Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH install ???

Options
  • 30-03-2024 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭

I have copper broadband at up to 100mb speed.
    I have renewed my eir contract to go with ftth 500mb plan.
    What is any new wiring will need to be done?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

New fibre optic cable from a DP on a nearby pole or chamber outside, to an ONT located inside the house, near to a power socket. The ONT converts the optical signal to an electrical signal.

The router is then connected to the ONT.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Telegraph pole literally 30 feet from my house is where the present cable comes from. It enters my house through the soffit and into the attic, runs across the attic into my hot press where there is a connection box of some sort. Then down into my living room where the phone point is.
    Do you think they will follow that route?
    Don't want any hole drilled in outer walls or cables running down them.

You can discuss how the cable will be run with the installer on the day.

Some installers won't go into the attic, health and safety related.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Hijacking this - there's what appears to be FTTH boxes on the poles along the road where I live for a couple of months now but no info about whether or when it's available. The eir site still says they can deliver up to 100mb. Anywhere I can ask to find out if and when it's available?

It appears eir can be slow to update their address file. Check your eircode with other retail providers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭RobiePAX

OpenEir usually updates availability records once a month. You can't really query availability unless you have the neighbor who was connected to it but you were excluded. Then they will be willing to check what's up with that.

Otherwise if nobody in the area has FTTH then they'll just give a generic response that FTTH is being built but is not yet active in your area.

Installed today.
    Tech guy was super obliging and ran the cable through the attic and into the hot press.
    Switchover was withing 20 minutes. Went for the 500mb package as I don't think I would be getting any feeding faster than that.
    All in all a great job.

Just an update on this.
    Broadband is 100% upstairs.
    Downstairs in the living room is hit and miss. Hot press is top of the stairs, If I put one of the Eir Mesh things in my front hall would it improve my downstairs signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Yes - it should make a big difference

• Advertisement

Forgot to ask. Does it need ethernet ? Or does it hook to the f3000 wirelessly?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭grinder23

Wirelessly

Thanks,
    Just decide now should I get one or two.
    I'm sort of thinking one as the house is small.

Post edited by vectra on

One is probably adequate if the house is small. Thick walls are a barrier to WiFi, particularly if they have a foil layer on insulation. By the way, you can daisy-chain the eir mesh devices wirelessly, but you can also use ethernet cable. if you have it.

Yeah,
    I'm thinking the chimney brest is blocking the signal as it is a double one back to back and Hot press upstairs would be bang on between it and where the signal is weak in my sitting room.
    If I got the Eir Mesh device I could put it in my front hall which is right beside the sitting room and a few yards from the Kitchen area,
    Sure I could always order a second one if needs be.
    Thanks

Sounds like the chimney breast and hot press are your problem. If there is a reasonably clear route along the landing and down the stairs, placing one unit in your hall should bounce the WiFi around ypur ground floor. Yes - you can always get another one later, if you need it.

Yes,
    Hot press directly at the top of the stairs. Hallway right below.
    Will report back.
    Thanks

Update,
    Just set it up there a while ago and let it settle before reporting back.
    On my phone using home BB. Speedtest.
    Kitchen
    Before
    254.8 down
    47.1 up

After
    320.1 down
    50.4 up

Sitting room * black spot *
    Before
    44.3 down
    50.3 up

After
    253.2 down
    34.7 up

The thing is.
    from my hot press is literally 3 feet to the top step of my stairs.
    13 steps to the hallway and the hub is positioned on a hall table 3 feet from the bottom step.
    It is intermittently going from 3 green lights to chasing colors and dropping connection.
    Damn, I would have thought a short distance like that would have been fine.
    Next step????
    Do I get another one and put it on a unit I have in the landing in the hopes it would boost the signal to the hall?
    Or would it be possible to use a very long ethernet cable and move the modem to the landing? * Not 100% an option with my wife * 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 34,689 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Get everything that's fixed in place on wired ethernet if possible. Smart TVs, game consoles etc. and turn wifi off on these devices.

Wired backhaul for any mesh device as well. If it's just taking a wireless signal and repeating it, it halves the available throughput.

You can go 100 metres on ethernet which "should be enough for anyone"

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

That will be my aim for the next year…wire in a 10gb network in the utility and get at least 2 network sockets in some of the rooms ie mine :)

I just got in 1gb broadband and the only device that can take advantage of it is my NAS as its wired directly to the router.

I have one of the TP mesh however the second one is backhauled wirelessly and this drops wifi down to about 180mb while the downstairs one plugged into the router gets about 700megs.

I'm also using powerline adapters for my pc..I was under the mistaken belief that the newer 2.5gb switch ones would increase my performance drastically but this isn't the case at all. Still limited to a max of about 220megs for my PC. So this will be my first target to fully hardwire.

Leaning towards this switch for the moment - I know its only 10GB in for the WAN and the LAN ports are 2.5GB but this would do me for a while. Main thing is to have all the wiring done beforehand.

https://eu.store.ui.com/eu/en/pro/category/all-switching/products/usw-pro-max-16

• Advertisement

I disagree that there is a need to wire everything - this is overkill. It would be fine if you were building a new house, but the mesh system should be fine, if you tweak the locations of the router, extension unit or, worst case get an extra extension unit to bounce around the hot-press. The hot-press is full of copper, and it will stop WiFi dead if it is blocking the line of sight from your router to the extension unit. Could you run cables through the hot-press, and mount the router on the other side of it, so that it has clear view of the other unit at the bottom of the stairs? Could you place the extension unit directly underneath the router downstairs (I am assuming it is upstairs). The WiFi might be able to go through the floor boards, if no underfloor heating or other pipes/wiring between the two floors at that point, and if the plasterboard isn't foil-backed? Then the extension unit might serve the whole ground floor from the new location? The before-and-after figures you show are quite good - but perhaps you are saying that they don't consistently stay at this level?

You sir, are a genius.
    I moved it to my kitchen this morning directly under the hot press and got fantastic speeds.
    Then move it towards the front hall, placing it just inside the kitchen door on a unit ans still got similar speeds.
    Did a speedtest in my sitting room which is back to back with my kitchen.
    On the left of my tv on the chimney brest I was getting mid 40 to 60 fluctuating.
    Did I test on the right hand side of the TV and was getting steady 220. this happens to be directly behind the block wall between the sitting room and where the unit is positioned.
    I had my android box positioned on the left of the tv. Moved it to the right and did a speedtest.
    steady 200 + every time.
    Thanks for the time and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

Getting my virgin 500mb upgrade to 1GB on Saturday. Can I ask installer to give me a second wired connection point in another room separate to the room with the router ?

Advertisement