Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options
1136137138139140142»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Seadin

Which do you think of those teams will end their droughts first? I think Kilkenny will win an All Ireland before Cork do funny enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,168 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Actually never realised Tipp beat them by so much in 2019. Thought ye won by more too last year. It felt like more anyway. I'm losing my memory

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Kilkenny are due a clear out with retirements and hopefully they'll have faith in the younger players and bed them in early.

Biggest mistake in the semi was not trusting the young pacey players and bringing on the old stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,168 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sadly I do too. I think sunday sets us back few year at minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Cork will win one before Kilkenny for me. The old adage of having to lose one before you win one and all that, the hurt will drive them on. Look at the trajectory they are on, from being beaten in Walsh Park, to having to rely on Tipp scoring 1-01 in injury time to get our of Munster and then to produce three exillerating performances, Cork have plenty to be positive about.

KK on the other hand would appear to be sliding very much into the space where Tipp and Galway find themselves and if all three don't embrace the need for transition and a few years of relative hurt then it will take even longer. Of the three Kilkenny have the current best team, but still not good enough, and Tipp would appear to have the better conveyor belt coming. All three have very big management questions to address as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭MfMan

It may also take another change of management to get it right. The debate about the refereeing performance since seems to me to be shielding a certain amount of criticism of Pat Ryan, who was very poor on the sideline on Sunday. The debacle of the puckouts in the first half, where Clare eventually established a dominance they would never cede for the rest of the match, was never properly addressed. If Joyce was badly shook from a knock he took to the head, then he should have been replaced. Wasn't able to close down SOD in any event. Ryan just wasn't able to make the changes to get his underperforming players into the game better. Why not reintroduce Harnedy in extra time? A proven scoregetter and an experienced head to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I haven't read through this thread, but in general your comment that Cork should stop whinging is very harsh. From what I've seen in the media and from the many, many conversations I've had, it's remarkable how little whinging Cork are doing. The ref fecked up, it was far from his worst decision against Cork on the day, but we know there's no point in giving out, it won't change anything. We immediately congratulated Clare, didn't mention it in post match interviews and moved on to think of next year. Manys the counties and management that would not have done this, but Cork did and I'm proud of them for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Harnedy had a hamstring issue and by all accounts it was asking too much to even ask him play a few 2nd half minutes. He did, couldn't really move, but popped over 2 points nonetheless! Some man. Bit ET wasn't an option for him.

The mystery in Cork is why Power wasn't brought on as he is a ball winner too. Pat had a bad day with the subs alright, but if ROF scored that goal in the 86th minute there would beva different narrative today. Those are the margins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Brian Lohan was in his fifth year in charge and has made many mistakes on the sidelines, good job Clare weren't as short sighted. Blaming the manager is a cop out. In 12 months he has brought them from failing to get out of Munster to dethroning the 5 in a row AI Champions and beating them not once but twice and only losing an AI for the ages by a single point after ET and you think they should change manager, jesus wept!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭MfMan

My point stands though that he made no material changes on the sideline to affect the flow of the game when it was going away from them in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,064 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well he obviously done something because the game stopped "going away" from them.

Ide say ye are where ye are because of Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

That really highlights the issue of Horgan saying he injured his hammer in the first five minutes and he couldn’t sprint after it. An unbelievable revelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭letsseehere14

I think next year a lot will depend on what happens with certain people in certain teams.

Im not expecting much change in Limerick tbh. Whether thats a good or a bad thing I dont know yet. Should be good enough to make the semi finals.

Despite their dominance in Leinster I think Kilkenny are far enough away and theyll lose 2 or 3 experience lads this summer. Reid, Walsh, Fogarty, maybe Murphy, Richie Reid? Do you pull the plaster now knowing you'll still have enough to make it out of Leinster and get a years experience under a new teams belt? Cody and Mullen are not the players they can be, YET.

Galway too, looking at their age profile, new manager in, full back, centre back, midfield, centre forward, full forward plus 3 or 4 more all ageing out. Big changes needed there, where have those 5 minor teams gone.

One of them will be in a position to win the thing out through a semi final and final but not sure if they have enough. Wexford and Dublin just dont have the squad. Enough to cause a stir in Leinster but thats about it.

Clare next year hinges on who stays and who goes. Lohan basically refused to answer if he'll stay on for next year on the Sunday game. If he goes, O'Donnell also hinted at travelling, McInerney, Malone, Morey, Flanagan all getting on too. They have replacements but it depends on how many replacements will be needed in a short space of time.

Waterford, another new manager. Golden generation seeing the years slip by now. Hard to call too. I think theyll have the motivation but they have fallen short so often its not just a luck thing, its probably more they just dont have enough to go all the way. I see them on the Waterford forum now wistfully thinking of what might have been had the umpire called a 65 incorrectly for them. I think their showing this year was more to do with Cork the first day and Owens the 2nd than themselves.

Tipp. Theyre better than they have shown this year no doubt. The question with them is more about Cahill than their squad cos I actually think they have a blend of youth and experience there, just Cahill looked clueless this year. Lots of underage success atm going back a few years now, through u14 right up to u20. No clue what theyll do. Could be 5th, could make a provincial final, cant see them winning it but I would rule them out being in the conversation.

Cork. Talk about a roller-coaster year. Right from the start of the league they have mixed the sublime with the awful. Injury time against Limerick they were out and they turned it around to making the final only for their weaknesses to be shown up again. The two experienced guys up front in Horgan and Harnedy would be big losses if they move on. Despite the narrative Horgan contributes from play and is the best out there from frees with Reid. Harnedy shows every game as nearly the heart of their attack. Two massive shoes to fill.

Kilkenny

Galway

Wexford

Limerick

Cork

3rd depends entirely on what happens over the next few months with Clare. But I think Sunday was their peak.

All Munster AI final again.

Advertisement