Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2 Johnnies are leaving 2FM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭bureau2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah but since when did RTE care about what the public thinks!

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭supereurope

I can agree with that. I was really shocked by his performance in that, shame he didn't continue down the drama path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The two johns signing albums in golden discs in newbridge soon. Yeah lads who are on an upward trajectory for sure 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Tork

The podcast gets 750,000 weekly listeners https://audioone.ie/audioonethe2johnnies/ I find them about as funny as root canal surgery but there are a lot of people out there who like what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Coodykeegan

No loss, embarrassment to Tipp, the 2 rubber johnnies they are known as locally, once u hear them once that’s it, a bit like mrs browns boys, then it’s the same thing over and over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭its_steve116

"We haven't time [for a daily radio show.] To be honest, we are working seven days a week for the past two years. We are working all day today and all day tomorrow on our new show. We can't stop doing our podcast, we can't stop doing our Patreon podcast, we can't stop doing live gigs. Something had to go. We could have stopped doing telly, but that's very sporadic. If we ever wanted to have our lives back, unfortunately, radio was the one that had to go." - Johnny B,

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

It would not suprise me if Healy gave their slot to Jedward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Westernview

I agree. It's a bit like on TV where the presenter has become more important and higher paid than the guests. The late late under Tubridy one of the more obvious examples. I think RTE will be the better for the purge longterm.

I wonder about the long term prospects of the Johnnies and others relying on podcasts as their main income. The market seems to be getting more saturated but maybe they have a niche there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Aurelian

No.1 on the Spotify charts and can sell 10k tickets to their gigs at €60 a pop so they are in a much better position than the random DJ who might get a few years on 2fm then out the door...

That's it in a nutshell. They might as well strike while the iron is hot and make as much money as they can from being professional culchies. It might be enough to keep them going for decades to come, or we could be asking "Johnny who?" in ten years time. Who knows? Tastes change and there are always new people and ideas coming along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭AyeGer

they’ll probably need to adapt a bit to extend their career in entertainment industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Junior b numbers those lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭squonk

Ah look. Not a fan but they sound like two smart enough lads. I’m sure they have a career plan in place for them both. There are areas like acting there could move to or screen writing. Who knows but I’m sure they have some things mapped out. They’re dead right in the meantime to make hay while the sun shines. You never know when things will change.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Westernview

I don't doubt their currently popularity but I do doubt their longevity. RTE and 2FM is obviously restructuring and in the long run station DJs may have more secure work than podcasters like the Johnnies. The Johnnies have already mentioned the possibility of coming back under different circumstances and they havent even left yet. That doesn't sound to me like they are all that confident of their own future outside the station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭AlanG

RTE released new guidelines on presenters earning additonial income a few weeks ago which meant presenters pretty much had to choose between private podcasts and public service broadcasting. As soon as they came out Ivcan Yeates predicted an exodus on Path to power. So many media people wondering what is going on in 2FM obvioulsy dont actually read the news.

The real question for RTE is what public service does 2FM perform. The managment wanted to ditch their most public service element (ad free RTE Jr.) but they keep the station that has loads of private sector alternatives.

• Advertisement

How much were RTE paying the Johnnies do we know?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

the best thing about that quiz is that i keep thinking its called cockblocker which causes a much needed laugh of an early wet morning in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭yagan

It will be hard for rte to connect to Ireland outside the M50 again, bringing in the two lads brought their audience too.

To me before now 2fm could just be another Dublin centric centre.

I won't be surprised if part of leaving means not having to indulge rte furniture like Lottie. I had to turn it off while she was on, and I reckon the lads just grin and bare it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I think they know that, and probably decided to give it 5 hard years and try to set themselves up for life. Selling 10,000 tickets at €60 a pop means there's a bit of mileage in them yet. Can't blame them for that.

RTE will always take them back for another 10 years once they've done the circuit.

They were on about €170K a year each it seems. Probably linked to increased listenership, which I think went up about 40%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Bring back Dan and Becs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,774 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They had a daily listenership of about 150k to plug their podcast and live shows to that will now gone and give it a year and they will disapper in nothingness would be my guess how many of those 150k will pay 9.99 a month or whatever they will charge for the same one trick pony show.

Are they going to bring Zamparelli & Garrihy in on their podcast as a group and live shows and then split the 9.99 four ways or are they going to compete with those two.

Realistically who is going to pay for something they got for free on 2fm and a stage show once a year for €60.

The same goes for Zamparelli & Garrihy who is going to pay 9.99 or whatever a month to listen to them and without the downloads and pod listenership they won't get the real money which from ad revenue

Self employed now paying rent and hire of venues, hiring a producer to work with them there is logistics there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Lillie Defeated Wintergreen

You could tell they hated dealing with her, making like snide/taking shots at her…..but i found that a lot found her irritating to deal with

I think they're a lot more looser/risque tbf on the shows not under RTE umbrella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,774 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That's fair enough the D'Unbelievables made a very decent living touring the country as a double act for a few years.

Is it a short term gain they are going for not thinking of the long term game.

They aren't my cup of tea so at the end of the day it has no effect to me howver you have to say fair to get if they can get the next 20 years out of podcasts and live shows and make retirement money.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

2FM mightn't be a safe long-term bet either. They're flavour of the month at the moment but it's hard to stay at that level. If the public ever tires of them, the 2FM job mightn't be a certainty either. They're still young enough to get away with being laddish but leave it another decade and they'll be pushing 50.

Advertisement