Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

It’s madness to change the Munster format to more than 3 going through. Look at the attendances. Look at the matches. It’s a brilliant tournament. Reducing the jeopardy would completely take away from it. If it ain’t broke….

I don’t think the Joe McDonagh teams take away from the argument that Waterford were not good enough. They were not. If they played better they would have qualified.

The JMD teams are obviously not as good as Waterford but it’s normal in lots of competitions to have different qualification routes. Chelsea are better than the LoI winners but it’s the LoI winners who have a chance to qualify for the CL this year. Lots of competitions have different qualification criteria. Waterford knew theirs at the start of the year and simply didn’t do enough.

There’s nothing wrong with the championship in hurling. It’s a brilliant competition to watch. The only thing I’d change is the time of year it’s played.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Clare and cork have adapted and are producing teams physically able to compete

Neither Clare or Cork have done much competing in Croke Park recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I know the focus is on Waterford at the moment…Who Haven't made it past May, for how many years now - 5 and counting I think!!, which is not good for Waterford. (That's 5 years young kids never saw Waterford play during the summer holidays)

But the bigger picture is when/if Waterford improves (Hopefully some year) it's Clare or Cork?, or when Tipp improves it's another 2 out of a strong Munster selection.

I just don't see how this is good in general for Hurling in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 26,068 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Actually in the genuine old calendar I'm pretty sure at least 50% of teams were finished by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭endainoz

No but they've both beaten the dominant all Ireland champs in the last two years. They are the two that have the best chance of beating them again, so yes they have adapted and are well able to compete with this Limerick team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 AllSquare

I like that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭blackcard

Deleted

Post edited by blackcard on

Hard to know what they could do to change things. Whatever line they went to they got turned over on their puckouts. Davy is yesterday's man though and has to go.

The attendance today was 31k? Plenty of kids saw Waterford play. So what if they see one game during their summer holidays or not. That could easily be rectified by moving the calendar. That’s not an issue with the competition format.

it’s absolutely fantastic that 2 of Waterford, tipp, clare, limerick, and cork don’t make it through. It’s an actual competition. Losing a game means something. Today was good because the loser of all the games had something on the line (bar tipp). Why would you remove that and devalue the tournament?

the Munster championship would lose its edge if 4 out of 5 went through. It would be a pointless competition like the equivalent in football.

I don’t see how not having jeopardy is good for hurling in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Limerick strong favs for me.

Clares form has been patchy. Thought they were poor today and were very lucky to beat a Waterford side last game that Limerick comfortably beat today.

• Advertisement

Again on RTE radio there was a mention of letting Carlow stay in Liam for a few years to "grow". How exactly does that work do we only promote teams and not relegate ?

GAA fans are the biggest group of mollycoddlers I have ever seen in sport. Everyone gets to the next round and no one gets relegated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭kksaints

It is a bit ridiculous that no matter how bad a team might perform in Munster that there's no chance of relegation. Then there's the nonsense that could happen if Kerry got promoted and what province they'd play in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Kilkenny in a final are always a different prospect.

Dublin aren't on Kilkennys level so I think Kilkenny should see them off without much fuss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Kilkenny in a leinster final are a different prospect.

If Carlow are good enough, they won’t get relegated. Sport is only good when there is jeopardy.

In Munster, that’s not qualifying for the AI series. In Leinster, that’s the same but with relegation for the bottom team. The JMD Cup offers an alternative route for qualifying which is fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford going down might be the only way of us getting into the All Ireland series

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭Rosita

The Joe McDonagh teams were not used by anyone to say Waterford were good enough. Waterford (and Galway) are just much better than the Joe McDonagh teams who find themselves further on in the competition despite playing much weaker opponents. That's a farce. Waterford (and Galway) and would be "good enough" if they played the same opposition as these teams.

No their isn't. The Kerry situation has been solved and they are definitely playing in Munster and a Munster team is relegated that year.

Shamrock rovers can qualify for the CL by playing much weaker opposition than Chelsea. It’s normal to have different qualification routes. The Joe McDonagh is one.

It’s the AI and those teams deserve a crack just as much as Waterford. Reverting to the old system is not something anyone wants.

It's a fairly sad reflection on the competition that if Waterford had been relegated to the Joe McDonagh last year they'd still be in the All Ireland championship. A strange kind of "jeopardy".

• Advertisement

Do you get a medal and a cup for being in the All Ireland series. They would get in and get bate by Limerick or another better team same as in Munster.

Mollycoddle away and give everyone a trophy. 34 teams and 34 All Ireland winners.

Competitions like the Six Nations & rugby's URC survive perfectly well without relegation. It's not a panacea necessarily. Not sure what benefit it would be to anyone for Waterford to have been in the Joe McDonagh cup. Tipperary won just one match last year and look at what they did to Offaly when they met. There's a huge chasm which a few defeats for the bottom Munster team against very strong opposition doesn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I'm not sure why the McDonagh counties voiced to remain playing the preliminary quarter finals when most of the time they get bet out the gate. I would get rid of this fixture anyway and free up another weekend in the calender. Maybe an extra weeks break between the games in Munster and Leinster round robin which takes a lot out of the players. Time for the pre lim quarter to be binned.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Clare in Exile

Watched the Galway v Dublin and Tipperary v Clare games today.

A poster made a comment a while back that the rate of scoring is almost becoming farcical these days, and I agree. Something has definitely been lost, it's almost like basketball these days.

It seems to be a combination of a change in sliothar composition, better striking methods and a change in tactics to more precise passing (leading to a more possession based game). No longer do we see the ball being "horsed" down the field to the same extent that it was years ago.

What's now missing is long passages of play where the game was a real contest. Now it tends to be short phases of play with the ball either being struck over the bar or wide. Whilst some of the long-range scores are quite skillful, they have become so common now that it is becoming almost monotonous.

Personally I much prefer tight, low-scoring contests where every point seems to matter. These days the rate of scoring is such that we hardly applaud points anymore.

What can be done to change this? Is it fair to see that these scoring feasts are almost becoming boring?

But they also don't allow promotion.

So for the sake of Carlow are you suggesting we lock out Laois, Offaly and Westmeath ?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

So who meets who going forward. Is Cork playing the losers of Leinster

Cork playing the winner of Joe and then that game will lead into the Leinster loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There some serious issues coming with Galway hurling at least if what I witnessed today was anything to go by. Just over 8000 people in Pearse stadium at a must win game. Galway out and that's the hurling income done for the year at Galway GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Prelim quarter finals

Cork v Laois/Offaly

Wexford v Laois/Offaly

Quarter Finals

Loser of Limerick/Clare v Wexford/Laois/Offaly

Loser of Dublin v Kilkenny v Cork/Laois/Offaly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Shamrock Rover's chances of getting to the CL proper are slim to none, and they will eventually play a team not far from the Chelsea level, so I don't think it a fair comparison.(See below)

Or to compare better, have the JoeMc teams play the losers of Muster and Leinster groups as part of their path??

CL qualification Rounds

• Preliminary round
      Teams involved (4)
    • First qualifying round
      Teams involved (29 new + 1 above)
    • Second qualifying round
      Teams involved (9 new + 15 above)
    • Third qualifying round
      Teams involved (12 new + 8 above)
    • Play-off round
      Teams involved (2 new + 10 above)
    • 6 go through

So each round New and better teams are added.

Which round would Shamrock Rover's enter?

Advertisement