Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge recommendation

Options
  • 01-04-2024 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi all, new to the whole gardening thing. I'm looking for recommendations for a hedge type that would be narrow and dense if such a thing exists. I've a 3 foot wall that I would like to plant a hedge behind that would grow to over it and only be about 1 foot thick. Preferably green all year round, anyone got any recommendations? Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

I cant advise, I only dabble in gardening. But theres a Facebook page you should join where you'you'll get great advice…Gardening Tips Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yew would be a good candidate there OP.

Been making a comeback in popularity in recent years, seeing a lot more of it being used in small town gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

Box leaf honeysuckle is another option for a small evergreen hedge.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭phormium

I was going to suggest the above too, Lonerica Nitida as you will see it normally named in garden centres. I have a very nice hedge of this, I would say though it is more than a foot thick, bit hard to keep it that narrow as it matures, mine is about 5ft high but could be cut lower of course. Grows fairly fast and requires a bit of maintenance to keep neat, during summer I would nearly trim it monthly at least to keep it neat, very easy to cut though as small leaves. Very frost hardy, it replaced a grisilinia hedge I lost during bad snow some years back whenever that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Prefect, thanks everyone. Off to the garden centre to look at yew and honeysuckle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

OPOany hedge will need to be 3-4 feet in width. A climber/creeper maybe a better option like an Ivy. A goid option might be Virginia creeper. It is very dense and is nearly a foot thick. It will not grow much higher than the wall.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭phormium

I keep my Lonicera hedge to below 2ft thick, I haven't measured it exactly but it's definitely only around that, I did ensure it was tied in well to the wall when growing so there is no gap there.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I have a bay hedge that i keep around 5 feet tall and 1.5/2 feet thick. It makes a lovely looking hedge

Advertisement