Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need mechanic for MG BGT

Options
  • 02-04-2024 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Brought this home from a Blanchardstown dealer and have a head full of plans.

Moss France is selling me a key less entry kit because any gurrier with a blunt bread knife can unlock the drivers door and steal the car. Ask me how I know.

Anyway, I need a clever auto electrician in the Dun Laoghaire area to install the kit. Can anyone make a recommendation?

Also, I've been told there is a master mechanic for English cars somewhere around Bray. Any idea who he is?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭JP 1800

Is it just the the driver side door that can be unlocked?, if that is the case just get new door locks and avoid all the messing around with keyless entry. The security on those period of cars was minimal to begin with and keyless entry may do bugger all to improve that. Fitting the keyless entry may give issues if the battery runs flat or there is a remote fob issue, immobiliser issue. The best security for a classic car is having it out of sight in a garage or under cover and visible deterrents such as wheel clamps or steering locks. Removing the rotor arm is also a good way of immobilising a classic car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I think it's Johnny Flynn you're after.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.351352588268913&s=15&_rdr

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Silver Breeze

Thank you Mr C!!!

You're welcome :)

I forgot to add, he used to be in Dun Laoghaire years ago but has moved to the Bray/Wicklow area now, I think, but it's the same guy. He's a very experienced guy.

I was looking at Moss France, I might consider something similar, but could not find the kit you mentioned. I've a Mercedes so maybe you found it by entering your model? I'd not be looking for keyless, just a fob to open the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭JP 1800

Yes Johnny Flynn sounds familiar and was based down in Dun Laoghaire and I recall was based just off Adelaide street or Lane. The last time I was down that way was at least 15 years ago so was unsure if he retired. Its good to see he is still in business and is very highly regarded amongst the classic British car owners.

Mr C depending on what Mercedes you have it would likely be a vacuum based central locking system and may require a remote vacuum actuator.

@Silver Breeze Thanks! Looks like a good kit. I've been thinking about this on and off the last few years so your post reminded me of it. And yes, as @JP 1800 noted I already have central locking via a vacuum system, so probably just need a valve/actuator and the fob receiver. I'm sure it's been done before.

Re Johnny, he raced Formula VW for many years, at the front, his cars were always very well prepared as you might expect, so you might know him from that as well as his business.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bluesteely

Hi @Silver Breeze, Michael Lyons in Spanish Point is your man for all things MG:

https://www.lyonsgarages.com/

Thanks for that, but I found a good guy not far away in Dun Laoghaire.

Advertisement