Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which supermarket has the best fillet steak?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

I like the kettyle brand steaks in Tesco. They also do delivery direct from the farm/factory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Would be a shocker if it turned out that Eamonn wasn't the only one with such views, wouldn't it?

Be great if we all could stay on topic please. Happy Easter all 😀

Post edited by Planet X on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yes I have and yes I read it. He doesnt mention anything about rendering fat. Cold fat will render slower than room temp fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Theoretically, yes. But in practice with the temperatures involved, the difference is negligible. That's the point.

Perhaps you could post up the results of your reasonably scientific comparative experiment?

• Advertisement

• Best fillet I’ve ever had, in Poland last weekend. Incredibly nicely cooked, juicy, tender, wonderful flavour. A bit far to go to get your steak though.

• theory nothing

Cold fat will not cook as quick as room temp, the fat will need to reach a certain temperature to render which will be slower if cold.
    You may be talking mere seconds in the difference but that is irrelevant it’s still longer

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Also - if you have the time (and it defo worth it) - generously salt the steak and leave it overnight or for atleast a few hours, pat dry and then cook them, you will really like the way they turn out

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Mod note

I'm really disappointed to see the snippy comments in this thread. Nothing wrong with food debate but off topic arguments and personal abuse are totally uncalled for. I'm barely here due to personal reasons but I will continue to dole out warnings anywhere I spot it's necessary. This forum has historically been really positive and supportive. Let's try to keep it that way.

ME

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I truly love a good steak but it isn't always easy to find, even in a decent restaurant…..memories of a grey, tough T-bone still break my heart. There isn't a cut that I wouldn't cook but when it comes to fat, I would cook my partner's ribeye to medium after a good hot sear but for my own, I trim out the eye of fat and render it first, then cook my un-oiled steak with a hole in it, in its own fat. That way I can have mine rare with a knob of garlic butter in the hole! I always look for a good edge of fat on all other steaks, start them off in a dry pan to render the fat down and then cook them in their own fat. I'm not saying this would be everyone's choice but I'm drooling here at the thought! No pasta for me tonight after all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I can't take the mouth texture of fat and cut it all off first, be it bacon or steak. I do render down bacon fat and then cook in it as it's quite quick, but not with beef except when doing a stew. I let the cats have it and cook steak in butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭65535

Haven't eaten meat for many years now (Vegan) but that's not why I'm commenting.

I did in the distant past find a slight odour of 'Jeyes Fluid' off Aldi steaks and found Super Valu Meat great - maybe I was just unlucky and got the meat that fell on the floor ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Oh, aye, did you yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Jeyses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

This thread has run its course

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement