Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowdrops

Options
  • 31-03-2024 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Some advice on snowdrops would be greatly appreciated. I have planted some snowdrops 'in the green' into a shady part of my garden that also contains lots of ferns including tree ferns. In the late spring and early summer I like to how this area and remove all weeds. Will hoeing snowdrop leaves affet the following years crop?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Damaging the leaves is likely to prevent the plant building up a store of food which sustains the bulb for the next winter's flowering. I wouldn't have described them as "weeds", either, since they are a plant that you DO want. They are quite small and modest, not ugly in appearance or anything. Advice is to cherish the leaves!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Weedy Gonzalez

Good advice! Definitely want to keep the snowdrops but I'm more worried that if I inadvertently how the leaves by mistake in mid summer will they produce flowers the following year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

By mid summer the leaves will already be starting to fade, since snowdrops flower so early. I'd say that by June you are safe enough to cut them if you must.

Advertisement