Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off GP

Options
  • 02-04-2024 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I may be wrong to find this ridiculous, which is why I’m posting here…My son was having bloods taken and the GP sent a prescription beforehand (I was charged €15 for the prescription) for numbing gel for my son’s arm. The box of numbing gel pads was €27. I was then charged €40 for the blood test. The whole thing cost €82, and I know I’ll never get that back, but is my ranting to anyone who’ll listen over the top? I have no problem paying for the bloods just the prescription and the numbing gel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did you ask for the numbing pads? They aren't a standard requirement.

My GP, who I know is thunderingly expensive, charged me 115 for blood tests and will charge again for the review appointment. I can get an appointment same day most of the time though; that's what I pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DaireMacC

€115-that is expensive! I’ll have to pay for the review appointment too.

No, I didn’t ask for the numbing pads. He said he wasn’t happy taking bloods from children without numbing the area first, fair enough, but the things came individually wrapped so he wasn’t wasting a tube on one patient. I don’t know why I had to pay for the numbing gel and prescription. The practice is annoying me a little at the moment, there’s only one “issue” allowed per each 15 minute consultation signs all over the waiting room, as well as pay €70 before you’re seen. Maybe this is the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,946 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sounds like time to change GP. I moved GP when we moved to Meath and even though I now live in wexford I keep the same GP as good GPs are hard to find. Remember, you're the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the GP said the pads were a requirement I'd have felt a bit ripped off paying the €15 for the twenty seconds to print the script; but not whatever they actually cost in the pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

If you have health insurance, some insurers give money back on prescriptions and blood tests. You can also put all health costs through revenue and claim 20% tax relief.

Otherwise, be thankful, some of us without medical cards have to pay €80 for prescriptions every month for life plus extra for GP visits etc. despite having a chronic illness.

However, I do find the GP service in general has became more expensive in the last 2 to 3 years and availability of appointments has diminished. Likewise, very few surgeries are taking on new customers due to lack of GPs and increasing demand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was at the GP a fortnight ago with a kidney infection.

As part of the session, my urine was given a quick analysis. The doc then decided to prescribe a course of antibiotics and while arranging it had my usual prescription for meds sent over to the chemist (needs to be repeated every six months).

I also had a referral to for a CT scan and referral to a urologist for some just-in-case checks.

The doc also decided to take a blood sample to get my bloods done (this is something I usually do annually on my birthday so I got it a few months early).

Total charge = €40* (no medical card, insurance or any other reductions in case you're wondering)

* although the urologist visit set me back €220 so far but that's obviously separate

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DaireMacC

€40, That’s really good value. It might be time to shop around for a new GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

it’s now 70 euros to see my GP.

Yes they are usually excellent, I’ve had one poor experience there in about 15 years.

I’ve just looked to reconfirm the charges and it’s annoying to see that they’ve taken down the charges page.

Which is stupid because they offer everything from general consultations, travel vaccines, physiotherapy, psychological therapy, female reproductive checks/sexual health clinics and contraception procedures / implants / coils etc….

You’d think they want the prices up there to stop people phoning and you can’t even book your appointment online you have to phone now…it’s a bit mad.

I was wondering is the reason for not having a price list anything to do with how frequently the charges are changing that they don’t think it’s worth it as presumably their website provider charges them to update it.!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭lau1247

Keep the receipt for them all, you can claim 20% back as minimum from your tax returns. It might not be much but better than nothing.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/health-and-age/health-expenses/index.aspx

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭JVince

If you have Laya health cover you have free online GP

If you don't, you can pay for online consultation (Zoom or other face to face screen system)

I have found them to be superb for anything we've needed that did not have to be an in-person visit

https://www.webdoctor.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

GP in France charge 26.50.

It's due to rise to 30 soon.

Advertisement