Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Rosita

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Seadin

It seems Corks lack of stickmen managed to beat one of the best hurling teams of the 2000s twice in one season. That's not a bad achievement at all it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Thats not relevant to the point I made or I was responding to. Cork’s style of attack is not based around stick passing or stick men. It’s a game plan that suits their strengths. Runners and speed. Long balls moved on to on coming runners or run it out from the back.
    What you’re stating amounts to - I’m not sure if someone criticised my team but I’m going to defend them with a statement that has no relevance to the post. Standard post on here.

I'm just saying basically that I disagree with your statement that Cork have a lack of stickmen. They are very skilful players that are well able to play. It was kind of a bizarre comment by you really. They absolutely destroyed your own team with stick work alone and they aren't bad hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Limerick are one of the best teams of all time not the 2000's. The Tipperary team of the 2000s was one of the best teams of the 2000 's but not anywhere near one of the best of all time.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭newhouse87

…..

Very very admirable to be at the age where you can speak with authority about all time teams and still engage with the internet. I bet you're not one of those whinging about GAAGo being too complicated either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Both teams are evenly matched, BUT

Corks pace is astonishing and no county can compete!!

The crowd, quite simply this park will be 80% red and white!! The link between players and crowd, almost partisan like is worth a 10 pt lead!

So on paper a 50/50 game in reality can only deliver one winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭another36

No county can compete??. Lost to Waterford, Clare, last minute plenty to beat Limerick beat a Tipp team who were finished. Ordinary against Offaly, nearly let Dublin back into it.

Granted a fantastic semi final appearance but if Limerick weren't so wasteful in the last 10 mins (when ye didn't score) different result and different final.

Marginal..

It's a 50/50 game the 'Corkness' is ridiculous. I'll say you were right and offer apologies if you batter Clare but right now your talking up a game that can be either teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,836 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I'd be amazed if the posters who claim to have huge confidence in a convincing Cork win are from the county. Down here everyone knows we're in with a good chance but that's about it. Clare have beaten us in the last 3 championship meetings, including this year in what was seen as a must-win match for Cork, at home. Since then Clare have Tony Kelly and now Ryan Taylor back in the fold. How anyone could make either team as strong favorites is beyond me. I can't see either team winning by more than a goal.

Also the talk of the speed we have in our forward line is overblown. Barrett is fast as is Connolly. Not sure about Hayes, maybe he's faster than I'm giving him credit for and it's just his running style. The remaining starters Horgan, Harnedy, Dalton all have their great qualities but are not speedsters in my opinion. Most of the fast forwards (Jack O'Connor, Kingston, Lehane, O'Flynn) will be on the bench. Two of them will likely play some role, but to say that speed is the one thing that sets Corks forward line apart from any other county doesn't stack up for me.

Agree it's going to close. It's there for either team. No certainty for either side.

The Cork confidence is no surprise as they were incredible for a lot of the Semi final and doesn't take much to ignite confidence in Cork fans- but the we will definitely win narrative from a large percentage is nonsense...

Clare have a similar style of play but will they turn up in form? it's not looked a certainty this year they are very up and down and inconsistent. On Corks side can they replicate that Semi Final performance?

Questions on both sides so definitely no firm favourite here.

Hard to know exactly, two of their All Ireland wins were during COVID. It has to be said.

Post edited by Seadin on

Why does that matter? Were Cork hurlers rendered less wristy or traditional because of covid or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Yes! See link! 🤣

"In addition, COVID is causing inflammatory arthritis in some patients. Inflammatory arthritis and inflammatory joint disease are sometimes initially caused by viral infections. The effects can be felt in the knees, shoulders, wrists, ankles, and hips."

Maybe made in a lab financed by JP?! 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭High bike

• Registered Users Posts: 25,929 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Whatever about the team there was a lot of wrist action from the usual suspects around here in regards to Corks chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Cork beat Limerick twice this year and one of those games was one that actually counted as well. Clare did fail to deliver against Limerick in the last three Munster finals. I agree with you though that this game should be a close one.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

No one would disagree that Clare's form can't be trusted 💯 will they show up for two Half's? It's been a big issue for them this year. Consistency has been lacking but they are still in a final on merit.

On the same token few seem to be ignoring Cork has questions to answer too. Yes they beat Limerick twice that doesn't automatically make them the cert for Sunday or a superior team to Clare. A puck of a ball last year and Clare could have won the Munster final. This Clare team is sick of being the nearly team they will want this as much as Cork

Hoping for a good battle either way because it would be a shame to have a flat final after both teams fought so hard to get to the final. Not many would have predicted this pairing.

I don't think we will get flatness I think they will both bring energy to the game - who will withstand the pressure to bring it over the line?? only Sunday will tell...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

While Clare have certainly performed better than Cork in Munster over the last few years, croke park and all ireland series is another step up again. They just about got over the line v Kilkenny this year. I think Cork just have more potential to produce a bigger performance and the semi final win will have given them huge confidence after poor performances v offaly and Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Those matches were still hugely important matches. Without a doubt Clare have the pschological advantage over Cork. Getting over that Kilkenny hump would've been massive for them surely (even though they stumbled over the line). They won it and that's all they'll remember.

Agreed on Cork having a 'bigger' performnace in them, but the reality is, Clare are 3/3 over Cork in the last 3 years. 2/2 for Lohan vs Ryan.

It's an incredibly 50/50 match

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭endainoz

Hows the rush for tickets going for people this year? Seem to be very hard got at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I think the wins over Limerick trump any psychological edge. This Cork team will love Croker Park too far more than Clare. I would expect Cork to score a few goals on Sunday and have far more reliable firepower. Clare hit a lot of silly wides. Wont be much in it but Cork by 4 or 5 for me.

• Administrators Posts: 53,795 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

50/50 seems about right to me.

Cork were fantastic in the semi final, but the big unknown is whether that level of performance is their new standard, or whether they had the game of their lives while Limerick also had a bit of an off day. There is no doubting that Limerick missed some easy points that had little to do with Cork putting them under pressure or anything like that. Similarly, Cork were sending monster shots over the bar at key moments, everything clicked on the day.

Clare dug it out against Kilkenny but the first half they weren't exactly impressive for large chunks of the game. They'll need to find a performance in them, there's only so long you can dine out on the winning-while-not-playing-well thing.

I just can't get over the nagging feeling that both teams have it in them to bottle it and one will.

I can see this being an over by half time kind of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Couldn't see that

Think it will be very tight throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Just got 2 tickets and it was tough going. Flying over from England on Friday night. It's very much 50/50 with Cork having a higher ceiling . It's easy to see Clare play abit better in the final and Cork drop the standard a small bit. There's pressure building on them now with the huge hunger in the Cork Crowd. Now I think Cork manage that stuff very well traditionally but if they go behind by a few then the pressure comes on, sneaks up on you. Clare are obviously very open for goals at the back but they did well enough in Cork. All I can say as a Clareman is we are pretty sure they ll perform well for 70 mins but of Cork reach the standards of tbe semi we won't live with them

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

You are pretty sure they will perform well for 70.

This is a team for whom the narrative all year was they were dropping off terribly after 60. Anyone who is "sure" after one good game is delusional.

And I see you are from Clare again now 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jack747

• Advertisement

Only when pretending to have insider or underage knowledge. That or when he needs it to spout rubbish on all the county threads.

Advertisement