Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed assets Written-off by Insurance company

Options
  • 01-04-2024 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I've a vehicle in my fixed assets book that is being written-off by the insurance (road accident).

The insurance payout is higher than the original vehicle value ( too long to explain here).

How to I record this profit in sales/fixed assets. Here are few figures for argument purposes.

Original vehicle Value €7500.

1st January 24 Accumulated depreciation €1,800

Current depreciation on 31st March 24: €450 (1.800/12=150 for 3 months 150*3=450)

Written down Book value on 31st March 24: € 5,250 (7.500- (1.800+450))

Insurance payout €10,000 (vehicle market value 8,500+1,500 additional cost branding cost, security cost, custom fittings etc.)

How do I go to record those values in the fixed assets book and the profit made how it's dealt with.

Thank you.

AM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

"Gain on disposal" is what I would use

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

DR gain/loss on disposal of fixed assets, CR motor vehicle disposals - this will get rid of the vehicle from the balance sheet, use the full cost of the vehicle on the balance sheet

DR depreciation removal on disposal (or similar), CR gain/loss on disposal of fixed assets - this will get rid of the accumulated depreciation, use the full amount of depn on the balance sheet attributable to that vehicle

The bank receipt should then also be posted to gain/loss on disposal of fixed assets, and this will then leave the net gain in the P&L

Advertisement