Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Sky customers record from RTE2 ?

Options
  • 02-04-2024 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Hi all,

Just wondering if people who get their TV from Sky can record from RTE2 ?

I can't seem to on my Eir supplied box.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

Yes absolutely. I have sky Q and can record any channel except stuff like background added channels like UTV which is not available on normal system.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That won’t be true of Sky Glass/Stream, which use a playlist system instead.

• There's a HDD in Sky Q boxes, so it just records anything that it can watch within its own EPG, exactly the same way Sky+ worked.

Unfortunately the rights holders are becoming a pain in the rear for IPTV based products, so effectively hobbling them.

I think they're going to shoot themselves in the foot though as more people will just end up giving up on television if you start making it more awkward to watch.

I have EirTV at the moment and while it's a decent product and it's nice to be able to roll back in time on the schedule, it's a bit crap not being able to record certain channels and it's often quite random.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

RTE don't currently allow any of the streaming providers to offer cloud recording, forcing you to use the various catch-up services or RTE player. While unrestricted recording was available on the old hard-disk boxes (including the former eir Vision box), all the providers are moving away from hard-disk boxes to streaming boxes with cloud recording. With the satellite and coax cable TV services shutting down over the next few years, streaming will be the only game in town, and RTE are clearly using this as an opportunity to force you to watch their advertising. Unfortunate, but probably unavoidable. At least BBC don't carry advertising, and Eir TV offers unrestricted recording of the UK channels.

Advertisement