Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How could this end up in my septic tank!!!!!!

• 02-04-2024 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4 clar62

Hi all, l'm new to this so hope you can see this post. I'm writing because l have the craziest mystery going on! So, the pump in our septic tank was making a strange sound and husband investigated to find that the issue was a sock! A small sock the type l or my daughters might wear inside runners. I must clarify that l know absolutely nothing about septic tanks or plumbing, but what l do know is that neither myself or our adult daughters would have flushed our socks down the toilet! Husband is adamant thats the only way a sock can get into septic tank but l know theres no way we did that! For my own sanity, l'm wondering if theres another way, like could there be any possibility of it getting in from the washing machine by any chance? Its a crazy question l know, but l would appreciate any possible answers to this mystery! Thanks for reading.

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Sorry but you or your daughters are in the wrong here. No way would that sock (even those thin nylon ones) get into the septic tank via the washing machine as its pump would have got blocked. It had to go in down the drains and most likely the toilet.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Hooked

Just spotted this on the main page… LOL. Intrigued.

Had others been living in this house previously? Could the sock be (in the system) from a previous owner?

If not - then it must have made it's way into the tank by accident, having fallen out of the linen basket (do ye have one in the bathroom?) and down a drain or down the loo. Or one of your daughters is lying, ha ha.

Coz it ain't getting out of a washing machine through the filter/hose/pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭jamesd

Wash basket close to the toilet ?

• It’s entirely impossible for that to have come from the washing machine. They are designed to safely pass things like small buttons and coins and maybe fluff though the pump.

Unless someone were maybe hand washing socks and emptied the basin down the loo I can’t see how else it could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 clar62

Omg lads the plot thickens! Its definitely one of our socks. The wash basket is in the bathroom, not particularly close to the toilet, but its coming out of there right away! Omg l truly expected you all to say that it could have got in via the washing machine! Looks like l need to cut me a very big slice of humble pie..... can't believe it! 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

I would imagine that the sock being so small was stuck in your trousers when taking them off one night, put them on the following day and when going to the toilet it fell down.

There is no other way

• Registered Users Posts: 4 clar62

Think you could be on to something there Steven81....has to be something along those lines....what a crazy thing to happen! Im just glad it didnt cause the pump to burn out! 😳

Advertisement