Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

How does Owens not even give a free for that or the one before it.

For me it is just about not a red, but very close to it, its a poor challenge.

Accidental shouldn't matter. Like rugby the onus is or should be on the player charging in to avoid the head on head clash.

I would also say that Bonnar was probably lucky too, his challenge was also borderline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Owens might have had the bright of running across the goals to distract from the fact it wasn’t a penalty. Jokes aside, Nobody is talking abou the fact it wasn’t a penalty. Kehoe being held and dragged down was more of a peno. But he was 60 yards away from that incident … umpires waved what looked like a John McGrath point wide too
    James Owen’s needs a little bit of protection here perhaps. Probably could do with a break from this level for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Penalty should not have been awarded but as it was it should have been retaken, Owen was in the line of sight of the keeper, if a player did it they would have been booked. The tussle with Kehoe at the other end was not a penalty either. Thought the McGrath shot was a point. Both teams got frees from diving and some blatant frees missed. Poor reffing on the day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

What’s far more disgraceful than the penalty is the fact that Owens was right beside this incident and didn’t even award a free out.

Talk of a clampdown on reckless tackles towards the head and one of the supposed top referees in the country waves play on when this happens in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya it was reckless and so was the diving tackle just before it. A strong yellow for the charge and a free for the diving tackle I reckon.

You cannot perform a fair shoulder if you're coming from the front. It has to be side on side. You can give a player the benefit of a fair attempt and mistime if they at least come in from the side (unless they use the elbow). The rules state: 1.7 Provided he has at least one foot on the
    ground, a player may make a shoulder to
    shoulder charge on an opponent:-
    (a) who is in possession of the ball, or
    (b) who is playing the ball other than when
    kicking it, or

(c) when both players are moving in the
    direction of the ball to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Very hard to see tipp coming out of munster, 1 point after two games. I just cannot see it, waterford in the driving seat for third.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

Far easier to have points on the board when your first two games are at home.

Two years in a row Tipperary start the season with 2 away games. The only other team to ever start a season with 2 away games was Clare and it happened just the once to them.

Blatantly unfair scheduling.

Waterford won't get another point. We'll see if 3 is enough to get them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Montys return

Jesus christ, ye are the most hard done by team that every played the game!!!!!

Did Davy know the camera was on him?
    https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeQLacJt/

Didn’t get much of a reaction from the players

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Montys return

Now that Walsh Park is in use, every team has two home and away games so there's nothing unfair about it. You're just looking to play the victim here.

Ye didn't win either home game last year anyway, even to a team that lost their first 3 games!

It's better to have points on the board than not and it's an advantage to play at home in every sport in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

a fairly well known one where he nearly broke into tears on the sunday game highlighting two clare infractions and ignoring all the limerick ones , the ref had an excellent game that day and never got a game for the year afterwards as a result

plenty of stuff went on as it was a munster final not a tickling contest , and he threw the referee under a bus

I know it's not the popular opinion but I don't think he had a good game at all.

People praised him for his old school hurling mentality of "letting if flow" but letting it flow often ends up as letting players get away with some very dirty play.

Dowling shouldn't be allowed commentate Limerick games though as his usually good reading of the game goes out the window.

fair enough , i am still of the old school verity though 😂 , and you are right it was probably the reason behind the stuff in the tunnel at the end of full time

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭siyo

After the last few weeks it's clear that the championship is very lopsided. I think from next year 4 teams should qualify from the Munster championship and 2 from Leinster. It's ridiculous that Wexford can lose to Antrim and draw with Dublin and still reach the all Ireland series. Wexford, Galway and Dublin wouldn't get within 5-10 points of any of the Munster championship teams currently.

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure that's the point. I used to think we need an open draw. But Munster have proven that provincials can not only work but can be amazing. There's nothing like local derbies - and familiarity breathes contempt and respect in equal measure. Nothing to stop Leinster bringing everyone up to a standard that can turn the province into a competitive warzone.

I wouldn't put a negative slant on an Antrim victory, or a Wexford draw, or what you have. We need more of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Knockdromin

”Nearly broke into tears” - two years on and ye’re still hysterical about that. Dowling was his normal self.

Two fairly clear cut incidents that were missed by Keenan that day were highlighted. For all the whataboutery that came out of Clare since I’m still waiting to see an example of something Keenan missed from a Limerick player that day on the same scale as the two incidents highlighted on TSG that night.

Clare lawyered up and got the suspensions overturned on technicalities. So ultimately no harm done in the end. Move on lads.

Fair enough I agree with your point on the negative slant on Antrim beating Wexford, I probably came across a bit condescending by what I said and I agree hurling badly needs another team or two like Antrim, Offaly, Carlow etc to become consistently competitive at the top level. I was more getting at that the two groups are incredibly lopsided quality wise and that two very good sides won't make the all Ireland series from Munster while two sides from Leinster will make it and they are not near the level of what is being produced in Munster.

there was plenty of stuff going around afterwards online which highlighted some of the stuff he missed , if that's his normal self i would hate to see the man in a depressed mood 😂 ,

in reality i feel that in these types of games rivalry games it should be let flow and your going to have incidents off the ball it happens in every game and that game was no different , as i said above i am probably in the old fashioned category in this all the guy had to do was be partial and highlight some of the limerick stuff too but he didnt , the vast majority of pundits in both codes do it anyway if you didn't like the man before and you were a clare supporter you would hate him for that and rightly so

and john keenan shouldn't have got the punishment he got either

do you honestly think that is fair on antrim , they beat us only a few years ago up in belfast and the same team has contested 2 munster finals , two all ireland semi finals and won a national league

It's a Boards tradition. As soon as the weekend is over conversation turns to nonsense talk about the championship structure.

They beat ye in the league, championship is a different animal.

i actually held my breath as i waited for the page to load , i taught you were going to bring up dowling again 😂 thank christ for that , i couldnt do with another lingering debate about it……🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Munster would be a bit of a farce if 4 got through, right now yourselves and Limerick would be a good as through, would definitely take the edge off it. Jeopardy is vital to any vibrant competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,048 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

So no hurling on the telly this weekend, no hurling on the telly next weekend, bizarre stuff again from RTE.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement