Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Don't know if you mean the throw in. But I noticed it has become a feature of throw ins for Cork in the semi and final. They're pulling one handed and wild. They loosely hold the hurl at the top as if to pull two handed but let go of it in motion and let fly… I can't remember if it was the throw in or restarting the play at one point in the semi but O'Donoghue got absolutely crucified by a wild one handed pull in the semi. While there is no explicit rule banning the one-handed pull, players must ensure that their actions with the hurley are safe. It's not a safe pull, you don't have complete control of the hurley with an opponent in close proximity or the ball in your possession. You're basically just pulling into your opponent.

At the beginning of the second half of the all ireland final, O'Mahony 100% blasts Malone into the leg. Premediated in my book.

So many things not being reffed at this stage and let go. It's actually depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Yep correct one at throw in and one directly after. It's pre planned, they changed their hurleys after the throw ins and I believe did the same in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Pulling one handed like that is demonstrating that your intention is to swing in the general direction of the ball, maybe you'll get something on it, maybe you won't but really what you want is to get something on your man.

The last couple of sentences of your first paragraph should help explain why there were so many people in Kilkenny angry about the Michael Rice - Pádraic Maher incident

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Rosita

This is actually a good example of interpretation vs clear cut. Some believe Burke's tackle merited a sending off, others don't. The spectrum of rough/dangerous play will always cause opinion to differ, exaggerated by bias of course.

This is not comparable to clear and unambiguous mistakes such as a jersey pull and a '65 not given. These are not matters of interpretation. Even here the arguments have to resort to whataboutery instead of dealing with the substantive point. These were blatant mistakes that the ref will have looked back on and cringed.

Yes, Clare were the better team winning nearly all contested possession near the end. And no doubt there were mistakes elsewhere (leaving aside never-ending arguments on matters of interpretation such as cards), for example, a line ball incorrectly not given to Clare. But the two incidents that are mentioned (jersey pull and '65), if addressed correctly by the ref, would have almost certainly led directly to scores not relying on a series of alternative possibilities.

Anyone from Cork is entitled to express consequent irritation on these matters without being subjected to pathetic shouty vernacular pub slogans about "your batin" and devastating put-down observations that Clare won the game (in case we'd missed that).

Cork were second best outside of the first 25 minutes of the game but they did get a bit of a raw deal on two key direct scoreable situations. No amount of absurdity about replaying a match from two months ago actually nullifies genuine grievances.

For further context, (let's be "bitter" and "twisted" for a moment) imagine the absolute meltdown around here if Kilkenny had their bloated outdated sense of entitlement denied in the circumstances Cork have been asked to swallow? A county whose previous manager described a free against his team in the last minute of an All Ireland as no less than "criminal". The same manager, who late in another All Ireland final, was squaring up to the Galway manager on the sideline? Relatively speaking Cork and Pat Ryan have behaved with admirable restraint and dignity.

Post edited by Rosita on

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭raindodger

Well done to both camps for giving us a riviting game.Being from limerick and not having any skin in the game really enjoyed the spectical without all the tension, it would makeyou realise what a wonderful game we have,only pity its all over for so long

• Advertisement

Not the same situation. Wasn't a throw in. My recollection, well over ten years ago, was a ball going out toward a sideline and Maher pulled on it one handed (not an unusual pull in that kind of situation, plenty of players run and whip at a ball to keep a ball alive), while running toward it. Rice went to block it. Maher's hurl slid up Rice's hurley and went into his hand. The injury was horrific and very unlucky. I definitely don't think Maher tried to do him or injure his hand but there's very little control with a one hand pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Rosita

So, obviously if you are being consistent, you believe that Eoin Cody, in the semi final, when he swung one-handed at the ball for Kilkenny's goal, really wanted to "get something" on Adam Hogan.

Wouldn't necessarily have occurred to me but maybe there's something in it. Cody's instinct after scoring the goal was to immediately run to Hogan and, so to speak, get in his face. So you could indeed be right about the actual motive of his one-handed pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭17togo

Hasn't David McInerney jersey pull not been put to bed with regards a black card/penalty or not?! 😴

Doesn't the rule specifically state the player has to have possession of the ball, which clearly wasn't the case. And the ball was running into Quilligan with Hogan also covering.

Paul Murphy on the hurling pod gave a pretty good analysis of the Connor leen one at the end. It was on the side where the ref couldn't see it and it happened really quick. Probably a bit of cuteness by Leen. As others have pointed out Cork were notorious for that cuteness when they were successful. And any team that has won anything in the past has that in them.

The 65 not given is the biggest in justice to cork in the match, and that's on the umpires, not the ref, they should've spotted it.

Clare were not awarded a single free on the 2nd half, that's pretty rare I'd imagine for no free to be given to a team in a whole half of hurling, played at that pace. If we go back through it I'd imagine there'd be at least one that could've been given in a scoring position.

Clare weren't given 2 blatant frees in the dying seconds of the munster final last year that would've drawn the game. Every team is hard done by, every team has played on the edge and bent the rules to gain advantage. Cork as much as anyone. As the famous quote goes "if you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough" 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Based on previous discussions on that incident with Tipp posters I know you'll never admit what that pull was so this will be my last post on it, but the ball was not going out and Rice was not blocking anything, he had his hurl holding arm outstretched to control the ball on the ground, he was totally prone to the frontal approach Maher took.

Unlike in a thrown in where the hurl might wrap around your opponent avoiding any major contact with them, there was no chance whatsoever Mahers hurl would not connect with Rice in some way. It was the very definition of "not a safe pull" and "basically just pulling into your opponent" that you described.

While Rice was very unlucky with the injury that resulted, it is implausible that an intercounty player having played hurling all their life would be unaware of the danger of that pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

A cowards pull!

But big Will is not the type to cry about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭King Power Fox

Cork were no angels. Look at O Mahonys pull 2 seconds into the second half. Then 5 seconds later another wild stroke on the sideline - 2 Clare players in a heap. And not 1 Clare free in the entire second half!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Talk to stephen lucey after Eddie brennan jabbed him in face with hurley ,needing 6 stitches. Many players from all counties capable of dangerous play. Kilkenny players much so included.

What’s the point of opening wounds from over a decade ago… getting a bit much now

Are u sure about that,Clare got no free in the 2nd half?Surely a team can't go 39 minutes hurling without getting a free???

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭King Power Fox

I don't think McCarthy or Kelly when McC went off had a free at the posts in the second half. McCarthy did get a free for nothing in extra time when he came back on. Cork upporters on here did not make much noise on this one.

Don't know without checking tbh,but i never heard of a hurling team going a half a.match without getting a free.

I just watched it back this afternoon. They didn't get a free in the second half. And apparently only 7 frees in total, only saw that on twitter though so not sure if accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

its accurate all right, but what a lot of clare people don't realise is that type of officatinon suites us , it gets the likes of kelly and fitz on more ball , personally i prefer games reffed like this , we were lucky with leen at the end because he was calling them all game though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Lads those of you complaining about the ref should try and ref a few games at under 14 / 16 level and see how hard it is. No slow motion replays to help disect what happened, if you're a foot one way you see a hurley being held, a foot the other way you don't see it. Other players running across your line of sight so you might miss a foul.

Umpires giving wrong decisions even though they are in the best position that's not on the ref.

The list of things that can affect a decision is endless.

I ref Junior and am fairly fit but you'd be fecked trying to keep up with play given how fast the game moves, God knows how hard inter county is.

that has been my argument for years , the directive from to the referees is let the game go as much as possible but keep control of it ,

Yeah, we got away with that one. I think we all love a bit of loose reffing, but it's just when you're on the losing side some find it harder to accept... But swings and roundabouts!

oh for sure , imagine the outcry this week in the county if conor leen was called back for that free 🙈 its unknown how much would have been said about us getting no free and being screwed ,

to be fair its happened us in the past last year on a few occasions so swings and roundabouts , but i would vastly prefer all hurling games to be let play like this not just our games , the whinge mentality from some clare supporters stems back to the davey days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭randd1

For all of the complaints about poor refereeing, Cork had plenty go in their way last Sunday. The assists for their first two points were blatant throws and that was in the first minute, they could have coughed up 40 frees alone on the throws throughout the game, and quite a few of their scores came off either a move involving a blatant throw or overuse of steps. Clare were no angels in that regard either, but Cork were by far the worst of the two for it.

Murphy let plenty things go for either side, probably too much. He got some bad calls against Cork, but gave them plenty of leeway and ignored many frees Clare should have got too.

In the end, it all amounted to the same thing; over the course of the game, the better team won. Clare giving away silly frees and hitting bad wides under no pressure when they were well on top kept it a tighter margin than anything, and Cork took their chances when they came, bar one or two bad wides under pressure. Not the free count.

But if lads put it down to refereeing decisions, then quite frankly Clare can have as much grievance as Cork for fouls. A lad getting away without giving a free for pulling a jersey at the end is the same as a lad getting away with throwing the ball out to another player to retain possession. Both are frees.

The ref wasn’t the deciding factor in this game, he let too much go in favour of either side for that to be the case. The deciding factor was that over the course of the game Clare were the better side, Cork put up a huge fight, but ultimately Clare did enough to fall over the line first. Nothing more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

No free to Clare for the whole of thr second half seems crazy. I wonder how long since that happened in an All Ireland final. In fact i wonder how long since that happened in a senior intercounty championship match. Must look back at the game again and see were Clare a little unlucky to not win a free in 37 minutes of hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭supernova5

Well I never heard of it in any match at any level ,seems unbelievable it could happen in an all ireland final.

Makes Clare performance even more impressive if true!

• Advertisement

Yeah for sure but it still won't stop the whinging about the ref

Advertisement