Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jeffrey Donaldson steps down as DUP leader after being charged with historical sex crimes -*Read OP*

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I'd assume that was a video of Ruth Patterson. It has been argued by posters on this very site.

Arguments tend to focus on how his brand of Christianity was outside the control of Rome and drawing comparisons between his early church and that of modern CoI or Presbyterianism depending on who you're talking to.

Since his mission wasn't officially commissioned by Rome, one could argue that he wasn't entirely Catholic as such (though apparently in his own writings, he referred to the Roman Church as his brothers, so he identified as one), though it is a fierce jump from that to claiming him for a church that didn't exist at this point.

Given my own complete and utter lack of faith, I'd look at it all as a bit quirky but fairly harmless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Horrible story. So bad, people here aren't even speculating on what might have happened because writing it into words feels horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Penfailed

…or the mod warning in the first post prevents it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '25 - Orbital, Supergrass

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Oxo Moran

It was a nonsense statement to have a go at the other community. Didn't King Billy take money off the Pope? We could go on and on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭volchitsa

TBF, we pretty much know what the allegations are. Details all over twitter and elsewhere.

I think the mod ban is why posters here are not speculating (more).

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Oh I'm aware of exactly what it is,. I'd view it as insecurity more than anything, certainly not something I'm losing any sleep over. I was just sharing the pseudo-academics behind the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭REDBULL68

I spoke about this when he was charged, got a warning,as we can't discuss court cases ,it's in nth Ireland, which last time I checked is still in the u.k,but you can discuss Donald Trump court cases no problem and various court cases in the u.k in the past .

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Looking at this, it appears that the main offences happened since 1985.

Seems as though Donaldsons daughters were born in 1990 and 1992.

So maybe not a case as clearcut as first anticipated by most. However, involvement of Mrs. Donaldson in parallelit seems likely in my mind that this will still go the way of a conviction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement