currently universally unpopular and I believe will return substantially fewer TDs than expected. The gains will go to the independents largely.

Such a fragmented Dail is quite likely to be be unable to elect a Taoiseach. So we may need new elections.

That's my hunch but I guess we will see if the discontent shown at the referendums starts to show through at elections soon enough.

I wouldn't put any great store in polls at the moment. They have been demonstrated to be way out just recently so their value and accuracy has to be called into question. It looks like the electorate is looking for blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

Does anyone seriously think that ministers actually run their departments??

The average tenure of a minister is measured in months, many of them are ex-teachers, or certainly have little experience managing large organisations. So they usually end up doing three things 1) PR for their department, 2) Fighting for their department's budget at cabinet, 3) Pushing their department's legislation through the Dáil.

The intractable problem is that the issues the country faces can only be solved in the long term, yet politicians have an outlook which only stretches as far as the next election. All of the attention is focused on them however.

Conversely, the civil service, the people who are permanently in government, the ones who are supposed to plan for the long term, get little or no scrutiny, by the media, the general public or the politicians themselves.

If more attention were placed on those who actually run the departments, it would be far better for the country. Certainly I'd vote for a political party which stopped trying to pretend it's running the show, and instead acted as true public representatives, and hold those who really are in charge to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

What does anyone think Leo might do when he leaves politics…..go back to his medical training….?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

You are trying to excuse corruption on a gigantic scale. The Moriarty tribunal found that Haughey took payments of the equivalent of up to €45 million in 2006, which would be even more in today’s money.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Cyclonius

A hung Dáil is a definite possibility.

One thing I do notice is that Independent Ireland seem to be adding to their numbers daily, both in terms of existing county councillors, as well as currently unelected candidates willing to run in the local elections. Given the unpopularity of the established political parties, I'd imagine a potted plant could give many FF/FG/SF/Lab/SD/etc county councillors a run for their money in the upcoming election, if run as an independent or on a new party banner such as Independent Ireland or the Farmers Alliance (though I haven't seen that much activity from the latter lately).

Any newly elected Independent Ireland county councillors might then be well placed to make a run for the Dáil in the not too distant future, assuming they'd be interested, and I'd imagine many would. I can see a scenario where Independent Ireland could do very well in terms of seats (at the expense of FF, FG and SF), and be a viable coalition partner, possibly with additional Independent technical group or groups, for one of the main parties, to at least have a functioning minority government.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

• Advertisement

The appeal of independents is that they're...independent.

Independent Ireland Party is oxymoronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

A lot of them aren't REALLY independent though and are castoffs/former members of other parties but generally still vote with them.

Lowry would be a classic example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭riddles

I do agree with everything you posted here. There is also a reality that a lot of 20-40 something year olds are disengaged from the political system in terms of voting. If you are in a demographic that’s not seen as impactful you are left behind in policy setting with the exception of a couple of referendums. It’s only recently the FG cohort have started to realise the breath of anger among voters out there with a few running for the hills Lead by Nero himself.

That is a fair point.

And I do think the current independents would choose the status quo over an new government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Nobody says politicians actually create wealth directly.

Their job is to create (or destroy) the systems that enable (or disable) wealth creation. Politicians are far more actively involved in wealth redistribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

The idea of the assorted Independent headbangers (who rightly belong in county councils, not a national parliament) submitting to the discipline required to govern the country is laughable.

In governance terms, Independents are a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,280 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I expect a reshuffle alright. I wonder will he keep O'Gorman in his portfolio.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Any reshuffle is likely only to be FG ministers.

Someone will get promoted to replace simon who replaces Leo. After that changes could be minimal.

Helen McEntee and Heather humphries swapping position perhaps. Or Helen McEntee to further education, someone else to Justice and someone promoted to the vacant position

• Registered Users Posts: 9,280 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think Simon will check with all the FG cabinet ministers that they are running in GE.Next. If they are planning to retire from politics, he needs to get them out of cabinet and replace with FG TDs who will stick with it. All their seats are in danger now. Much easier to get a cabinet minister re-elected.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

My assumption is based that all are but certainly some may not.

If they are not expect them to announce it over Easter and that they will not seek to be reappointed by the new Taoiseach.

I don't expect a major reshuffle where ministers are dropped without having said they are retiring.

Advertisement