Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And the same should apply to thread bans, as pointed out above these are self policed in a sort of way. But in practice if a poster repeatedly ignores a thread ban then they'll be forum banned. There's an instance mentioned up thread here of a poster accidentally forgetting a thread ban and being censured further.

Site bans yes I'm sure are warranted but that is the nuclear option. But forum and thread bans should be limited and expire automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Shoog

I have been thread banned and warned on a number of occassions and with one exception I aint complaining and bitching about it on the forums. Get over it and grow up.

If your site banned you are not welcome on Boards and a re-reg is against the rules of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yes you need good mods but like everything these days the commitment to a site such as this is only ever going to be temporary given the younger demographic - so give them or ask them for a 6 month or 1 year commitment - then demod and move on - and get more volunteers -introduce 24 hour bans - basically a slap on the wrist - move to 1 week then 1 month etc - it won’t deal with re regs but it will deal with stupid pr1#ks who want to try out trolling as an occupation - I’ve been in contact with a number of posters who can’t understand how some bloody obvious trolls are here without any sanction - so there’s certainly collision between certain mods and certain posters who have been here for some time on the site - that bloody obvious to anyone - there’s rot in boards but no one is willing to call it out

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

I'm quite grown up, thank you very much. And I'd appreciate less patronising advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Its nothing to do with the youngsters and the way they use the internet. There are still plenty of "old" people around and boards could thrive.

Modding is the biggest issue without a doubt. Forum bans handed out and not revoked even after years. Its madness.

I know mods are volunteers. But some of them are really poor. Not all. Just some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If you want a threadban lifted pm the mod. Thats how it expires no automated nonsense needed. If you are too scared to PM a mod or incapable of engaging with them then maybe that thread/forum just doesn't suit you anyway.

• there seems to be some confusion around how bans work? To put it simply

Threadbans are just mod instructions. There’s nothing preventing you from posting in a thread you’ve been told not to but you will be further sanctioned for doing so. They have no time limit and if you want it lifted you must discuss that with the mod. If nothing comes of that you can dispute it in Help Desk only.

Forum Bans are time limited (except when permanent but that’s last chancearoo you’ve been a pain in the neck for a long time) and will completely restrict your access. The forum(s) you’re banned from are not visible to you anymore. Those are disputed in Dispute Resolution if you can’t get anywhere with the moderator who banned you.

Sitebans are full on sitewide bans obviously by the name. You can’t use the site with your account anymore. Depending on if it’s sitebanned by warnings it will expire once your “active” points fall below 5 active points.
    As I understand because there’s no prison forum or any easy way to dispute a site ban the admins won’t do it manually except in very rare circumstances of serious rule breaches and the process for expiration is the same as forum bans.

I and many posters are completely at the end of our tether with lack of moderation on certain threads and when they do intervene they don’t hit the issue or the poster - so yes I’m annoyed - so you can file my “protest” whatever way you wish - I don’t care anymore it’s that simple - either this thread is for voices to be heard or it’s not - if the message is too hard to take then whatever that’s way above my pay grade

• but you have t a clue who is a rereg, and you certainly have t site-banned trolling regs. In fact certain one(s) enjoy impunity on Boards, as if they have some hold on the site that I can’t possibly think of. Others making critiques get warnings, they get no visible warnings. And one poster in particular is making fun of their impunity and trolling other posters to have command of threads. It is being allowed and is quite frankly a disgrace.

• I don’t know what threads you’re referring to so I can’t really offer anymore than I have already. But you seem to think all the mods don’t give a shite when I’ve just explained we’re volunteers and can’t be everywhere at once. If troublesome posts are not reported we can’t deal with them and if posters are causing trouble they will be dealt with in due course. I will say I see an awful lot of people claiming a poster is “trouble” or “a troll” when in reality it’s just they’re not very popular among certain groups.
    we don’t moderate on popularity of an individual we will moderate if the charter or site rules are broken.

• Advertisement

• Generally if you can’t be broadly civil maybe the site isn’t for such a person.

I just tried to quote a post? Again this time it didn’t work. This eve I g I’m watching sentences I tripped being changed by Vanilla software. It’s getting weird now.

• I don’t have the tools to verify if someone is a re reg or not but the admins certainly do. I can also tell you for a fact any suspected re reg is reported to admins and checked by same.
    Vanilla has hampered the admins ability somewhat to link accounts together as well but when someone is re reg and detected they are sitebanned.
    What you may not realise is often these re reg trolls are the same handful of people and not a massive group.
    For example I can think of one person who re reg’d close to 100 times just in my tenure as a mod!

• Some are NOT being dealt with and are causing major trouble in some forums. It’s all so terribly obvious unless one is wearing blinkers.

• They can’t though, they are not cybersecurity experts. It has proven to be the case. They cannot detect reregs if re reg has such knowledge and people are getting very smart now.

Edit- I tried to quote @Charleigh Tinkling Squadron there but Vanilla is acting up woefully with iPhone use anyway past two days.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

sorry but don’t give me that “reporting” rubbish - I and MANY others have reported multiple posts on certain threads and NOTHING is done about those certain posters continuing in the same posting style - Ive taken on b0ll0x responses from an ADMIN on this site when I directly challenged him on PM and I’m more than prepared to do it here also - the ordinary posters have taken enough - we won’t be bullied by terse and condescending ADMIN or moderator responses from here on in that’s for sure

• if you suspect someone’s a re reg then feel free to send me the link to their profile and I’ll share with the admins. I can’t offer anymore help than that.

• And yes, that type of re reg needs to be stopped after no more than 10 posts by AI, or at least halted before a mod has seen it. In fact nobody should be allowed continue past a few posts before a mod has verified they are not set up to troll. I do t blame ordinary mods, I’ve been there, I do blame the site owners though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I think some people just want an echo chamber and singular opinions rather than a message board. That’s not how they work folks.

• I’m sorry if you feel that I’m bullying you or being condescending. I certainly do not mean to sound that way I am honestly trying to help you here.

but to take your frustration out on us like you have is unfair Oscar, we are all doing our best with the tools we have available. If you feel that someone is not being addressed is it that they haven’t broken the rules? We don’t have sides to take but often posters can feel someone should be dealt with when there’s nothing wrong with their posting.

For every 10 reports I read maybe 1-2 are actionable and the rest are clearly just the reporter not liking what was said very much or indeed the poster they reported. But as I said seeing as I have no idea what you’re personally referring to I can’t be of much use here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I actually think it was a good thing this thread was moved from AH.

If it hadn't been, many of the posters who have expressed their views freely here would without a doubt have already been subjected to warnings and threadbans and the thread shut down, as a previous similar post by the same OP was. (Someone posted a link to it above). Link Here

At least this time, it has been allowed to run its course.

• Advertisement

I’m not getting at you personally Charleigh Tinkling Squadron- just to be clear- obviously I’m angry - I’ll leave what I said there -maybe others can put it more diplomatically - thanks

And PS- no you weren’t conscending or bullying either - I think that’s important also to clarify - you’ve had your own abuse on this thread and elsewhere - I don’t mean to add to it

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

The current affairs forum is actually hilarious. The vast majority of the posters are right wing yet the moderators are fairly out to the left, a mighty paradox.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 McDougal2

So true the moderators are so out of their depth. They need to get with the winning side. I was "warned" for several no valid reason except I was told to "read the rules of some blah blah" This guy sounds as if he's about 10 with the attitude of "Teacher look at how good a big boy I am". Thank god for Sarsfields.

Respectfully, I'm mildly surprised that you seem to think that posters are not registering new accounts so as to access threads and topics of interest. As a moderator, it must be very obvious? Any regular poster on threads can spot them. I could make a fair guess as to the former names of some on this thread. Some threads, like the Russia have many. In fact, if they weren't tolerated - current activity would fall away steeply. I'm not going to bother looking for it but I do recall Beasty, a sensible chap, observing that it was quite legitimate i.e. logical for posters to re register. This is a boards problem, not the users.

I respectfully disagree - there are petty warnings and threadbans handed out. But continue shooting the messenger..

• I was recently warned for being the messenger, I don’t dispute it as I was a bit cheeky with it 😁 but the original mega-troller gets away it Scot-free. Walks away to go to ur sticking 2 fingers at other posters who are getting very annoyed and the site must be very busy with the amount of PMs going around about it. It is SOOO obvious. We, the broadly decent posters, just won’t put up with it.

To moderate current affairs and politics and the like threads, you'd want a) to be bang up to date with the topic and the prevailing news & views and b) up to date with the internal thread agendas. I'm not convinced at all that some mods are up to date with or interested in the topics they're trying to keep an eye on. So they just become reactive to the moment and whatever posts are flagged without seeing it as a whole.

• There have been measures implemented to prevent re reg that have either failed miserably or semi worked. The tools vanilla offers us sometimes work well and sometimes don’t work at all! Mike is in constant communication with the devs.

even if it looks like nothing is being done, trust me (or don’t, your choice), there’s always something being looked at and trialled.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,189 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is a poster active on this thread that was a wum on a long running thread that had multiple "do not post here again" warnings against them.

And they kept coming back posting, ignoring the warnings until they were eventually permanently thread banned.

And they are on this thread complaining about mods.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

No messenger shot. Just perma-victimhood getting knocked down

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement