Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

If a CMod is the subject of a complaint then it automatically goes to an Admin. The subject of a complaint cannot be the one to adjudicate on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dan Steely

That thread has been pruned (slashed) back into a nice tidy little pseudo-thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Maybe I’m misremembering and it wasn’t a complaint, but the original mod was definetly the CMod and just brushed off the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,475 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

You can though if you're on mobile. On the home page switch the view from "All" to "Following" in the little dropdown box above the forums. Then the only threads you see are the ones you actively choose to follow (also any forums you follow).

Doesn't work quite as well on desktop tbh. Then again the whole Vanilla platform model seems more mobile based with a desktop version added on for the sake of having it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Sorry for disagreeing with you but there’s very few mods capable of doing what you’re outlining below - and theres a post not far from yours that’s doing just that right now -

“With enough experience we can almost instantly tell when someone’s giving an opinion to partake in the discussion vs someone just trying to get a rise.”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Honestly, it's a bit rich to be bemoaning the absence of the middle ground, then coming out with the far-right trope about the hate speech legislation will be the end of the world.

Click into your bookmarks page, rather than the home page.

https://www.boards.ie/discussions/bookmarked

• yeah you can’t warn mods in or out of their forum. It’s a vanilla thing.

• you don’t have to apologise for disagreeing with me, I don’t care in the nicest way possible haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

well mods not caring is probably half the issue here - there’s lots of posters with mod after their name but most don’t appear to be active modding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

Same here - it didn't mention any names but was just a humorous throwaway. Post disappeared without comment.

Some idea as to why it was deleted would have been very useful even if only to 'educate'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,433 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And then you wonder why your reputation is so low.

Did you even for one second consider just not posting that snide remark?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The changeover a few years back was a complete and utter disaster.

It took several days (if not weeks) of site outage when it was planned to be completed initially over a weekend. Then it took several more weeks (if not months) before it became clear what the new experience would be like.

The complete disappearance of critical functions, specifically around modding (cards display system for example) showed that the scope and agreement with vanilla for the changeover was mismanaged and not even understood appropriately before any contract was even signed.

Some other things that were lost directly in the changeover that impacted the users experience which again influences visitors to the site was the loss of the 'Most thanked' posts tab. That was something that used to bring me to the site every day and often I would spend significant time on the threads linked from that tab. Poof, gone, in the changeover, never seen again.

And because of the changeover many long term contributors (many of who modded as well) stepped away from the site and have never returned. Aside from their mod duties, many of these contributed on a lot of conversations. One in particular also ran 'Best……..' competitions which were highly popular and again gave people a positive experience when coming to the site.

Aside from this, unless you were on the site, you had no clue (and still don't) as to what is happening on it. I know Boards doesn't have a budget for advertising or anything like that but I'm sure the likes of 2fm/todayfm would run a no cost piece once a week where they'd talk about some key conversations that were happening on the site as a form of advertisement. Those stations would happily use such an update for 5 minutes to provide content for their shows. Also, I'm nearly ten years a member now and can set up my account to send me emails every time someone quotes me or whatever. And yet, I've never received an email from the site telling me about popular threads or topics which again could drive traffic back to the site. Has there been a single planned initiative to bring traffic to the site?

And added to all this, and as I've said before on threads like this, the modding experience since the changeover is just shocking. For all involved. There is zero accountability for the most senior mod now in their style or implementation of modding and that has been a very large reason why I've posted maybe 4-5 times total in the last 6 months or so. I respect the effort they have put in to the site for so long, but because of the absence of other strong personalities around with or involved with the site, it has gotten out of control and overall paints a negative image of how the place works right now. I'd say I was banned from a total of 1-2 threads in my time on here (7-8 years) up until the changeover. Since then, it's probably 4-6 threads, all by this same person and when I've asked for CMod review etc, I've had zero response or engagement. It's a problem.

This also caught my eye just now.

A site administrator, several years in to the new site, does not understand the moderation system and process. No disrespect to the posters involved here, at all. But for such a situation to exist at this point is a massive red flag with respect to structures/process/communication at the mod/admin level. I don't think any site could expect to thrive in such an environment. Unless it was deliberately courting crazy conspiracy type posting, which Boards obviously isn't doing.

And this is probably a quote from the last one of these threads last year or whenever but I still stand by it; 'Good Moderation won't bring people to the site, but bad moderation will make them leave'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I don't have time now to read the full thread but here goes.

The majority of the mods, cmods and admins are grand, but all it takes is one bad mod to ruin a forum. If posters complain that should be taken on board. One power-hungry mod delighted with their modship is a pathetic sight to behold.

Ease up on the "off topic" obsession, no one stands up in the middle of a normal conversation and demands everyone sticks to the original topic.

Let zombie threads run, they still have relevant posts and can be added to even if the original posters have disappeared.

People offended by a topic/thread should be advised not to read it or threadbanned if necessary. The AH Woke thread was shut down because the sensitive posters and faux right on posters continuously reported posts. The point of it was to laugh at stuff, not be lectured by Karens.

Cull the obvious trolls who post one after another and thank each other's posts, we all know who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dan Steely

What were the reasons for the Talk To companies leaving the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BolloxChop

And there we have it. A prime example of what's wrong with this site. Make a comment and called far right. It's as if some posters just see another poster commenting on the Hate crime legislation and they're automatically branded far right. If you had actually read my comment you'd understand that I wasn't saying anything far right as you call it. I was pointing out that if some posters ACTUALLY post something that's racist, far right or generally scummy then this site might get in trouble for hosting it. The people running this site may not want that headache.

Calm yourself down..

A site administrator, several years in to the new site, does not understand the moderation system and process. No disrespect to the posters involved here, at all. But for such a situation to exist at this point is a massive red flag with respect to structures/process/communication at the mod/admin level.

I have never professed to know everything about the site, and things that work on Vanilla today may completely change tomorrow with an update. Administrators have no input into communication with Vanilla. We're moderators with a few extra tools. I have no idea of the background workings of the site. I was a Category Moderator for a long time, which is maybe why I wasn't aware a moderator couldn't action another moderator. Category Moderators obviously could. When I was a moderator (on VBulletin) we could action other mods.

Honestly - people ask for transparency and communication. I hold my hands up and admit there was a function that I wasn't aware of, and suddenly this is a "massive red flag"?! Really?! Mike, the only paid Boards.ie employee, often has to go to Vanilla to question a function or lack of function. The fact that I now know that moderators can't action other moderators is something I will be questioning. Maybe the others already know about it. Maybe it is something that is being addressed.

Maybe I'm the only Admin who isn't omnipotent!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

OK, here's two suggestions to make the site better: the first serious and the second slightly tongue in cheek but would work.

1. all specific threadbans should expire after a certain time. A month or whatever. That would keep posters on board and lessen the workload a bit. As long it was not abused by mods to shut people up for a while without proper cause.

2. Boards can be great if you're looking for assistance with hobbies, work projects, tech and so on. These are non controversial on the whole. So close down the Current Affairs/ IMHO type forums & threads which deal with more controversial everyday events. I don't believe it's possible to moderate most of these effectively and fairly. Of course, this would drive down site use as many posters come for a bit of debate and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm not blaming you. I'm saying this situation should not exist where people do not know the structures in which they operate. I mean, someone isn't going to get a handle on this knowledge overnight, but that is not the case here.

It is 100% the fault of those managing the site that this situation exists. And I don't neccessarily mean that it is Mike who is at fault for this either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

What this revelation makes me wonder is how very rare it must be for a report on a mod to actually be upheld, if, several years after the changeover to Vanilla, that this has never come up at Admin level before.

That says a lot about how such reports are being handled, down the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

At risk of repeating, I'd appreciate if someone will explain the meaning of the mod warnings given in two of the current more controversial threads on the site: how does one post on these threads if you can't report experiences or stories and so on?? It's a licence to threadban posters on a whim, as far as I can see and should not be tolerated?

Mod warnings:

23/02/24 - Drop the anecdotes, they are getting out of hand in this thread. Unverifiable and agenda driven stories, typically designed to rile people up or get a reaction. They will result in threadbans if they continue. Previous threads were closed because they got so bad.

and

Mod warning posted 06/03/23

Personal so called anecdotes are what caused the original Ukrainian refugee thread to be closed

Any more can expect threadbans

I'm saying this situation should not exist where people do not know the structures in which they operate

In any situation people will exist and not know the full structures in which they operate... Until a situation arises that they've never seen before. And then they learn from that. It's why we are surrounded by people with different levels of experience in many areas. So if there's something we don't know, or haven't encountered yet, we can look to the ones who already have the knowledge for guidance.

I will put my hands up, I still regularly ask questions or look for second opinion from other Admins when I am not sure of something. Is that not a good thing? There is so much about the site I don't know. There are so many forums I've never visited. There are moderators I've probably never heard of! If I'm not confident of something I won't weigh in. I'll let someone more knowledgeable deal with it.

And this is a "massive red flag" 🤷🏻‍♀️

I started as a mod in Personal Issues in the Society and Culture section. I rarely ventured into AH or CA for example. I don't think I've ever visited Sport!

As a result I tend to stay away from issues in those particular sections unless specifically called on, because I know there are others with far superior knowledge than me in those areas.

What I can tell you is I have contacted moderators myself, even without seeing anything reported, if I see them posting in a way that I feel isn't appropriate. I have contacted the Cat-Mods of the section to ask them to keep an eye and maybe steer in the right direction.

I know posters would like to think it's all one big boys' club with everyone protecting their own and ignoring the average poster, but that is absolutely not how it works. I rarely visit the reported posts forum. I have excellent co-mods in any forum I'm a moderator of and depend on them! However I do read a lot and I sometimes spot a post I don't like the look of and will contact the moderator directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

'Just because you think a mod is being a Dick, doesn't actually mean they are of course, the poster reporting might be the Dick for instance.'

There you go again. You find it impossible to entertain the idea that a mod is being a dick. Always turning it back on a poster. It's actually a condition at this point.

A mod wouldn't be human if they weren't capable of being a dick.

Put this on your mirror for future reference

1. A mod is capable of being a dick
    2. A poster is capable of identifying when a mod is being a dick
    3. Everyone is capable of being a dick (including me)
    4. Not all posters are dicks
    5. Not all posters have an agenda
    6. Mods, like posters, are capable of reporting something, warning about something, banning about something that is not right.
    7. If I keep sticking up for all mods just for the sake of it, posters will see through it and it will negate the support when its actually required in good faith.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

There you go again - only seeing it from one perspective.

I've said before, I'll say it again, if a post needs a warning, it should get it.

Not sure what part of that you cannot understand.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Threadbans can be dropped at any stage, they aren't time specific. The poster just needs to re-engage with the moderator. I did it all the time when I used to mod CA and COVID. It does take a genuine effort though, someone contacting me making demands or throwing abuse is obviously going to get short shrift.

Posters can sometimes feel like a warning is a personal affront and that the mod has it out for them and honestly, that is not the case. It's just an advisory to modify their posting style so it doesn't break any rules.

My advice for people is if you get a warning, instead of PMing the mod in a frenzy and starting discussion off on the wrong foothold, go for a walk, have a cup of tea, do anything to disconnect. Then come back and engage in a civil discussion. If it doesn't work then you still have the option of dispute resolution where a CMod and/or admin can review the warning. I've had posters come to me before and say "yep I messed up there really sorry" and have sometimes lifted the warning at that stage even if it should be actioned (post normally edited by poster/myself on agreement or just deleted). We can all have a bad day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

This isn't about how you personally carry out your role BBOC. I think it's a bigger, site wide issue.

However, I will say that you yourself have said that rather then give a mod a warning, they are given a nudge or some advice on how to be better, and honestly, how nice for them!

The average poster does not get the same consideration.

They get posts deleted, on thread warnings, threadbans, etc and are told if they have a problem with any of that go to Help Desk or Dispute Resolution where they are shunted from billy to jack, and there is so rarely an outcome in their favour that most posters won't even bother trying to engage with it.

You say its not all one big boys' club with everyone protecting their own and ignoring the average poster, but honestly, from this side it sounds exactly like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Oh, I understand all too well. It's why those who say reporting mods is a waste of time - which is completely true. Flipping logic and not engaging with the points of a post is not good faith posting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

My point is very clearly made - good faith posting indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement