Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Married in UK

Options
  • 27-03-2024 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have lived in the UK all my life. I have an Irish Passport and citizenship due to my dad and grandparents being Irish and I was born in County Antrim.

I had my notice of intent to marry a British National yesterday in Oxford and the registrar looked confused when she said on her computer screen it said to contact the Irish Embassy and let them know I’m getting married. She didn’t understand because being Irish I am allowed to get married in the UK under the CTA agreement. I sent the Irish Embassy in London an email this morning explaining I’m getting married for the first time ever in my life.

Does anyone know what this is about?

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

This might explain - first result in google for "Irish Citizen marrying in UK"

It looks like you need "freedom to marry" documentation from the Irish Embassy before you can go ahead with a marriage in the UK - presumably to confirm that you haven't been married in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭beachhead

Holding an English pp would have exempted you. You can apply online thru dfa.ie for the freedom to marry certificate. It could take a month to get it. It is posted out.It is valid for 90 days(not sure, could be 6 mths from date of issue.Costs E90 now I think and paid when applying.Your name on the cert will be your birth name if that is an issue

If there is a difference between your current id names and your birth names you should email them as soon as your application is acknowledged.You get an email acknowledgement almost immediately after applying.Tell them what name version you want on the cert

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tomuk

The registrar didn’t mention this yesterday. She said at the end of the notice of intent to marry to turn up half an hour before our intended marriage time on the day and we’d have a 15 minute interview each before we get married on the 28th June. There wasn’t any mention that I had to get anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tomuk

Just had this from the London Irish Embassy:

I hope you are well and congratulations on your upcoming wedding. 

As an Irish citizen getting married in England or Wales you are not required to notify the Irish Embassy in London of your wedding. Your marriage once civilly registered, is automatically recognised by the Irish state. Freedom to marry certificates are not required for Irish citizens getting married in England or Wales. 

All the best to you both on your big day.

Kind Regards,

• Advertisement

Good to know tomuk. Cordial relations between the Irish and UK government still apply. You're lucky that both of you are citizens of the British Isles. The rules are different for others-1 Irish and 1 other nationality.Congrats on your forthcoming nuptials

Advertisement