Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public servant that despises the government

• 01-04-2024 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

Spoke recently to a public servant that cannot abide the government, politicians and how badly they are running the country.

I asked why she's still there and replied that at her age she wouldn't get another job.

Anyone out there have opinions on what she could do or the situation itself.

I think once you do you job (administration/public facing role)effectively and efficiently and your views do not cause problems it's okay.

Psychologically it can't be good IMO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

There was an error displaying this embed.

Governments change. I'm sure someone working for them knows that and has worked for various governments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭spark_tank

She gets on with it. The same as the millions of others who don't like an aspect of their job or employer.

Not every public servant voted for the current government and it would be ridiculous to think otherwise. Many won't vote for them next time.

Does she have any issue with it? Or is it just you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,032 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

She's probably right: the public sector is one of the few places that doesn't age discriminate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Wow…. this may come as a shock but this is not that uncommon. As you get older your options become more limited and you may just have to work at place were you are not happy - but you do it for your family, because you need the money, the pension etc….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Ted222

I’m

I’m assuming it’s a government department rather than the wider public sector.

There are hundreds of people in the system who would feel the same, particularly those of an older vintage who wouldn’t have had many options when they got the job in the first place. It’s a very frustrating experience.

Those of a younger generation have options and I know of several people who have left after a short time, such was their frustration with how the whole government sh1tshow operates.

It suits people who are willing to play the game and sell their souls for career development. There are also some genuine souls who have an interest in public service.

But for many, it’s just a slog that you have to put with until such time as you cash out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You do realise an entire department staff doesn't change every time the government does, right??? Senior (and not-so-senior) civil servants of long tenure will have served under multiple minsters and governments. Of course they're not going to agree with the policies and politics of all of them.

I'm kind of shocked that this would come as a surprise to anyone, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭_H80_GHT

It can't. Which leads me to believe a lil' pot stirring is the reason for this threads existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,086 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'm finding it hard to take this seriously. The public service isn't dependent on the current government. Governments come and go. Being a public servant doesn't necessitate being a government party supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Public servants don't work in Government Departments. Civil Servants do.

A change in government can mean some reorganising within a Department senior management, but more often than not it's business as usual.

Ministers come and go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭dazzler101

I'm sure most Civil/Public servants don't agree with how the country is currently being run.

What they do care about is their work life balance, flextime, recession proof job, pension, parental leave, shorter working year etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Ted222

It may be an unhappiness with the government system rather than the government itself. It can be a frustrating and soul destroying pursuit. I can understand why people would hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭mykrodot

many many jobs, both public and private are like this, long hard slogs but they pay the bills. Not everyone is in a position to change job due to location, family circumstances etc.

I worked a contract in a Government department after a previous working life in private sector. It paid the bills for that period but it was mind numbingly boring work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

There isn't really a major difference in politics between FG and FF in my opinion which is all we have ever had with the odd flavour of PD's, Labour, Green along the way from coalitions. Its all pretty much in the centre and the only rent divisive issues were things like divorce, abortion, gay marriage which I think everyone has wildly varying opinions on despite political affiliations.

Now if Sinn Fein get in, it could be a different story from the status quo, or God forbid a more right wing party rose up the likes which have only had one or two TD's to date like Aontu, Renu etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,306 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tough shyt.

If its that much a point of principle for her, she'd quit anyway and do literally ANYTHING else, while becoming politically active to get the current government out.

But obviously it isn't.

• When I started working in 1979 you did not easily change job, there was rather a stigma to not sticking with your job for some considerable time, and you did not give up a public service job easily. I developed serious health problems, which were back in the day compatible with the then generous sick leave allowances. I stuck to the job only because it would be foolish not to in my circumstance, also having started work more or less straight from LC, I was qualified for little else. It was a job I was stuck in, sometimes I liked it when not public facing, I preferred being particularly good at the admin & IT & creative end of things, and my job did involve an interesting and latterly often very demanding mix of multitasking. The pension was always on the horizon and after a cardiac episode at work I was glad to be afforded early retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Anyone out there have opinions on what she could do or the situation itself.

What's the 'situation' exactly though?

I'm assuming this is a junior person who has no direct contact with ministers, and in reality most civil servant jobs are unaffected day-to-day by whichever government is in charge.

You can remind her there will be an election next year but I guarantee you the response will be "sure the next crowd will be as bad".

The "situation" is 100% your friend. Remind her that she has a job for life with T&C that many people would kill for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

On boards, everyone seems to hate or strongly dislike who they work for.

I seriously doubt if dispising the government has any relevance to working in the civil services.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Couple of points……

I'd say the number of people who truly despise their employers is low enough as to be statistically unimportant

I'd say the number of people who dislike their job is much, much higher

I'd say the number of people who dislike their employer or the company they work for is over 90%+

I'd say the percentage of civil/public servants who dislike the government is greater than the percentage in the private sector

"The Government" doesn't run any particular department or organisation in the civil/public service, they have very little input on most of the day-to-day stuff

If every employee who had an issue with how their parent company/organisation/department was being run, unemployment would be rife

Life sucks, grab a helmet, join the queue

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

I guess the person has issues carrying out work that doesn't sit well with them.

Personally I couldn't do the job they do. Giving handouts to the world.

Advertisement